Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to cope, need suggestions

Hello everyone,

In March 2009 I had LASIK monovision. (age 41) Dominant eye did heal to plano, but close-up eye got more astigmatism and I had NO close-up vision. Dry Eye immediately set in. February 2010 I had a touch up in the close-up eye, did not help AT ALL! Surgeon says it didn't appear that I had any dry eye. Wish he could experience what we're all going through! I am going to end all contact with the surgeon and his optometrists and see a new opthamologist.

I have tried so many things couldn't begin to list them. Currently hoping for cauterization with the new Dr. Could not tolerate Restasis.

Lost my job for missing too many days due to dry eye. Would like to find a new job but terrified. Gain a lot of weight on the anti-depressants, now on St. John's Wart. Thought about suicide daily for about 6 months. That has finally passed!

Questions: 1. Thinking about trying RGP's to eliminate the trifocals, sounds like everyone here says dry eye has to be in control first. Anyone ever had numbing drops sent home with them to get used to the hard lenses?

2. Does the low light vision ever improve?

3. Has anyone went through a 3rd surgery? My thought is the dry eye cannot get any worse. I am not convinced it is the right thing to do, but having trifocals has really thown me for a loop. It reminds me daily of the stupid decision I made to have LASIK.

Thank you for allowing me to read all your stories. Everyone thinks I'm crazy around here, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone, except the LASIK surgeon, dealing with some anger yet

Bonneville, if a dr sends you home with a bottle of numbing drops, run a million miles from him. I went to an ER once in a small hospital when I had a bad corneal erosion caused by high winds. I wasn't sure what happened, but it was some time after my Lasik. That ER doc gave me the bottle of numbing drops and sent me off with it. When I got home (we were traveling) and I got to my eye M.D. the next day, he took that bottle from me and threw it in the garbage. He said the doc should not have done that and I could have caused a lot of trouble by using those drops.

It's too bad the second surgery didn't help, but hindsight is great. They call it a "touchup" but it in fact, has the same chance of problems as a first surgery.

Low light vision is different for everyone. It's hard to give you an answer, ie yes or no. It depends and time will tell.

Did your dr threaten you with tri-focals? It sounds like that's what he did. Do not assume you'll have to have them. Don't run and get RGP's because you'd still probably need glasses.

Your dry eye will probably not get worse IF YOU DON'T HAVE MORE SURGERY. If you get additional surgery, your dryness and vision could suffer.

If the threat is for tri-focal glasses, you need to see someone who can give you other choices. Have you heard of progressive bifocals? They are glasses with a graduated reading level with no lines. Others cannot see they are bifocals or trifocals. I've worn them for a long time before surgery and still need to after Lasik. You need to work at getting your eyes to feel better and then make some calm decisions. Do not let him tell you RGP's or more surgery are the only way to prevent tri-focals. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Lucy for the help. I need to wrap my head around the fact that I can't believe anything the surgeon told me! He lied to me from DAY 1, why should I trust anything he says! Beginning with the Schirmer test, which was totally dry, but he pushed me to continue, had to get that check in his hand. I was a bad candidate and he knew it, that's why I'm still so angry.

I will try the progressives. So instead of "reducing my dependency on glasses", I became totally dependent on them to do EVERYTHING! Didn't read that in the fine print.

So nice that someone finally understands!

Comment

Yes, we do understand. The progressive bifocals are not visible to anyone and there is no line or lines going across the glass like older type bifocals.

They are easy to wear for computer, read the paper etc without switching with glasses on and glasses off. That would be worse for me.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I understand how you feel

If you need to talk to someone please call. My name is Veronica and I live in California. But I know how you feel. I been having he same feelings. The only thing that is stopping me from doing something stupid is my boys and my mom

Please call me 818-481-0852-Cell anytime please

Comment

Working...
          X