This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to scelra lens

I just got my new Europa lens yesterday and so far I am very happy with them. I wore them for 8.5 hours yesterday with no pain at all. I do seem to have a problem with the clouding up in the left eye (which is weird because that is not the eye that is the driest). I go back to the Dr in a week (he wanted me to give them a weeks worth of wear to see what else comes up). I am thinking the fit may be off so I am thinking this one will need to go back for an adjustment. But so far so good with them. Except for having to take it out and reapply I am so far very happy.

Anyone have any suggestions on the clouding part (if I can do anything to improve this)? Oh funny, I was so worried about putting them in and taking them out, but the Dr said I was the only one he has seen, put the lens in so perfectly the first time with no bubbles (he said he has fit hundreds of people for these lenss of these lens). I have yet to get an air bubble. He joked about me coming in to teach his patients how to put them in LOL. Taking them out was a little harder for me when I first tried it, but after a few times now piece of cake

Hi. The clouding of the scleral lenses could be caused by two things. One may be that there is debris/discharges from your eye getting under the lens, "messing up" the fluid in the lens. The second reason may be that you may be smearing a bit of oil from your finger, either natural oil or from a lotion, on the surface of the lens. Try replacing the fluid in the lens, and wait a few minutes. If the fluid stays clear, then it's probably the debris. If the cloudiness reappears in a few minutes, it's probably the oil on the surface. If debris are getting under your lens, it could be that it is fitting loose, however this can change in a few days as the lens settles on your cornea. I.e. I wouldn't rush to being concerned. If it's oil on the surface, I would be more careful about washing your hands with oil free soap before handling your lenses. Personally, I like the dishwash liquid the best, because I can be sure it is free of any oil.

Comment

miki: in your opinion then, would it be best then to avoid all oils near the eyes - such as Jojoba, Castor, Coconut, or facial moisturizers containing oils (all a part of my current regimen) if I end up getting sclerals?

Comment

Thank you miki-mama for your reply. I do believe it is the debris. I know this can be an issue. When I take it out and rinse and reapply it does clear up. I understand the lens needs time to settle, that is why my Dr suggested waiting a week (of good wear) to see where we are at with the fit. I think they may have to be taken back for an adjustment. He said almost everyone needs at least one adjustment. If I haver to take them out once/twice a day that is what I have to do because it is so much better then the vision and pain I was dealing with before. The cloudiness is not so bad I can see, it is just annoying ugh LOL. I am wondering too if it is somewhat because I am producing more tears (not) with the restasis and on top of all 4 ducks beling plugged, I am having to much mucus and tears in my eyes, sometimes tears drip down my face. But I am also afraid to have my upper plugs removed. I will see what the Dr suggested on wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
          miki: in your opinion then, would it be best then to avoid all oils near the eyes - such as Jojoba, Castor, Coconut, or facial moisturizers containing oils (all a part of my current regimen) if I end up getting sclerals?
          Yes, MGD666. I would avoid any oil products near your eyes while wearing your scleral lenses. The oil smears the surface and distorts the vision, as well as cause discomfort, because the lens surface with oil smeared is not as smooth as the one without.

Comment

Originally posted by alb1967 View Post
            Thank you miki-mama for your reply. I do believe it is the debris. I know this can be an issue. When I take it out and rinse and reapply it does clear up. I understand the lens needs time to settle, that is why my Dr suggested waiting a week (of good wear) to see where we are at with the fit. I think they may have to be taken back for an adjustment. He said almost everyone needs at least one adjustment. If I haver to take them out once/twice a day that is what I have to do because it is so much better then the vision and pain I was dealing with before. The cloudiness is not so bad I can see, it is just annoying ugh LOL. I am wondering too if it is somewhat because I am producing more tears (not) with the restasis and on top of all 4 ducks beling plugged, I am having to much mucus and tears in my eyes, sometimes tears drip down my face. But I am also afraid to have my upper plugs removed. I will see what the Dr suggested on wednesday.
            Hi, alb1967. So glad for you that your lenses make you feel better. Yes, most people go through multiple pairs of lenses during the scleral lens fittings. So, I would not be surprised when you return to your doctor next week, he will want you to try another pair for a week. Hopefully s/he is not too far away for your visits. If tears drip down your face, sounds to me like your have too many plugs. I have all four ducts cauterized (where they fuse them shut with heat), but I do not produce any tear at all. In terms of rising the lenses occasionally throughout the day, personally, I think it is a good practice to remove the lenses to release the pressure that some times get built, and replace the old saline with fresh one. I replace the saline in my lenses 2-3 days if I'm somewhere I can, just because it makes me feel better.

