Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red eyes, Visine, episcleritis, red and super dry eyes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red eyes, Visine, episcleritis, red and super dry eyes.

Hello all,

I've just joined this place and it's nice to e-meet you!

I'm currently suffering from very red and dry eyes, sometimes itchy, often irritated and tired-feeling. I'm often finding a lot of mucous coming out as well. I'm using artificial tears to help with the dryness, which is something I feel the most first thing in the morning. I notice that once I drown my eyes in tears, the redness dies down quite a bit (though it's still there), but half an hour or so later and my eyes begin to slowly become redder again. So, lots of artificial tears throughout the day.

I'm 20 years old, and I've found out from my mum recently that ever since I was five or so, my eyes would be red in the morning. She'd apply moisturising eye drops to deal with that, but perhaps I had dry eyes at that point too? Somewhere down the line, apparently aged 12 - I moved on to the Visine drops (Vital Eyes Brightening Drops - I guess a UK equivalent of the Clear Eyes drops I've been reading about). I can't remember how often I applied them from 12-17 (I don't think I was as dependent on them then, certainly not when I was 12-15), but I definitely know that over the past two or three years, I became addicted to them and most likely used them every day. I had no idea of its effects on the eye back then - I only realised a few months ago. I certainly wish I could have them banned from all chemists.

In mid-April this year, I contracted episcleritis. I have no idea what caused it, and the red eye drops may certainly have been a link, but I woke up one morning to find the right-hand side of my right eye completely red. I looked like a demon! I didn't go cold turkey with the Visine drops until a few weeks later after being diagnosed for certain with episcleritis. My left-hand side of my left eye also suffered a bit from episcleritis too. I was told my eyes were extremely, extremely dry and was given moisturising drops (for contact lens dryness, not dry eye syndrome however) to help with it.

The episcleritis eventually died down around the end of May, but I was still left with a cluster of blood vessels at the right-hand side of my right eye, and the left side of my left eye. I had a check-up at the end of June to the optician's, who told me that my eyes were still very, very dry and gave me proper artificial tears to deal with them.

I've seen an ophthalmologist, and I've been given steroid eye drops. Acular, with ketorolac trometamol 0.5%. I haven't used them yet, as I'm terrified of what could happen.

The clusters are still there. I also have red veins around the tear ducts. I'm using the artificial tears, and have done hot compresses (are hot or cold compresses better for dry eyes, by the way?) but I'm not seeing an improvement over the days. Just the same cycle of very red eye in the morning, artificial tears helps it die down, redness worsens again after half an hour of application, artificial tears, etc.

I have no idea whether the episcleritis has left its mark on my eyes, or whether the blood vessels are rebound hyperemia from this excessive use of Visine eye drops. Or whether it's to do with something else entirely. I have no idea whether they are permanent, or whether they'll go away eventually. I have noticed however, that if I lift up my upper eyelid, the part of the eyeball under there is very white compared to the central area which is less so. (Does anyone have any thoughts on this?)

If you have any ideas or comments or your own stories, please do share! Hopefully we can help each other to clear and healthy eyes!

//////////
    Last edited by hankm9; 23-May-2016, 07:27.

Comment

Originally posted by cc52 View Post
      Hello all,

I've just joined this place and it's nice to e-meet you!

I'm currently suffering from very red and dry eyes, sometimes itchy, often irritated and tired-feeling. I'm often finding a lot of mucous coming out as well. I'm using artificial tears to help with the dryness, which is something I feel the most first thing in the morning. I notice that once I drown my eyes in tears, the redness dies down quite a bit (though it's still there), but half an hour or so later and my eyes begin to slowly become redder again. So, lots of artificial tears throughout the day.

I'm 20 years old, and I've found out from my mum recently that ever since I was five or so, my eyes would be red in the morning. She'd apply moisturising eye drops to deal with that, but perhaps I had dry eyes at that point too? Somewhere down the line, apparently aged 12 - I moved on to the Visine drops (Vital Eyes Brightening Drops - I guess a UK equivalent of the Clear Eyes drops I've been reading about). I can't remember how often I applied them from 12-17 (I don't think I was as dependent on them then, certainly not when I was 12-15), but I definitely know that over the past two or three years, I became addicted to them and most likely used them every day. I had no idea of its effects on the eye back then - I only realised a few months ago. I certainly wish I could have them banned from all chemists.

