Here I am...with dry eyes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I am...with dry eyes...

I can't believe that I am writing this. I have been reading through this forum for quite a while (especially the triumph section in search for a cure). I am a 21 year old male and often ask myself "Why in the world do I have this problem at this point in my life". I've always been a healthy guy but dry eyes got me. I wear contacts and glasses. In High School I took accutane which cleared up my face with great success and the funny thing is, the dryness didn't develop (or not noticeable) until months after stopping accutane. I believe my dry eyes developed because of accutane, computer usage, and contact wearing.

I have been on Restasis( don't know if it is helping), Fish oil for omega 3s, and I now have all four punctal plugs in. I still can't find relief. I have burning sensations and when I wake up, its the worst. Only thing that reminds me of having healthy eyes are when I'm taking a hot shower in the morning. I think the worst thing about dry eyes is the redness to be honest. It has become hard to directly look someone in the eye at times knowing that all they will see is the red eyes staring back at them.

Anyway, that's somewhat my story...and I guess I'm just hoping to find something to get rid of this condition. People think that having dry eyes is not really a troubling health problem, but it is...and only other people who have the condition understand.

I will be trying Doxycycline once I can set up an appointment with a new Dr. (insurance change)....Here's to hoping. If anyone has any other ideas of what to try, let me know because doxy is like my last idea. I believe I have MGD and the problem lies with my glands not producing enough oils rather than lack of tear production.

RE: dry eyes in the morning

I have dry eyes that are worse in the morning (when opening my eyes after sleeping).

The things that have helped me the most are (1) using Muro 128 ointment (not drops... must ask the pharmacist for this because they're behind the counter) and (2) covering my eyes with pieces of Glad Press N Seal before going to bed.

Those two things help me wake with the least amount of pain.

Good luck.

Comment

Davis, I'd agree that at your age it would be unusual to be affected by DES as badly as you have been.

Not feeling like looking people in the eye is the worst feeling. I know - definitely been there!

Other than dry eyes are you in good health?

Best
      Jamie

Comment

Yeah, outside of my dry eyes I'm in really "good health".

What makes this so FRUSTRATING is that every problem I have had whether it be health or not, I could work towards getting over and through the problem. With dry eyes, nothing is working and there's nothing I can do about it. I receive plugs, drops, and that's it....leaving me with only hope that doxycycline will clear it up when I start it.

Comment

Davis - I am dealing with dry eye only since the end of October! (eye surgery) But my eyes have been driving me CRAZY - because all my life (59 years) I am a person who sees a problem, and tries my BEST to solve it! I have worked in quality assurance and quality control So far, 3 different doctors with different thoughts and ideas!

The greatness of this site - ALL the people who truly understand!
          I rejoiced when I located The Dry Eye Zone!

Comment

dry eyes also!!

I am 57 and my dry eyes are driving me crazy. I had lasik enhancement in left eye, epilitheal cell complications 1 week after, then at 5 1/2 months dry eye hit my left eye -- at least that is what they called it -- 8 months of gel/drops and punctual plug in left eye to get it to where it was better -- however, my right eye then became dry. It is now 16 months after left eye enhancement -- I have punctual plugs in both eyes, using drops every 2 hours and doctor says I will most likely have chronic dry eye the rest of my life. He says it should be a little better in the warmer weather. He says "I know it is a little bit of an irritation to keep using the drops". Yes, the dry eye is tough on me. I tell my doctor it bothers me emotionally and I am still not real understanding of the meaning of when it becomes "active". I do know the dry eye has changed my life and I can only hope it becomes more adaptable rather than debilitating. I wish you the best and hope it improves with time.

Comment

Working...
            X