Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Addipak (.9% saline) in place of artificial tears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addipak (.9% saline) in place of artificial tears?

I know farmgirl uses saline because she's rejected most otc drops. I believe I'm in the same position...so I'm curious if there's a danger or downside to using strictly addipaks instead of otc tears? I bought them to use after my compress and I'm realizing my eyes feel comfortable. No weirdness like with systane ultra or theratears (the only brands I can stand at all anymore)?

So just curious who else out there does this. I read Rebecca say in her blog, can't remember where, saline is great for those burning days...but don't replace your drops with saline. I really want to know why she warned against that.

Thanks!

Why not autologous?

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      Why not autologous?
      I'm taking 50% 4x a day and 20% 8-12 times a day. But I still need more drops...to clean my eyes after compress, in the middle of the night...because I would waste serum as it would tear out of my eye when I laid back down.

Comment

Dowork123, I do it myself, but I do also believe there's a downside. Saline has no lubricating properties. I mean, it's wet, but has no staying power. I think that overusing saline is counterproductive (washes any good stuff out of the eyes, same way reflex tears do - leaving you feel drier). But then we all have different needs and for some at times it's worth the tradeoffs. My tolerance for drops is pretty low so I tend to prefer saline but then for me it's mostly about over top of the lenses, and I'm very much aware when I overdo it of how it affects me.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X