In mid-April this year, I contracted episcleritis. I have no idea what caused it, and the red eye drops may certainly have been a link, but I woke up one morning to find the right-hand side of my right eye completely red. I looked like a demon! I didn't go cold turkey with the Visine drops until a few weeks later after being diagnosed for certain with episcleritis. My left-hand side of my left eye also suffered a bit from episcleritis too. I was told my eyes were extremely, extremely dry and was given moisturising drops (for contact lens dryness, not dry eye syndrome however) to help with it.

The episcleritis eventually died down around the end of May, but I was still left with a cluster of blood vessels at the right-hand side of my right eye, and the left side of my left eye. I had a check-up at the end of June to the optician's, who told me that my eyes were still very, very dry and gave me proper artificial tears to deal with them.

I've seen an ophthalmologist, and I've been given steroid eye drops. Acular, with ketorolac trometamol 0.5%. I haven't used them yet, as I'm terrified of what could happen.

The clusters are still there. I also have red veins around the tear ducts. I'm using the artificial tears, and have done hot compresses (are hot or cold compresses better for dry eyes, by the way?) but I'm not seeing an improvement over the days. Just the same cycle of very red eye in the morning, artificial tears helps it die down, redness worsens again after half an hour of application, artificial tears, etc.

I have no idea whether the episcleritis has left its mark on my eyes, or whether the blood vessels are rebound hyperemia from this excessive use of Visine eye drops. Or whether it's to do with something else entirely. I have no idea whether they are permanent, or whether they'll go away eventually. I have noticed however, that if I lift up my upper eyelid, the part of the eyeball under there is very white compared to the central area which is less so. (Does anyone have any thoughts on this?)

If you have any ideas or comments or your own stories, please do share! Hopefully we can help each other to clear and healthy eyes!
      You just wrote part of my life story. I went through the same thing at your age, and I am still battling this redness 25 years later. I stopped the Visine eye drops in my mid-thirties and switched to lubricating drops. This did help. My upper eye is whiter than my central eye which is probably why my doctors diagnosed allergies (did any of yours mention this?). I personally think I have a combination of allergies and rosacea, which affects inflammation and dryness. I take lots of fish oil and flaxseed oil, MSM, b vitamins, and magnesium which helps. The reason I think I have some rosacea is that stress and light are strong triggers of the redness and dryness. Have you read up on ocular rosacea? You should google that because you may have this as well.

Comment

hankm9 - Thank you for your input! I have an appointment with an eye doctor on Thursday who I hope will give me a proper diagnosis. I'll ask about demodex blepharitis, and update with the results.

calcan - Thank you so much for your thoughts! How long had you used Visine eye drops for before quitting?
        The doctor I visited didn't say anything about allergies - but I'm not sure whether it is allergies I have because although I have itchy eyes now and then, I don't have other allergy symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, etc.). She wasn't really helpful at all though so a second opinion would be useful.
        I've just looked up ocular rosacea, and I'll be sure to ask about it at my eye appointment on Thursday.
        I'll post the results after then, and hope that the doctor finds a proper solution! It's such a nuisance having to apply eye drops every twenty minutes. I'm just praying that the dryness and redness isn't something I'll have to deal with indefinitely - being a student and about to start a year abroad in 6 days, it's a mighty challenge and restriction on life.

Comment

After a trip to the ophthalmologists, I can confirm I don't have blepharitis, or ocular rosacea. Just dry eye in its purest form. My tear glands just produce no moisture at all.
          I've now been prescribed preservative-free lubricants and an ointment for night time, and should try to avoid air conditioning/heaters, etc., and the doctor will check back with me after a few months.

Comment

After a trip to the ophthalmologists, I can confirm I don't have blepharitis, or ocular rosacea. Just dry eye in its purest form. My tear glands just produce no moisture at all.
            I've now been prescribed preservative-free lubricants and an ointment for night time, and should try to avoid air conditioning/heaters, etc., and the doctor will check back with me after a few months.
            Did your doctor say why your tear glands aren't producing? Usually there's a reason, such as allergies, blepharitis, or rosacea; did she give a name for the condition other than dry eyes?

Comment

Hi calcan, he said that it was most likely due to the vasoconstrictor drops. He said I don't have either blepharitis nor rosacea.

Comment

Hi calcan, he said that it was most likely due to the vasoconstrictor drops. He said I don't have either blepharitis nor rosacea.
                When you get the chance, ask the doctor if it is reversible. I have had 4 opthamologists prescribe these vasoconstrictors; none of them told me of the side effects. I found out from my own research, and then stopped the drops on my own.

Comment

Working...
                X