This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove scleral lens--they stuck in my eyes

Hi!it is my third day wearing scleral lens, I can't feel the lens in my eyes today, which is nice, But my eyes do feel "tired". Today I wear it for 10 hours, and at night when I want to take them out, they just get so tight and stuck in my eyes. It take me 40 minutes trying to get them out of my eyes and my eyes become blood-shut. I try to put some artificial tears or move my eye balls, but didn't work too much. How do you do if the lens stuck in your eyes? Will them harm my scleral?

Carol

Sounds like it might have tightened up a bit?

Sometimes it can be really hard to break the suction. What I'd do if a lens is stuck is get it really wet, then when you put the plunger on it to remove it, don't pull straight out: first try to twist the lens a bit or rotate it. Like if the plunger is at 3:00 position, try to move it towards the 4:00 position before pulling outwards.

Also if you have another remover try it instead. Removers usually last a long time but sometimes there's one that just doesn't do a good job of suction for very long.

Sometimes the lens that you can't feel at all means the lens is too tight.

Don't leave it in overnight... call the doctor's office if possible.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Are you using the little plunger tool to take it out? I think it is actually easier to break the suction using your fingers to remove the lens. I just can't stand the thought of doing that so I use a plunger. It is important to use the plunger on the outside edge of the lens and not the middle.

I hadn't heard Rebecca's tip of rotating the lens before but it makes a lot of sense. There is a video with tips on removing lenses here: http://www.sclerallens.org/how-use-scleral-lenses

Good luck.

Comment

I just took out my lens and remembered another tip to pass on. If you use a plunger, wet it with a drop of saline to increase the suction.

Comment

Working...
        X