X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with Sudden Onset of Dry Eye

Hi everyone,

I have been viewing this site almost religiously since my sudden onset of Dry Eye this July. I had Lasik three years ago and have never had any issues with dry eye, never used eye drops in my life (except for a few weeks after Lasik). I was working in Cincinnati in an internship this summer, went to work one morning, came home with a headache and everything went downhill from there. I am having a hard time accepting this problem, especially since it came on so suddenly and out of the blue. During the worst time I was sitting at my computer with sunglasses on putting eyedrops in every 15-30 minutes. I have seen multiple doctors: one said Lasik likely caused my problem, another said it was highly unlikely that Lasik caused my problem, and the third one said that he didn't know what led to this issue. One doctor diagnosed me with blepharitis while another doctor said he didn't see any sign of blepahritis/MGD, therefore his diagnosis was aqueous deficiency.

All of them agreed that my TBUT score is a 0 in both eyes, didn't get a schirmer's test done but they attempted to do a tearlab which wouldn't even read due to lack of tears. I have been taking restasis for the past couple of months, I think it has helped with the inflammation but my tear quality/quantity has not returned. At my last doctor's appointment they put in collagen punctal plugs which seemed to have helped a little, have an appointment in a couple of weeks and will probably opt for a "permanent" lower plug. I have onion goggles which I use occassionally at home when my eyes are hurting. My biggest issue is I feel like someone is putting pressure on the eye muscles behind my eyes, especially when using a computer. Does anyone else have that feeling?

I took a medical leave of absence from my MBA degree and spend the majority of my day at home depressed, anxious, and unsure of my abilities anymore. I feel like this disease is impacting my future career and family dreams, feels like the biggest sucker punch in life. Luckily my wife and family have been very supportive, but at times I don't think they understand how limiting and frightening this is.

Well, that is my story and first post. Thanks for listening, hope to get some encouraging responses. I know everyone says that it gets better, but right now I just can't see how.

A2DryEye

Hi A2DryeEye,

We know how you feel about your life, the future. We feel the same, and nobody else knows what we feel.

Well, I think I have same issues in common wirh you.

I had Lasik in 2005 and I had never used eye drops (except the weeks after Lasik, when all the doctors prescribe us eye drops). But in september last year (six year after Lasik), I woke up feeling some burning in my eyes. I thought it was because I slept badly. Things got worse and worse til january. Since then it has stabilized. Some weeks better, others worse, at least I had two weeks this year when I forgot my eyes and felt almost normal (ok, the photophobia never left me).

Like you I had some doctor who "blamed" Lasik, and other said it had nohing to do with Lasik, and other said Lasik for sure is a factor but it didn't explain solely my problem. Well, I never had a MGD or bleph diagnosis. My TBUT is lower than the normal, my Schirmer is 10 and 3. At this point we (I and my doctor) think the problem is in the aqueous layer.

I'm trying restasis (I started 10 days ago). None eye drops give me any relief, and they makes things worse (The excepction was Netramritam eyedrop, an ayurvedic eyedrop that was fine for one month)
    I do warm compress and it gives me relief for some minutes at least. I wear moisture chamber glasses (Wiley-X) at work and at home (I should wear it all the time because my eyes burns usually all the time).

I guess I have some corneal neuropathy and not just "dry eyes", because my symptoms are much worse than my clinical signs. I guess Lasik had messed up something in my eyes (nerves), that the scientists just don't know.

Would Lasik be the thalidomide of the eyes?

keep strong

P.S. I don't have the feeling of someone putting pressure behind my eyes. Probably someone on this board have something to say about that.

Comment

Maybe your DES has something to do with this, who knows?

Corneal reinnervation after LASIK: prospective 3-year longitudinal study.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

The number and density of subbasal nerves decreased >90% in the first month after LASIK. By 6 months these nerves began to recover, and by 2 years they reached densities not significantly different from those before LASIK. Between 2 and 3 years they decreased again, so that at 3 years the numbers remained <60% of the pre-LASIK numbers

Comment

Hey A2DryEye,

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Originally posted by A2DryEye View Post
        Hi everyone,

I have been viewing this site almost religiously since my sudden onset of Dry Eye this July. I had Lasik three years ago and have never had any issues with dry eye, never used eye drops in my life (except for a few weeks after Lasik). I was working in Cincinnati in an internship this summer, went to work one morning, came home with a headache and everything went downhill from there. I am having a hard time accepting this problem, especially since it came on so suddenly and out of the blue. During the worst time I was sitting at my computer with sunglasses on putting eyedrops in every 15-30 minutes. I have seen multiple doctors: one said Lasik likely caused my problem, another said it was highly unlikely that Lasik caused my problem, and the third one said that he didn't know what led to this issue. One doctor diagnosed me with blepharitis while another doctor said he didn't see any sign of blepahritis/MGD, therefore his diagnosis was aqueous deficiency.

All of them agreed that my TBUT score is a 0 in both eyes, didn't get a schirmer's test done but they attempted to do a tearlab which wouldn't even read due to lack of tears. I have been taking restasis for the past couple of months, I think it has helped with the inflammation but my tear quality/quantity has not returned. At my last doctor's appointment they put in collagen punctal plugs which seemed to have helped a little, have an appointment in a couple of weeks and will probably opt for a "permanent" lower plug. I have onion goggles which I use occassionally at home when my eyes are hurting. My biggest issue is I feel like someone is putting pressure on the eye muscles behind my eyes, especially when using a computer. Does anyone else have that feeling?

A2DryEye
        I have aqueous deficient eyes has well and I'm just 6 months post LASIK. Did you ever experience any dryness post LASIK at all?

Regarding the pressure, are you using any steroids? My problem was that, my eye does not like preservatives or steroids so watch out for that.

I have had to cauterize my punctums, the permanent plugs didn't work so well for me. It's too early for me to comment on the benefits or drawbacks of cauterization.

Do wear moisture goggles when using the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by A2DryEye View Post
          Hi everyone,

A2DryEye

All doctors are the same. you may asked for futher tests that this.. bla...
          If you visit two optha. in a single day they will give entire different opinions and tests ............
          we all gone through this
          I have chosen natural way. it is ok. try it.
          Last edited by eye_allergy-kids; 09-Oct-2012, 02:07.
          Raw eating cures all deceases.
          whole body cure is eye cure
          FOOD (Natural, chemical free), Environment (air, water, noise), Relaxed Mind makes decease free

Comment

Working...
          X