X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Has Ruined My Life - 25 year old female

Any thoughts or advice on my situation would be appreciated:

I am currently getting a master's in accounting degree, and I doubt whether accounting is even the right fit for me because it will require all day in front of a computer, and working on a computer makes symptoms worse. It is really sad because I graduated magna cum laude with a B.S. in accounting, and I really like numbers so getting the master's degree seemed like the next step. Nevertheless, I am thinking about dropping out of my program. The question is: Is there a job out there for me where I can make a decent amount of money and NOT work in front of a computer? Do any of you fellow dry eye sufferers out there spend the whole day working on a computer? Has your dry eye made it difficult for you to make a living?

Besides my future professional life, I feel like dry eye has ruined my dreams of having a family one day. I can’t imagine myself a mother anymore because my eyes require too much of me (time and finances), and I don’t think I could handle the responsibility of caring for an infant/child. Do any of you fellow young dry eye sufferers feel like you shouldn’t have a family anymore? Or any there any parents out there who struggle with having this disease and caring for their children at same time?

I had both of my kids AFTER my dry eyes... totally 100% doable so don't let your eyes prevent you from having a family some day!! You'll be fine You just put in drops and get on with it... (and in my case, slap on my Wiley X's!!).

Comment

Hi LDP, sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. I'm in a very similar situation myself. I was doing my Masters in International Conflict and was absolutely loving it. Unfortunately, I got partway through my dissertation and my eyes took a drastic turn for the worst. My eyes became very blurry, red and sore. My eyesight was blurry for 2 whole weeks, and it got to the stage where I couldn't read. It was an extremely difficult time for me. The rest of my class were caught up in the excitement of research and getting closer to being finished and having Masters degrees. Meanwhile, I was worried about ever seeing clearly again. Would I be able to read? Would I be able to use a computer? Would I ever be able to get a job?

I decided to postpone submitting my thesis - it seemed like my only option. It wasn't an easy option though! I felt like I was giving up, I found it extremely tough to stay in touch with my classmates, and when graduation photos started to pop up on Facebook I felt very isolated and dissapointed with myself.

On the plus side, the break has given my eyes plenty of time to rest. I can now stay on a computer for longer, I can easily read on my Kindle, and i have a much better quality of life overall.

On the downside, I still haven't finished my thesis. It's a very difficult thing to start up again, particularly on my own as everyone else has moved on. I also have difficulties in justifying the time and effort it takes to do it - is the impact on my eyes worth it?

In 20/20 hindsight this is what I would have done differently:
      • Ask for extensions to essay and project deadlines throughout the year so I'm not up all night with painful eyes trying to get everything finished and burning myself out.
      • Explained the situation to my lecturers and asked for a thesis deadline extension from the start.
      • Spend less time trying to get a first and just get through the work - what I wouldn't give now to have a completed 2.2 Masters instead of being in limbo.
      • Given my eyes a break more often! At the beginning of the course I was very stubborn and pushed through. Taking it easier from the beginning would have made a world of difference.

So, I guess my advice is to take it handy, talk to your lecturers and explain your problems, but try to finish the course. Also, get creative! Your love for numbers can be applied to many different things not just an accounting job in front of a computer all day. It might be tough to think about changing your life plan, but it's worth looking into alternative uses for your skills.

Wishing all the best for you,
      Súil Eile
      Last edited by Súil Eile; 13-Oct-2012, 05:32. Reason: spelling
      The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Sorry to hear all of this but im in the same situation. Career wise, i dont think ive any chance besides something on the computer, its of my nature. Sadly i got dry eyes due to a little accident and all the computer use. Whatever dont give up, I would suggest doing something else or resting for a bit of time and working on diet and exercise which will help cure your dry eyes literally after a few months. Dont give up!

Comment

Dry eyes has changed my life to very bad. I love kids and i wanted to have a family but now i can not imagine having a boyfriend. I think about my eyes 24/7 i started on restasis few days ago,but after reading here iam afraid it will make my eyes worse. It burns not when i apply it but after 15 min.

Comment

Have you tried Thera - Tears? They have eye drops, and vitamin supplements at Amazon and I actually ordered some for myself to try. There's also a book in amazon about dry eyes and I also tried it to see if there is anything else you can do. I recently discovered that I have dry eyes myself and have been taking omega 3 capsules for one week now and it has been highly effective in raising my tolerance for dry eyes! I suggest you try them yourself.

