Fluoroquinolones and Dry Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluoroquinolones and Dry Eye

I have been suffering from dry eye since a week ago Thursday past. At first I thought that it was just going to be a 24 hour thing so I used eye drops every two hours or so on Friday which helped and it went away but then came back on Saturday and was still there on Sunday so Monday I made an appointment with the eye doctor. I saw her on on Thursday past and she said that the quality of my tears was not great so I had to put perservative free drops in my eyes and use compresses on them for the next two weeks. I have to say that they are getting better but they are still dry.

I blame the dry eye on a prescription that I had been given from Norfloxin on June 28th of this year for a UTI. I was on 500 mg 2x a day for five days. I was ok with the drug until there were three pills left and I started to have anxiety. From what I have read on the internet dry eye can be one of the long term side effects for fluoroquinolone antibiotics (even the eye drops) that can come up even after you have finished the drug.
Working...
X