Comment

Thanks miki-mama yes I think it is a good idea to clean them through the day as well. Any suggestions on when you are out (say at the mall or a football game) where to take them out and clean them ? Do you just go to a regular restroom ? You know I took them out once already and I started to cloud up not long after. maybe it is oil on the lens. I use Ivory bar soar (which my Dr said was ok) but maybe this is not what I should use. Any suggestions on soap to lcean your hands with?

Comment

I usually carry my "scleral supply kit" which includes a small packet of tissue, sm bottle of antibacterial gel, bottle of unisol, lens case and a plunger. I rinse my lenses in my car if it's nearby, where I keep additional supply such as a roll of paper towel and a box of Kleenex. If not, I go to the rest room, put down a thick layer of paper towels and rinse right on the paper towel stack (not over the sink). I would never handle my lenses in a less than pristine public restroom, though. Too risky for contamination! I used to be self conscious about handling my lenses it in front of other people. But these days, I just whip out my kit and rinse my lenses in the middle of a restaurant at my table. As for the soap, Ivory bar soap should be o.k. I just avoid any that says it includes moisturizer or one that is heavily scented. When ever at home, I always use the dishwash liquid to wash my hands. Once you get oil on the lens, you have to use a cleaner to clean and rinse with saline to get it off. One time I was driving and got oil smear on my lens. No matter how much artificial tears I put in and blinked, I couldn't get rid of it. So, I pulled over, disinfected my fingers with alcohol gel, dunked the lens in the conditioning solution which is also cleaner in my lens case, rubbed it clean, rinsed with saline and put the lens back in. And it was like a different world!

Comment

miki-mama thank you for all your responses, I appreciate all the suggestions. Wow how can you do the removal and reinsertion in your car, that takes skills LOL. I assume I will get much more use to take them in and out as time goes on. It will be like second nature. I also assume you carry a small mirror ? I did not know you can clean your hands with alcohol gel. Also when you say conditioning solution, I assume you mean all purpose contact lens solution (not the clear clean solution we use to store them at night)? My Dr said only use that solution for storing at night and must be stored at least 6 hours. Also when you are in a public restroom, where do you go to clean them ? I mean since we have to bend over and look in a mirror (and you do not do it over a sink), where do you sit to do it ? To be honest, I am not at all embarrassed about having to remove my lens in public. We all have this terrible disease and if this is what makes us feel better than that is what we have to do I guess all these things I will figure out as time goes on, but for now, I can say I am happy I got these lens. I just wish I had went to this Dr 6 mos ago (he is the one that explanined to me why I was having the ghosting issues in my vision, it was due to not having much oil anymore to mask the small irregularies in my cornea from lasik). If I had went to him 6 mos ago I would have had them and had been wearing them instead of dealing with all these vision problems. Also one other thing, I what type or artificial tears do you use with scelra lens ?

Comment

miki-mama, I too am impressed that you can take the lenses out and reinsert them anywhere, even in your car! I can understand the restroom thing but the car, amazing. Where do you put all the bottles of solution and things, and the mirror? Do you carry hand sanitizer also to clean your hands first? Or something else?
                    alb1967, to answer one of your questions, you can stand and lean over a mirror to put them in. I actually find that easier than sitting. Do you have Jupiters? I find that if I don't get the insertion exactly right they will cloud. My dr. confirmed this, if there is even the tiniest air bubble, too small for you to be aware of, it can happen. Taking them out and reinserting fixes that for me.

