Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having surgery for block tear ducts/trading problems?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having surgery for block tear ducts/trading problems?!!!

Had dry eyes for years but not as bad as some I read on here. Really bad waking in the morning...need to wet eyes to unstick them from eyelids.

Three years ago I developed excessive tearing...embarrassing...store clerks ask if I'm ok. Great to guilt trip your kids, though..hahaha. Been to 8 doctors for it in the last three years and they all said it was from dry eyes and gave me every eye drop on the market. Went to one who finally tried to flush my tear ducts and said they were stopped up and he needed to make new ones. After reading the problems people have on here I'm afraid ill be trading tearing for excessive dry eyes....

Anyone know anything about this problem or surgery? Thanks so much for any help, y'all.

Hi Elgann,
    Are you referring to DCR surgery? That's what they all recommend if you have blocked tear ducts. I advocate against it and you can read all about it here: http://www.blockedtearductsurgeryadult.com/

Comment

any success stories with dcr or alternative treatments for tearing?

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
      Hi Elgann,
      Are you referring to DCR surgery? That's what they all recommend if you have blocked tear ducts. I advocate against it and you can read all about it here: http://www.blockedtearductsurgeryadult.com/
      after reading that account and battle with dry eyes...I believe I'm going to postpone this surgery. Are there any success stories with dcr?

Comment

Elgann, Yes many have success with DCR and don't develop dry eyes, whilst some do. It depends where you will end up. It's like playing the lottery. I'd encourage you to check out the non-surgical approaches and try them first.

There's another member here who's had DCR and we both wish we had our teary eyes back. Indeed, I'd trade tearing eyes for dry eyes if I had that choice. Dry eyes is worse the tearing eyes, you have PAIN, BURNING and the risk of damage to the surface of your eyes due to dryness and lack of nutrients that tears provide.

Comment

Thanks so much for your input! I don't have much luck gambling...

Comment

I have resisted surgical treatment for my unilaterial nasolacrimal duct obstruction out of a gut feeling that outcome will be difficult to control. My ophthalmologist had no creative ideas, and so I saw an otolaryngologist who had a very thoughtful suggestion for nonsurgical management: He advised me to spray oxymetazoline (e.g., Afrin) into the nostril on the side of the blocked duct, while inhaling, but making sure to tip my face DOWNWARD during inhalation. The trajectory of the drug, from that position, he said, would get it to the duct, rather than up into the sinuses, etc. . .Oxymetazoline, alas, is famous for its rebound effects, if used too often, but I did try this out, on an occasional basis, and it seemed to help a little. . .I suspect it may help some patients a lot, though, and so why not try this during the most drippy days? I also control drippiness by managing my allergies very closely (with OTC meds). . .There's no stopping the drip when the eyes are hit with very cold air. . .but most of the year, if I reduce the reflex tearing (not wishing to restrict the background/steady tearing), the condition is bearable. . .For complete obstruction of the duct, these strategies may not be enough. .but often the nasolacrimal duct obstruction in this condition is intermittent or partial.
            <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

I had some intermittent tear blockage in one eye from trying plugs years ago. With kind of dry eyes I have a lot of debris and I want my tears to drain. Last summer I had an ophthalmogist who specializes in lid surgery put a tiny silicone stent in the upper and lower puncti and they tied off in the nose. It stayed in for 3 months. It seemed to work so far. I made it very clear that I didn't want him to do a DCR if he couldn't advance the stent while I was under anesthesia.

Comment

Working...
              X