And here's my story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And here's my story...

I'm 20 years old and I'm a junior Molecular Biology major pre-med student. My dry eye problem started at the end of june, after an eye infection that I did not get treated (passed on its own). Every morning after the infection, my eyes would be extremely dry and on FIRE. So I would just wash them out with water and let it go. This continued on and became so bad that I went to my first optometrist, at walmart... Anyways, he said he didn't see anything wrong and just told me to get lubrication drops, which I already had gotten when this started.

Problem continued on and I went to another optometrist, he said I had blepharitis and he put me on tobradex for 2 weeks and told me to do warm compresses and eye lid scrubs. I started the tobradex and used it 4 times a day for a week when my symptoms got worse, so he told me to stop suspecting I had a reaction to it. I went back and saw a different doctor (original doctor was out) at the same place, idiot told me my problem is I didn't know how to blink. I was trying not to blink while he was looking at my eye. So I just left and gave up on the place.

I went to a DIFFERENT doctor, she put me on lotemax for weeks. Didn't help at all. My eyes were still extremely dry and she couldn't explain why. So I go see a different doctor, he has no idea what's going on and he refers me to a different doctor. He made me stop all lubrication drops (I was using non-pres only by then) and put me on an anti-biotic drop called besivance, and small dose of doxycycline for 2 weeks. Didn't help, I go back and he says I have a dendrite in one eye so he put me on an anti-viral ointment called zirgan (just released a couple of months ago). Didn't help, I go back and he says this time he sees it in both eyes... Yes, bilateral dendrites, something almost NEVER seen. So I go to a different doctor and he says he doesn't see them, and he thinks it's blepharitis. So he puts me on azasite. I do that, my eyes didn't get better at all.

Sooo, I go to a DIFFERENT doctor, he wanted me to start on restasis and xibrom. He did a shirmer's test, I got a 6. He didn't know what else to do. He told me to start taking Theratears nutrition, which I am still taking today. So I go to a different doctor, tells me I have dry eye syndrome (yes, at 20 years old). So I leave the office furious because he would not listen to what I had to say. I go to a different doctor, and I'm still following her plan. Basically she said that somehow the infection affected my meibomian glands, and they are very clogged. So my tears are evaporating at a rapid rate. The tears evaporated almost immediately after I blink, the few that are there. So she put me on doxycycline (100 mg twice a day) and told me to rub azasite on my eye lids every night after I do my warm compresses/lid scrubs.

So here I am, perplexed at how this happened. I educated myself on this extremely in the past few months but I wanted to get your opinion. I am soooo frustrated that this is happening because I also deal with chronic back pain and this addition is just making everything worse.

So if anyone could PLEASE help me out, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm not taking any other medicines so side effects are not an issue. I am on refresh non-preservative tears, which I found to be better than anything else; yet still very inefficient.

If you guys have any questions please ask. Sorry about the long post. Oh and BTW I do have lagophthalmos but I got the tranquileyes and have been using them for a week now (Didn't help much).

Sorry to hear your issues at 20 yrs old. I had at least 43 years before kaput. First of all you seem in the anger stage. You must accept what you have and treat it in stages. Second, Omega 3, doxycline and restasis take a long time to work. A loooong time. Months and months. I'm going to give you an excellent article on treating dry eye . It sums up all thats available now.

triplew dot eyeupdate dot com/pages/dryeye dot html

I'm posting it encripted because this website might not allow what it perceives as spam.

You are young. Even if the approaches we have now don't work, they will find something for you eventually. Be optimistic

Comment

Working...
    X