Like yourself, I literally went crazy trying to find out what was wrong with my eyes to the point that I don't get any work done and don't go out at night anymore because of the discomfort. I also have a bad back and a surgically repaired shoulder but this doesnt stop me from doing the things I want to do. Just try to isolate the cause of your problem and find a solution from there. These Omega 3 capsules have been very effective for me (albeit not a 100 percent cure) and I am very optmisitic I will overcome this problem once I set myself up with special glasses and thera tears.
            Last edited by kingofthebraves; 11-Feb-2013, 02:38.

Comment

what did cause your dry eyes? mine is a high brightness lcd laptop and brightness when high will dry your eyes for sure. I also am in the same dilemna as yours but dry eyes can be fixed it just takes nutrition efforts. Im sure you can heal them and get back to work thats what I will try to do atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeye4ever View Post
                what did cause your dry eyes? mine is a high brightness lcd laptop and brightness when high will dry your eyes for sure. I also am in the same dilemna as yours but dry eyes can be fixed it just takes nutrition efforts. Im sure you can heal them and get back to work thats what I will try to do atleast.
                I think I finally narrowed down the causes of my dry eyes to climate, wind, fans and air conditioning. I've been experimenting with caffeine intake and it seems to have no effect. Omega oil does help but not as much as you'd want it to be. You will still always be susceptible to wind and dry climate.

I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH EVERYONE THAT OVER THE EYEGLASS GOGGLES HAVE HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY WITH DRY EYES. They're typically used for skiing and motor sports and they are fantastic in keeping my eyes nice and moist. I can see clearly without any glare at all even in a fully air-conditioned room thanks to my goggles!! I highly recommend you try them

I am currently using:

Oakley wind jacket - Sunglasses with rubber gaskets that work perfectly to seal moisture for your eyes. This is the only pair of glasses I've encountered that does not use foam. Foam cannot hold up to sweat and over time will break apart. They fit great and comes with clear and tinted lenses. I use this primarily for driving.

http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-Wind-Ja.../dp/B0050VYI3E

Guard Dog evaders - I wear large thick rimmed eyeglasses and these can fit over them!! Seals are made of foam and they're starting to come off after two weeks of use but I'm not complaining! I can now work in my office without having to worry about my eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Guard-Dogs-Eva...d+dogs+evaders

I also plan on getting:

http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-Proven-...rds=oakley+otg

I don't expect the guard dogs to last for a very long time because the foam seals are literally just glued on the edges but hopefully these oakleys will give me the durability I need. I just don't know if they'll fit my large frame.

Let me know if this helps

Comment

Dry eyes does not heal. You just have to improve your lifestyle and work around it. No amount of eye drops or vitamin supplements can help you, it's all about management. It came to a point for me that I was putting on eye drops every hour and switching brands every month to no avail.

Comment

Computer dry eye does heal, if that is all that is involved. I think looking at modifications to computer use would probably do the trick. On the other hand, if you've got mgd, Ocular Rosacea, or any number of other goodies, those are not on the readily curable list. There are lots of things you can do to modify computer use. Best of luck to you LDP.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofthebraves View Post
                      Dry eyes does not heal. You just have to improve your lifestyle and work around it. No amount of eye drops or vitamin supplements can help you, it's all about management. It came to a point for me that I was putting on eye drops every hour and switching brands every month to no avail.
                      It does heal and we have some proofs here. Its a lack of tears in layers which the body can regenerate with proper nutrition. You have to stay away from screens and this includes computer for atleast 3-4 months.

Comment

Dryeye-
                        I like the idea of staying away from computers for 4 months. Are there any on here who have tried that and had great progress in healing?

Comment

It does heal and we have some proofs here. Its a lack of tears in layers which the body can regenerate with proper nutrition. You have to stay away from screens and this includes computer for atleast 3-4 months.
                          i've wondered about the regeneration - does anyone have any experience with that?

Comment

Ive discussed with an IT guy that had a dry eye problem and solved his problem with nutrition to reduce inflammation and abstination from the computer, phone, tv. I think it atleast takes 4 months since the body upgrades after 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofthebraves View Post
                              Dry eyes does not heal.
                              Everyone is different. Some people may very well end up struggling with this over the long term. But most people, I think, do find improvement over time. The key is figuring out what is contributing to one's symptoms and figuring out what all the causes are for you personally (and there could be more than one!!!).

So yes, dry eyes can, and do heal. Just not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X