Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebecca:what are the key differences between BFS Scleral & others ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebecca:what are the key differences between BFS Scleral & others ?

Rebecca hi:

I've been reading about your and other folks wonderful experience with BFS Scleral, and after trying everything I could possibly think of (I might miss a few alternatives-so if u have ideas pls go ahead by all means), it seems to me that BFS scleral could potentially help me to have a more normal life and work.

With that in mind, the cost issue is with no doubt the main barrier, hence I have a few questions if you don't mind:

(1) how do you explain the cost difference between BFS and other vendors, and how important are those differences

(2) what parameters and key issue should I look at when comparing differenct sclerals and professionals who fit it ?

(3) does a flaw fitting process, lense material could have implication about my health, solving my DES problems and any associated future costs ?

(4) is this common and acceptable to contact BFS in case one has no or very limited financial resource and what is the procedure in this case ?

I am quite desperate for an effective solution and became convinced that if something could make a significant difference it's the scleral, and if not then I'm in a big problem....on that note, how does the slceral work with MGD ?

Thank you in advance,

H

Hi Hosados,

I really don't have the knowledge to answer these questions but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Originally posted by HOSADOS View Post
    (1) how do you explain the cost difference between BFS and other vendors, and how important are those differences
    Pretty straightforward. BFS is a nonprofit foundation and this is all they do: their entire staff, facility and equipment exist to develop and design and fit sclerals for a variety of indications. The lenses are manufactured on site. I got an email from them yesterday with a nice photo composite of current staff, which includes 7 doctors, 7 clinical support staff, 6 front office staff, 11 admin, support & research staff, and 6 lab personnel. The cost of the lens fittings (when you figure all the overheads etc) exceeds what they charge and the difference is funded through corporate and individual donations.

In any of the more conventional settings for acquiring sclerals, you're looking at (usually) a single or multi-practitioner optometry practice. They provide a fitting service - or, in some cases like DrG, a unique design service - and the lenses are manufactured offsite. So the optometrist's cost base is more about the professional time spent on fitting and, in some cases, the time & equipment investments for research and design.

(2) what parameters and key issue should I look at when comparing differenct sclerals and professionals who fit it ?
    Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on the details. I'd look at the track record in general and with people like you, i.e. what's their overall success rate (and how did they measure it!!) and are there people in a similar situation to you who are happy with their lenses.

(3) does a flaw fitting process, lense material could have implication about my health, solving my DES problems and any associated future costs ?
    I'm not sure I understand the question here.

(4) is this common and acceptable to contact BFS in case one has no or very limited financial resource and what is the procedure in this case ?
    Absolutely standard, and even if you don't bring it up they probably will. Call and ask for Bill Rosenthal and don't be shy about asking any and every question you have.

on that note, how does the slceral work with MGD ?
    I have MGD. As long as it's under reasonable control, I don't personally see any major implications for scleral wear.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X