Dry eyes due to a very dry and hot summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes due to a very dry and hot summer

I guess that's what caused them. Woke up in early July with blurred vision...didn't think much of it. Two weeks later the problem was still there. Called the VA to schedule a optometry appointment, but that didn't get made until late October.

Then some new symptoms appeared. Extreme light sensitivity followed by seeing halos and rainbows around bright lights.

Took my wife's advice and went to the Walmart and got my eyes checked as I feared Glaucoma.(even though I'm under 40 and I knew it wasn't likely) The exam was very short, and the Optometrist said my eyes look "very healthy". They sold me some glasses I didn't really need and sent me on my merry way.

I was not satisfied with Walmart's assembly line type exam(felt like I was in the service again)...so I asked around and found a good Optometrist who does thorough exams. And this new optometrist did a very detailed exam that lasted well over a hour. The pupils were dilated and I felt like he explored every possible avenue. His response was that my eyes look "very healthy"(just like the last guy said) and he thinks my symptoms are a result of insufficient tear production(which according to him is becoming more and more common) He gave me a Rx for some steroid/antibiotics drops as a precautionary measure. The drops felt great at first and then really irritated my eyes after a few days. And they didn't help me at all.

So here I am trying to enjoy life even though my vision stinks. The doc suggested changing from a anti-perspirant to regular deodarant. He said many of his patient's dry eyes symptoms improve after a month or so of dropping the anti-perspirant. I also called my primary and requested, and was granted, a change in bp medicine. I'm worried that the diuretic could also be drying me up. So I'm back on atenolol for now. This summer was brutal in south Texas...the worst I have ever experienced. And I have to think the climate had something to do with my current condition.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to any suggestions. I have read plenty of posts here and I'm trying to understand all of this.
Working...
X