This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of questions re. synergeyes and PROSE

1. I was wondering if Synergeyes and the Boston Prose lens are basically the same thing?

2. How soon after Lasik can one be fitted with these lenses, generally?
    3. Can they be worn with moderate to severe dry eyes?

4. I understand there is a bubble of liquid that keeps the cornea moist. How does the remainder of the eye stay moist when you have dry eyes? Do you continue with lubrication drops?

5. Would these contacts promote corneal healing or regeneration?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Bella
    Last edited by Hopeful2; 02-Aug-2011, 05:54. Reason: spacing

Originally posted by bella_girl View Post
    1. I was wondering if Synergeyes and the Boston Prose lens are basically the same thing?
    Nope, completely different.

Synergeyes is a hybrid lens, gas perm center with a soft "skirt". PROSE (and any other scleral lens) is entirely made of rigid gas permeable materials AND does not touch the cornea.

2. How soon after Lasik can one be fitted with these lenses, generally?
    Doctors will vary in their opinions. Commonly they will discourage the use of any rigid lenses that ride on the cornea within the first 6 months. Sclerals don't ride the cornea, but I don't think I've known anyone who pursued them very quickly after surgery.

3. Can they be worn with moderate to severe dry eyes?
    Synergeyes probably not. Sclerals yes, though not always successfully.

4. I understand there is a bubble of liquid that keeps the cornea moist. How does the remainder of the eye stay moist when you have dry eyes? Do you continue with lubrication drops?
    Some people do, some don't use drops over the top. The lid-lens interface in a very dry eye can be a challenge but not necessarily a deal breaker. I know people who wear prose on substantially drier eyes than most of us here have.

5. Would these contacts promote corneal healing or regeneration?
    Sclerals can promote healing because they isolate the cornea and I know they sometimes use PROSE on a short-term therapeutic basis.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca!

If I understand correctly, a PROSE lens is one big gas permeable lens that does not touch the cornea.

I gather that sclerals is the same as PROSE?

I was just thinking down the road what I might be able to do to improve my post lasik vision. . . poor in dimmer light . . . some loss of contrast (more noticeable in dimmer light).

Thanks again. . . looking forward to trying out my Ziena glasses!

Comment

Originally posted by bella_girl View Post
        If I understand correctly, a PROSE lens is one big gas permeable lens that does not touch the cornea.

I gather that sclerals is the same as PROSE?
        Yes. Scleral simply means any gas permeable lens that vaults the cornea. (Actually have to be a little careful with the term because some providers call a lens a scleral when it only partially vaults the cornea.) PROSE is treatment with the specific type of scleral lens made at Boston Foundation for Sight.

I was just thinking down the road what I might be able to do to improve my post lasik vision. . . poor in dimmer light . . . some loss of contrast (more noticeable in dimmer light).
        Any type of gas perm lens can potentially correct a lot of the spherical aberration that is usually to blame for post lasik vision quality problems including poor contrast. Usually people start with some of the largest corneal or corneal-scleral lenses, and they usually have to be specially designed to accommodate the altered corneal shape, but if there's any significant dry eye in the picture then sometimes it makes more sense to go straight for a scleral and use it as a dual treatment for vision & dryness (as is my case personally).

Synergeyes work for some of these situations too.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

First of all, I am sooo glad that the PROSE lens works well for you!

Good to know that at some point I will probably be able to do something about the less than ideal post lasik vision issues. I guess it is a matter of waiting for the dry eye to improve and the vision to stabilize. . . I'm still hoping for some regression in my overcorrected dominant eye. Glasses with a +1.25 correction ( with - 75 astigmatism), just don't produce the crisp image I'm accustomed to.

I know I would need an eye evaluation before being considered for any lens, I was wondering if there are people out there wearing the PROSE lens with short TBUTs and very low shrimer scores?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X