Vision complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision complications

Has anyone had vision difficulties/changes due to dry eye? Frequent changes in prescription for glasses/contact lenses? Halo or glowing that never goes away?

I'm having some major difficulties getting the right corrective lens for my right eye, and at this point we're not sure if it's because the dryness has gotten so much worse, or due to a recent injury. My eye doctor is very supportive, working hard to resolve this issue, very thorough. Just wondering about others' experience with dry eye and compromised vision.

Denise

blurry vision right eye worse

You're problems sound a lot like mine. My right eye also causes me a lot of problems. This explains how I handled the problem. My right eye solution is at the bottom of this post. It's taken me a couple of years to find the solution. I spend a lot of time writing on the computer, which makes all of this worse.

I’m 60 years old, so of course I have presbyopia. If that weren’t enough I’m diabetic so my vision can vary a bit from day to day, and since I spend long hours working on a computer I’ve developed dry eye. I'm between stage 2 and stage 3 depending on the day and time of year. So basically, I can't bend the lenses in my eye with a crowbar. I have no ability to change focal length with my eye muscles the way people generally do.

Early in the morning I can read, work on the computer and see distances fairly well. I’m a plus prescription so my reading is the issue. The more I write or look at my computer screen, the worse my vision gets. As I work throughout the day, my vision becomes declines.. By early evening I can’t see much that isn’t blurry or distorted. Sometimes by dinner time, I can no longer read at all, or if I do read I have to live with the blurry words. I’m normally a very fast reader, but I can’t read fast when I can’t see well.

My right eye seems to be worse than my left. A lot of times my left eye is still in focus while my right eye has gone out of focus. Because of the binocular effect, when both eyes are open the print is somewhat blurry. This is very annoying.

In September I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about a pair of glasses that had won the Journal’s Silver award for innovation. Essentially, Trufocals have a lens in them that bends just like the natural lens in a human eye. In front of the inner lens is another lens that has an individual’s prescription in it. That means that in addition to your specific prescription, the focal length is adjustable up to an add of 2.75. It's the same as having a variable lens like they use in your eye doc's office to fit you with glasses.

I got my first pair the first week of November, and so far they’ve made a huge difference in the number of hours that I’m able to work in a day, and at night I can adjust them so I can read. I’ve had to fight blurry vision for years at night.

If you want to read about them, go to the Superfocus website or google Wall Street Journal and Trufocals. Popular Science gave them an innovation award also. I was skeptical as to whether they would help my problems in particular. I knew the glasses could replace progressives and bifocals, especially for people that have multiple pairs of glasses, but my problems are more complicated than that. The Superfocus people have a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee so if I didn’t like them or they didn’t work I could send them back. For me that was the deciding factor, and after a few weeks of using them I’m definitely not sending them back.

At the end of November I ordered a second pair because if anything happens to these I’m back in the same vision nightmare I’ve been in for several years. That’s not going to happen, so I’ll keep a spare pair handy.

The glasses range in price from $700 to $900. They make them to your prescription so it takes a few weeks to get them. If you give them this code when you order by phone or online SO-001153 they’ll give you a 10% discount. The superfocus website gives you all the information you need to place an order. I posted a blog entry on their site that explains more about my problems.

The prescription lenses on the front pop off so you can order multiple pairs of lens for $80 a pair. Because the lens are round, you can switch the left and right eye. (My correction is a plus correction for farsightedness. Nearsightedness corrections are minus corrections.) So I ordered an extra set of lens with same right eye astigmatism correction in each lens but one lens was +0.25 add in the sphere correction and the other one was +0.50 add in sphere correction. That way when my right eye gets worse, I can change the right lens on the Trufocal glasses which brings the left and right eye back into balance and then I can refocus both eyes so the text is sharp on the computer or when I'm reading. I also have a set of lens that increases the sphere in the right and left eye so on the really bad days it gives me more focal distance correction using the Trufocal slide.

There are a lot of user reviews out there and some video that demonstrates the glasses. google trufocals reviews and you'll see plenty of independent discussion.

They’ve worked very well for me. It's has given me a way to compensate for my right eye which seems to become blurry quicker than my left eye. I have a second pair of progressives which cost $600 and have a higher add but they only work some of the time. The trufocals work all of the time.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dlrstudio View Post
      Has anyone had vision difficulties/changes due to dry eye? Frequent changes in prescription for glasses/contact lenses? Halo or glowing that never goes away?

I'm having some major difficulties getting the right corrective lens for my right eye, and at this point we're not sure if it's because the dryness has gotten so much worse, or due to a recent injury. My eye doctor is very supportive, working hard to resolve this issue, very thorough. Just wondering about others' experience with dry eye and compromised vision.

Denise
      Denise-I absolutely have vision changes due to dry eye. Recently my dry eye has been flaring up and one of the first things I notice is blurry street signs. When my eyes are feeling good (hope I get there again), my vision is crystal clear.
      Good luck to you.

Comment

Denis and Eyes 78,

I have almost the same problem. There were several days that my eyes were pretty moist. And I immediately notice a total difference---almost crystal clear vision. But most of the days, the world around seems blurry...and I've noticed that my vision would change throughout the day: sometimes it was pretty good in the morning, then it became worse during the day.

Comment

Blurry vision from DES and EBMD

I also have variable focus. The drier my eyes get at any point in the day, the less I am able to focus clearly. My left eye is the worst, because it was also damaged by neurosurgery to the trigeminal nerve. I also have EBMD, epithelial basement membrane dystrophy, a corneal dystrophy which makes me prone to RCEs, recurrent corneal erosions. At times, these have been so severe that I could not see the large "E" on the eyechart, I was only able to very painfully see a white haze, nothing else. Along with the corneal erosions comes increased corneal pressure, which also distorts vision. So there can be a variety of conditions affecting our ability to clearly focus. Corneal abrasions also affect focus.

I now must wear 7 eye airshield glasses (look like ski goggles when the lenses are clear) whenever I am awake to preserve the little moisture I have in my eyes. I also have MGD, meibomian gland dysfunction, which also negatively affects the tear film. Then the nerve damage to the lacrimal glands causes almost non-existent tear secretion. So again, there are many conditions which may lead to dry eye syndrome.

Maria

Comment

Working...
          X