Eye dryness after fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye dryness after fall

I fell down about six months ago and hit my eye and head on a couch. Ever since then, I have experienced dryness in that eye. I have had it looked at, and there is nothing on the surface that explains the dryness. I was wondering if I did any damage to the lacrimal gland when I fell down. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

were your eyelids damaged in the fall? maybe your eye doesn't shut completely after damage to your eyelid?

When do you get the symptoms? Morning, evening, night?

I believe the lacrimal glands are hiding behind a bone and a duct connects them to the ocular surface.

Also, there are some accessory lacrimal glands in the eyelids themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by d_mackey1 View Post
      I fell down about six months ago and hit my eye and head on a couch. Ever since then, I have experienced dryness in that eye. I have had it looked at, and there is nothing on the surface that explains the dryness. I was wondering if I did any damage to the lacrimal gland when I fell down. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.
      When you say you've "experienced dryness" in that eye, can you please elaborate? What kinds of symptoms specifically? There is a wide variety of things that people experience from dryness.

The classic corneal injury pattern is a corneal abrasion which heals but later results in recurrent corneal erosions (RCE). (All these terms in the dry eye eye encyclopedia on dryeyezone.com.) In cases of RCE, there is often no sign of corneal anything during an exam because the erosions happen at night and heal before you get into the doctor's office. Just an example of something that can happen. If you can share more about the symptoms maybe we can help more with identifying questions to ask.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by NeedMyEyes View Post
        were your eyelids damaged in the fall? maybe your eye doesn't shut completely after damage to your eyelid?

When do you get the symptoms? Morning, evening, night?

I believe the lacrimal glands are hiding behind a bone and a duct connects them to the ocular surface.

Also, there are some accessory lacrimal glands in the eyelids themselves.
        Thank you for your reply. I will try to find more about these topics on the internet. Do you know any credible websites or books I could use? The symptoms are constant, and they get worse as the day progresses.

Comment

The symptoms include burning and a foreign body sensation. It gets worse as the day goes on. I suspected an RCE as well, but wouldn't the pain be worse in the morning if that were the case?

Comment

Working...
          X