Comment

I've been wearing these lenses (not the same pair!) for almost 15 years, now. So, I can remove/insert while sleep walking. I use only one plunger (the larger one for inserting) for both removal and insertion. So, I never need to touch the lenses with my fingers. If the lens gets cloudy and I need to rinse it out at a public restroom, I lay down a thick layer of paper towels on the countertop away from the sinks, where I place the lens case and Unisol. I quickly remove and swish the lens in the Simplus solution in the lens case, rinse with Unisol and fill up the lens and reinsert. It takes me all of 15 seconds. In my car, I usually have a box of kleenex or a roll of paper towel. I place either on my lap, place another sheet of paper towel in the cup holder for the Unisol. I place the lens case with Simplus on the paper towel on my lap, CAREFULLY open the lens cap, remove my lens, swish in Simplus, rinse and reinsert.. I emphasized CAREFULLY, because I have tipped the lens case over and spilled the simplus solution out a few times. I'm sure if my doctors read what I do with my lenses, they will have a heart attack!

Comment

Nightbird- I have the Europa lens which is the next generation of the Jupiter lens. I have never stood up to put them in. I have only sat at a table. Granted I have only had them for a week so I am sure the more I take them in and out I will get more use to it. I have had an air bubble twice but I have not been able to see it by looking in the mirror. The only way I knew I had one, was the fact that when I blinked the bubble would rotate under the lens. It was the weirdest thing LOL. I had them in for 4 hrs the other day when I went to my Drs appt. There was a little cloudiness then but he said it was very minimal debri under the lens. Next time he checks them, I will make sure I have them in a lot longer. I had to give them back so he could send them out for modification (I was so sad LOL). I get them back next week. My lenses are for dry up but more for vision. I have an irregular astigmatism from my lasik (which did not bother me until I got dry eye). So I am very happy with the lenses even if I have to take them out and reapply.

miki-mama very impressive. I am not sure I can ever be that talented. Thank you for all the suggestions about being out in public. I am sure the more I have the lens, the more comfortable I will get with taking them in and out. I now have 2 sets of plungers, one for home and one for my purse. I also keep a lens case and Bio True solution and vials of PF saline in a baggy in my purse so I am always ready to go. I have never been a bib purse kind of girl but I have to now

Comment

That's funny you call it a talent! Ha ha! Anything you do multiple times daily for over a decade, you will get very good at it.

Here are some tricks I learned to prevent the bubbles.

(1) fill the lens with saline with a slow flow. Squirting hard causes bubbles.
                          (2) as you insert the lens, I let the fluid touch the cornea for a 1/2 a second before releasing the lens. The surface of the cornea "pops" the bubbles as you would with the tip of your finger. I always over fill the lens slightly.

If you find a bubble dancing around in front of you like an elephant blocking your view at an unfortunately moment, such as driving or at the theatre where you can't stop and rinse out your lenses, I close my eyes slightly, and look down at my feet for a few seconds. Doing this sends the bubbles to the bottom of the lens, allowing you to see. If the bubble is large enough, it will actually cause dryness in your cornea. In this case, only thing you can do is reinsert.

Best of luck with your new lenses!!

Comment

Thanks miki-mama for all the good advice !! So where are you located. I am in KY GO WILDCATS !!

Comment

OK one more question, if everyone does not mind I say that I am experiencing cloudiness in my lens but after 4 hrs of wear my Dr said he said minimal (very little) debri. Could this actually be fogginess from the eyelid drying the lens out instead of cloudiness ? Should I try a drop of preservatine free artifial tears when this happens first to see if that clears it up, before taking it out and reinserting?

Comment

Working...
                              X