Oculeve Intranasal Tear Neurostimulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi MGD,

The manufacturer (Allergan) called me at the beginning of September and told me they were on back order through the end of September. A month later, I haven't received my device and Allergan hasn't said anything about when I'll get it.

I'm seeing my doctor again in a couple weeks, so I'll let you know if I find out anything.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Comment

Hi Pythonidler
      Thanks a lot as always.

Comment

Hi pythonidler

Could you ask your doctor if we still need to do compress, massage if we use this tool? Thanks!

Here is another interesting video by Dr John Sheppard, May 2017.

https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology...rs-for-dry-eye

Comment

Hi
          Just found this intersting article - sounds so promising!

Using neurostimulation to treat dry eye
          Answering OD questions about a new treatment modality for dry eye
          August 24, 2017 By Milton M. Hom, OD, FAAO, FACAAI (Sc)

http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine...y-eye?page=0,0

Comment

Still haven't gotten my device yet... but I met with my doctor and he says it's worked well for 80% who've tried it. Worth a shot, IMO.
            Dry Eye Survey
            IPL Doctors
            Probing Doctors

Comment

Thanks for the great news.
              I assume it only helps with comfort and reduce of drops so we still need to do compress, massage at home, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                Thanks for the great news.
                I assume it only helps with comfort and reduce of drops so we still need to do compress, massage at home, right?
                Yeah, I think you'll still need to use compresses.
                Dry Eye Survey
                IPL Doctors
                Probing Doctors

Comment

Just got mine yesterday. Before I started using it, I read up on the results of the clinical trial. You can find a summary of it on page 21 of the user guide, here:
                  https://allergan-web-cdn-prod.azuree...ar_patient.pdf

Clinic Trial Summary
                  • The trial was conducted with 97 patients initially, some of whom dropped out over the course of the 180 days due to adverse events or their own choosing.
                  • It involved patients with a wide range of Schirmer scores - including some who were very aqueous deficient (0 - 4 mm).
                  • Virtually all patients saw at least temporarily improved Schirmer scores when using the device - although it's unclear exactly how long after stimulation the scores were recorded. Also unclear is how quickly Schrimer scores decreased in the subsequent hours after stimulation.
                  • The increase in tear production due to stimulation decreased over the course of the 180 days (see graph on page 24 of the user manual), and leveled off by the end of it.
                  Initial Impressions and Observations
                  • It can be difficult to find the nerve at first. And even when you find it, you may question whether you're in the right spot. I think I used it several times in the wrong spot (but still felt the "tingling" sensation that you're supposed to feel), and didn't see much tear production increase. After I played around, I found the right spot and got more tears.
                  • Good luck not sneezing when you're stimulating the nerve in the right spot. I can only hold it for about 20 seconds before I sneeze and have to quickly remove the device.
                  • Because of all the sneezing, my nose seems like it had a slow drip of mucus coming out of it most of the time.
                  • I immediately noticed increased tear production, although after about an hour of stimulation my tear meniscus seemed to be back to my normal, low level. Perhaps it would be more powerful in conjunction with punctal plugs?
                  Other Notes
                  • You're supposed to use it between 2 and 10 times each day, for no more than 3 minutes at a time. The device automatically shuts off after 1 minute of usage, so if you want to use it for 3 minutes, you'll have to power it on three separate times.
                  • Also, since you're not supposed to use it for more than 30 minutes in a 24 hour period, the device will immediately power off it you attempt to use it for more than 30 minutes that day.
                  • Disposable tips only last 24 hours. You get a supply of 30 tips for $30, I think.
                  • The device must be recharged overnight, every night.

In summary, I think the jury is still out on this one. I'll post more later.
                  Dry Eye Survey
                  IPL Doctors
                  Probing Doctors

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing. Hope it will help you.

Comment

Update:

I went to an eye doctor today to test how long the increase in tear production lasts. My plan was as follows: get baseline Schirmer scores to measure my tear production just before using the device, then get new Schrimer scores approximately 1 hour after using the device.

My baseline Schirmer scores were 1.5 and 2.5 (down from 4 and 5 a few months ago - what happened there!?). An hour later after using the device, my scores were 6 and 9. I was actually pretty surprised by this fairly significant increase, and that production was still up about an hour after I used it. It would have been interesting to see my values at hour 2 and 3, but I didn't want to torture the office staff.

Next up, I'll be putting in some permanent punctal plugs - this could be a good combination with the True Tear device.
                      Dry Eye Survey
                      IPL Doctors
                      Probing Doctors

Comment

Thanks for sharing the great news.
                        Do such high scores also mean your eyes feel great? Sometimes tests and symptoms do not match so I wonder.

Comment

Hi
                          I would highly appreciate if users could share some udpates about their experience with TrueTear. Thank you

Comment

Here's an update that I shared with Laliv via PM:

Unfortunately for me, True Tear ended up not working,

Initially I noticed a significant increase in tear production. But as I kept using it over the course of several weeks, the increase in tear production got smaller and smaller. Eventually, I had virtually no increase in my tear production at all.

So I stopped using it for a couple months. Then one of my doctors encouraged me to start using it again. So I did - but within a week or so I was back to having no benefit from it.

But I wouldn't let my experience discourage anyone from trying it. When I first talked to my doctor about it, he told me the device had helped 8 out of 10 people (by the way, it wasn't clear whether he meant 80% of a large sample, or really just 10 people had tried it). So perhaps I was just one of the unlucky ones.
                            Dry Eye Survey
                            IPL Doctors
                            Probing Doctors

Comment

Found this interesting news/photos from

Laura M Periman, MD
                              ‏ @Dryeyemaster

'' My #patient is thrilled with relief in #DryEye #symptoms and also the improvements in #redness!
                              Note the large conjunctival vessels are less prominent and the background redness is #improved''

PS: I have read/heard several doctors mentioned that it increases the production of 'ALL' layers

Comment

this discussion, a totoal of 4 (top/well-known) doctors/professors, is so informative/interesting!
                                Sounds this item really promising!

11 Neurostimulation for Dry Eye

https://soundcloud.com/eyetube/lipif...e-disease/sets

11 Neurostim
                                PS: 10 Aesthetics in Ophthalmology ---Dr. Periman mentions about IPL

ulation fo
                                Last edited by MGD1701; 12-May-2018, 13:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X