Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could laser on my eyelids have caused MGD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could laser on my eyelids have caused MGD?

Hi all,

I have been recently diagnosed with blepharitis/MGD - in particular I'm suffering from evaporative dry eye as I'm not producing enough oil.

I have had mild rosacea for a number of years so I'm wondering whether I'm just finally sucuumbing to ocular rosacea. I do have a some new red veins in my eyes that I never used to have, and I've read (on this forum) that this is a sign of ocular rosacea.

However, there are some other possible causes that I'd really like to rule out first:

My problems started a few months after I had some laser treatment on my eyelids to get rid of the very prominent veins there (I suffer from mild rosacea on my face) and I wonder whether this laser treatment might have caused my blepharitis - does anyone have any thoughts about this? I hate the thought that I could have brought this horrible condition on myself.

Someone posted here that having laser on your eyelids is a bad idea because any inflammation (my eyelids were quite swollen for a few days) can bring on blepharitis, and I wonder if there is any truth in this....
    On the other hand it could be quite a good idea to get rid of eyelid veins from the point of view of stopping vascularisation of the area, and perhaps halting onset of ocular rosacea (people have IPL treatments for ocular rosacea). Mine unfortunately have mostly come back, so it wasn't even a very successful treatment....

The only other thing to add to the mix is that it all started at exactly the same time I started to take metformin for my PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Not that I've noticed it happening (in terms of my skin and hair) but metformin is supposed to reduce androgen production.....and I have read also that hormone changes can bring on blepharitis.....so could this be my cause?

I would be so grateful for anyone's thoughts or ideas....
Working...
X