dry eye from surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry eye from surgery

March 23, 2010, I had an acoustic neuroma removed in a 7 hour surgery. In this surgery, my eustacion tube was blocked off on my left side and my left side ear canal was also permanantly blocked off. Now, my left eye still doesn't blink unless I make it, and when my left eye does want to blink, my right eye over compensate with rapid blinking, and soon my eyes get very tires, almost hyponotic. My eye lid sticks to my eyeball mostly at night. Now the doctor tells me it could take a couple of years or I may never get over it. But nas never explained in lamens terms why blocking everything off was necessary. This surgery has also effected my balance. I'm hoping for suggestions on how to cope or get over this problem. Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 13-Oct-2010, 11:34. Reason: Removed URL (please see posting guidelines)

Richard,

Are there any sort of therapy-type moves that they can teach to you? Something you could do on your own to help you to overcome this so it can be a thing of the past? If there is any chance for a full or semi-full recovery I would be leaning on that hope pretty heavily.

There are ways to cope with this, don't worry yourself too much over it. I would start by using a heavier, more sustainable drop at night and possibly taping that eyelid shut when you retire so it "has" to remain closed.

Rose

Comment

dry eye

The doctor just keeps telling me that it will pass and it just takes time. Maybe I'm just too impatient. But when I'm up and around, working, I don't have very much problem. Thanks, Richard

Comment

Try using the Tranquileye goggles (from dry eye shop) at night so your eyes will stay shut and also moist. I agree to use a heavier eye gel at night, saturate your eyes with a heavy gel before using the goggles. I found them difficult to sleep with but you may-be able to handle them better than me.

Over time, nerves can improve but for now, it's imperative you keep your eyes bathed and moist to prevent corneal damage. You need to be patient. Many of us have suffered symptoms for years and continue on.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
        X