where to find glasses/ goggles to fit over rx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to find glasses/ goggles to fit over rx

where can i find goggles that fit over my regular prescription sunglasses? does anyone know of where?? there are so many options and i am so confused. i would like something to wear indoors and outdoors on windy days.. at this point it looks like my rx is too high for 7 eye and others.. i do not want to pay $400 for something that looks hideous.. i may as well just get the basic ones to fit over my regular glasses as the $$$ ones you can tell they are really thick.. I would look like i am ready to pilot a jet!! ha ha..

thanks to whoever can help...:P
    Jenny

RE: goggles that fit over glasses

The Dry Eye Shop has some. There's a drop down menu that says "products that fit over glasses".

Comment

wonderful guard dogs. yeah i already have a pair ..even the small ones are way too big and uncomfortable on my face.. i rather just go to sleep on a bad day then try to wear these.. they bring on a migraine for me. o well...
      Jenny

Comment

I do pretty well with the polarized sunglass fit-overs from Walgreen's, Solar Shield brand, about $18. They come in smaller sizes and don't look too strange. Not foam lined, but better than nothing. Not good for indoors because of the tint, though.

I wonder if a creative optician could pop a lens out of these and just cut a clear lens for them using the original as a template. Couldn't be that hard.

Calli

Comment

For a real moisture chamber there's nothing that goes over glasses that doesn't look awful. I like the ones Calli mentions though.

You can always resort to the old weatherstripping method with regular glasses. If you're careful and it's a suitable pair of glasses it can at least be a lot more discreet than guard dogs
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Hi,

I have a couple of ideas for your high prescription and wanting foam lined sunglasses:

1)Did you call wiley-x? They can digitally put on a higher prescription than
            7eye. I think I am 4.5 and they could do it for me.

2) if that doesn't work, go to this website:
            http://www.heavyglare.com/prescription-sunglasses.html

I have spoken with the optician there and they can put in higher prescription lenses than others for wrap around sunglasses but it is pricey. They have special thin lenses and a fancy lab or something. Try and find out your PD measurement before you contact them and of course all your prescription information to see what they can do.

I decided on going with the wiley-x because it was less expensive.

Hope this helps!

Comment

hey there .. i called Heavy glare. yes they use digitial surfacing but the website says the following

Digital prescription lenses have an adaptatation period of up to a week. You must consistently wear the product for your eyes to adapt. If after that period has passed,and you are still having trouble, you will need to see your eye doctor.

I doubt i would wear them all the time and therefore would prob not be a good candidate for these... i may check into Wiley x. but i have a feeling it is the same type of deal.

I may just stop at walgreens or cvs and try the solar shield for on top of my glasses... if they are unattractive over glasses that is ok with me if they are under $30.00.. ! I just dont want to spend $400 for something that is not only ugly but cumbersome on my face...

ahhh.i should just wait and see what my doc is trying to order for me.. he is a great doc at the U of Louisville.. i need to listen to my doc...
              Jenny

Comment

now i called wiley x and they tell me that they also use the DIGITAL SURFACING and that there ISNT an adjustment period.. i am very confused.. Tearless..i Private messaged you regarding your Wiley X glasses..thanks so much
                Jenny

Comment

I have a low opinion of glasses that have to be worn a week for the "adjustment period." Yes, the brain and eyes will probably adjust, but that doesn't necessarily mean the prescription or design of the lens is good for you!

For example, remember those experiments we all read about in textbooks, where the research subjects wear glasses that turn everything upside down? The brain can actually adjust to that!

Worse is a prescription that's off, has unintended prism or cylinder ground into it, and forces your eye muscles to strain just to focus and see straight.

Just my 2 cents. I get irritated by that because I used to hear that from the time I was in 3rd grade and getting new prescriptions every year. "Just wear it for 2 weeks and it'll get better," they always said. And you're standing there in the optometrist's office with tears of strain running down your checks, and you can barely make it out of the door because the floor is "coming up at you."

Calli

Comment

Calli.. i so agree with you.. totally... ha ha.. you basically share my opinion.. you just worded it so perfectly.. yeah.. it would be different if it didn't cost $400 or more... hey by the way. i went and got some good ol Solar Shileds from Walgreens... very cheap and i think they may do the trick in high windy conditions.. and when i am having a major sjogrens flare i dont leave my house anyway. cause the rest of my body is dry too and i feel like i have got the flu... i think i will try my sassy solar shields when i am out and about windy conditions... i will keep everyone posted. thanks!!!!
                    Jenny

Comment

..on the other hand

Just wanted to add (on a positive note) that my own glasses, -8.25 with progressive add +2.00 are manufactured with the digital surfacing process, and the vision is indeed superior to the old method of grinding prescriptions into lenses. (I've had the older technology, and this is better).

So maybe I'm off. Lens manufacturing and design is now very high tech so maybe the claims are true. Still, it is expensive. For my own lenses mentioned above, the high cost is built in so that the optician can re-do the prescription at least once, and not lose money.

C

Comment

re: adjustment period for digital prescription sunglasses

Hey, I thought I would post this since Jenny2008 mentioned an adjustment period for a higher (-4.5) digital prescription for the wiley-x. I thought I would copy my PM here so that if anyone had questions about this adjustment period they could view my experience.

I have airrage sunglasses with a digital -4.5 prescription that I only wear outside if it's sunny/windy, (or just sunny enough to not look weird). I didn't know there was an adjustment period. I just switch between my indoor and outdoor glasses. I haven't noticed any vision difficulties.

The only thing it took me time to get used to was the brownish lens tint that I ordered. Yuck! My local optician tried to retint it to gray as best he could but it is still a little brown and I don't like that. I think that is just personal opinion though.

I really like them!

Comment

Working...
                        X