Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the site--my eyes story

Hi everyone,

I've been roaming around the site for a while but just decided to register and post up my own story.

I had LASEK in Feb 2010, my eyes have felt uncomfortable ever-since. I suspect it was dry eye but my doctor told me he found my eyes without dryness symptoms at all. I just saw him yesterday and it was the same result.

Though, his assistant told me that it could be dry eyes due to the situation I described to them and my doctor has actually treated me with plug, artificial tears, Alrex, Restasis for quite a while.

I think my life has been greatly effected after the surgery, though I can see most of the things, my vision fluctuates throughout the day, and from day to day.
    I used to be a very confident person but now due to this problem, I feel that I've changed..
    My journalism profession is very intense and requires me to talk to different people all the time.----I used to enjoy it so much, as I never had a problem with talking to people. But after the surgery, I found myself have to constantly close my eyes when I talk to people, and that I can't focus well anymore as I often feel that my eyes are irritated and bothering me. I have to say that this problem has made me pretty depressed----I feel that it almost has changed my personality, and who I really am.

I haven't told this problem to others except for my Mom and my close church friends.---I have to say that it is hard for me to cope with, as I have to pretend myself to be well off, but in fact I'm not. And it is also very hard to explain to other people what I am going through and what I am struggling with---most people don't think it as a problem becuz they see me well, and they can't see anything abnormal from my eyes. Except that I used to have crystal clear beautiful eyes, with clear black pupils and the white of my eyes is clear light blue, but now, my eyes are often red and I can't use eye make-up anymore either.

Above is basically what I think that has affected my life. Now I'll provide some more info about how I got it and the treatment I'm using.

I began to wear contact lens since around 2000 without a problem. In 2007, it suddenly happened that I could not tolerate contact lens anymore (before this, it happened several times that my eyes were irritated, but they went back normal after several days).

I had Epi-LASEK surgery in Feb, 2010. Before the surgery, my vision was (both eyes) --4.5 Before getting the surgery, I was told in the pre-examination that my cornea is too thin to get lasik, but perfect for LASEK. Also, I was told that I didn't have any dry eye symptoms so there's no need to worry about this.

It took me quite a while to recover---probably several months, but I've never had crystal clear vision. My vision after the surgery was (both eyes): --0.25; --0.5;
    The latest result (April 7, 2011) is that my left eye is --0.5 (20/40), and my right eye is --1.0 (20/50) <as told by my doctor>

I began to use Alrex and Restasis in December, 2010. My eyes couldn't tolerate Restasis so I stopped it after several days, but has used Alrex since then.

In Jan, 2011, I had the "after three month will resolve" type of plugs inserted in both of my lower lids. ( they resolved when April 7 2011 I went to check)
    In Feb, 2011, I tried Restasis a second time and this time it seems it works so I have used it ever since.
    In late March, 2011, I stopped Alrex as was told by my doctor.
    I also use Systane preservative free artificial tears everyday (several times) and take fish oils + Vitamin B.

During this past year, there was once I decided to stop using everything---and surprisingly, my eyes felt great when I stopped everything(clearer vision and didn't really feel dry).--But, this didn't last long, only a week or so later, I began to feel dryness again and my vision went back fuzzy/blurry. So, I had to start my artificial tears again.
    About maybe 20 days after I tried Restasis a second time (around late March), there were 4-5 days that my vision was much clearer and didn't really feel dry either (but still felt irritation especially towards the end of the day). Unfortunately, this didn't last and my eyes went back dry/fuzzy blurry vision again.

In addition to these treatments, I also have been praying for it sincerely. My mom and my close church friends have been praying for my eyes as well. Last week, I went to the elders healing prayer in my church and two elders have prayed for me as well.

At this stage, I think I can see that probably my eyes are getting better, as there are better days. But still, my vision fluctuates. e.g., yesterday when I went to the doctor, my vision was pretty bad.

My doctor told me that I could have a touch-up surgery to correct the prescription that is still left in my eyes. He will check my eyes again this June to see if my dryness condition improves and my vision stabilizes and go from there. But I kinda feel uncertain as I'm concerned that if the dryness IS a problem, a touch-up surgery will make the situation worse. But, if I don't have the touch-up surgery to correct my vision, my current poor vision makes me very frustrated...
    Also, though I believe that my eyes will be cured, sometimes I run out of energy fighting it...

Uhm..hope this info will be helpful and good luck with everyone here!!! :-)

I didn't have lasik surgery, but I did have a chemical exposure to my eyes that possibly caused all of my problems. my eyes hurt all the time and are more sensitive to everything. I have been treated for MGD and bleph which helped my secretions but didn't help my pain much because I found out later that after my eyes were hurt by chemicals it damaged the nerves and caused them to become ultra sensitive. just like more commonly happens with people who get an injury, it heals but never stops hurting.

Comment

Hi! Welcome to our little group here! (but sorry you're in a position of needing to join)

Anyhow, here's a link to the DEWS report

http://www.tearfilm.org/dewsreport/p...DEWS-noAds.pdf

It basically sums up everything about dry eye... causes, treatments etc. If your eyes can't handle reading the whole thing, then I'd recommend just focusing on the chapter dealing with management of dry eye... you might find some strategies that could help you that you can discuss with your doc...

Comment

socratese,

I'm so sorry to hear your story.....I cannot even imagine the all time pain....

is ur condition getting better now???
        I really hope that your eyes will be healed. I'll pray for you.

Comment

SAAG,

Tks for the report!!
          I've checked your group, but I'm not a mom yet... :-p though I hope that one day when I am, I won't need to join the dry eye group anymore..... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by kikilovekiki View Post
            SAAG,

Tks for the report!!
            I've checked your group, but I'm not a mom yet... :-p though I hope that one day when I am, I won't need to join the dry eye group anymore..... :-)
            Oh, I didn't mean the moms group... just the dry eye talk group in general! And I hope you won't need us anymore some day too!!!

Comment

Thanks SAAG for this report. I've spent an hour reading and will go back to it.
              If you're familiar with this information, perhaps you know where the top-notch clinicians are to treat Sjogren's Syndrome. I'd sure like to be evaluated by someone who knows what their doing!
              Thanks,
              jp

Comment

Not sure about where to find the best Sjogren's docs... but there are several members here who have Sjogren's, so maybe one of them will know... maybe post this question in a brand new thread (in the Open Forum) with your question in the title so it will be more easily found by those who are "in the know"

Comment

Working...
                X