PRK to help with dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRK to help with dry eye

I had prk 2+ years ago. 2 months post op, I developed the dry eye, erosions, etc.. more so in one eye

From different doctors I have seen, it is my understanding that the outer cornea layer is not healing and like an open wound it is continually being aggravated, hence the dry eye. The vision in the problem eye has also reverted back to almost -1.5. I have been able to 'somewhat' manage the dry/burning sensations and the erosions, though experience erosions from time to time. One solution suggested is to use prk again to correct the vision, but also remove the surface cells so new cells would hopefully heal and eliminate the dryness.

I know there are multiple types of dry eye causes and solutions. wondering if anyone has had any experience with using prk to deal with this type of dry eye issue.
    thanks.

Originally posted by , ardy View Post
    I had prk 2+ years ago. 2 months post op, I developed the dry eye, esurgeon etc.. more so in one eye

From different doctors I have seen, it is my understanding that the outer cornea layer is not healing and like an open wound it is continually being aggravated, hence the dry eye. The vision in the problem eye has also reverted back to almost -1.5. I have been able to 'somewhat' manage the dry/burning sensations and the erosions, though experience erosions from time to time. One solution suggested is to use prk again to correct the vision, but also remove the surface cells so new cells would hopefully heal and eliminate the dryness.

I know there are multiple types of dry eye causes and solutions. wondering if anyone has had any experience with using prk to deal with this type of dry eye issue.
    thanks.
    Hi ardy,
    I have not heard of. My 2cents worth - What if the cells don't regenerate and dry eyes got worse? No lasik surgeon can guarantee that the cells will regenerate.

Comment

Sorry you are not feeling well Ardy. I also had PRK and severe dry eye two years later. Not sure, but since the PRK caused the dry eye to begin with, I would not think more PRK would be likely to help... Think that I would seek second and third opinions if I were you, preferably from dry eye docs. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Working...
      X