Lifitegrast (Xiidra) Approved by FDA for dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifitegrast (Xiidra) Approved by FDA for dry eye

New Xiidra drops from Shire are supposed to be rolled out in the next few months. Based on the news release it looks like it supposed to decrease inflammation by affecting T-Cells ( kind of like Restasis, but I assume it's a different mechanism). I don't have any idea what thecost will be, but here's to hoping it can help some of us.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/866015

Here is a portion of the news release:

The inflammation associated with dry eye is thought to be primarily mediated by T-cells and associated cytokines. One effect of this process may be increased expression of intracellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1); ICAM 1 may be overexpressed in corneal and conjunctival tissues in dry eye disease. Lifitegrast is a small-molecule integrin antagonist that binds to the integrin lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1), a cell surface protein found on leukocytes, and blocks the interaction of LFA-1 with its cognate ligand intercellular adhesion molecule‑1 (ICAM‑1). LFA‑1/ICAM‑1 interaction can contribute to the formation of an immunological synapse resulting in T‑cell activation and migration to target tissues. In vitro studies demonstrated that lifitegrast may inhibit T‑cell adhesion to ICAM‑1 in a human T-cell line and may inhibit secretion of inflammatory mediators (cytokines) in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. The exact mechanism of action of lifitegrast in dry eye disease is not known.

What is Xiidra

Xiidra is a prescription eye drop used to treat the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease.

Important Safety Information

The most common side effects of Xiidra include eye irritation, discomfort or blurred vision when the drops are applied to the eyes, and an unusual taste sensation (dysgeusia). To help avoid eye injury or contamination of the solution, do not touch the container tip to your eye or any surface. If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using Xiidra and wait for at least 15 minutes before placing them back in your eyes.

It is not known if Xiidra is safe and effective in children under 17 years of age.

For additional information, click the link below for full Prescribing Information including Patient Information and discuss with your doctor

www.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFS/XIIDRA_USA_ENG.pdf

I tead its probably going to be around the sane cost as Restasis where in the U.S. its very expensive. I hope Im wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Klee View Post
      I tead its probably going to be around the sane cost as Restasis where in the U.S. its very expensive. I hope Im wrong.

Yep, I'd agree. I bet it will be pretty expensive right out of the gate as us long-time dry eye sufferers clamor to try it. However, I think there is a good chance the introduction of this drug will exhibit some downward pressure on prices in the long run as Restasis and Xiidra compete for the same patients. That said, we probably need a few more competitors to enter the field (especially generic versions of the drug) before the is any significant relief on prices, but at least this is a start.

Or, maybe it works a lot better than Restasis and stays expensive, which isn't the worst thing that could happen. I pay for Restasis now and don't know if it helps or not so I'm interested to see if this is any different.

Comment

"The most common side effects of Xiidra are eye irritation, discomfort and blurred vision". Gee, and I was waiting for this to be approved- I already have all of those things, thanks anyway- Damnit!!

Comment

I know bunny sounds pretty ironic,side affects are the same as my vision problems. Wish they would come out with bionic eye balls..sign me up lol. I know all this isnt funny,but just trying to find some humor.

Comment

Originally posted by DryInDenver View Post

Yep, I'd agree. I bet it will be pretty expensive right out of the gate as us long-time dry eye sufferers clamor to try it. However, I think there is a good chance the introduction of this drug will exhibit some downward pressure on prices in the long run as Restasis and Xiidra compete for the same patients. That said, we probably need a few more competitors to enter the field (especially generic versions of the drug) before the is any significant relief on prices, but at least this is a start.

Or, maybe it works a lot better than Restasis and stays expensive, which isn't the worst thing that could happen. I pay for Restasis now and don't know if it helps or not so I'm interested to see if this is any different.
            Yes,maybe there will be some competition and one of them will lower their price. Its so out of reach and we make decent money. Maddening how the drug companies take advantage of people that would give anything to have a condition cured.

Comment

Does anyone know if Xiidra is primarily for aqueous deficient dry eye or meibomian gland dysfunction? I can't seem to find any info on whether it is for both or one or the other.

Comment

As far as I know, price is the same as restasis.

Comment

Not even close its $485.00 and it is is not covered by Medicare.I just had a prescription called into Walmart

Comment

I just had a prescription called in to Walmart and the cost is 485.00 and it is not covered by Medicare

Comment

Any updates on this? I'm curious for some reviews.

Comment

Lifitegrast may be coming to Europe soon hopefully: Shire seeks European approval for dry-eye disease drops 15 August 2017

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...disease-drops/
                        Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Working...
                        X