X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update & What has helped me improve

Hey everyone,

I know it has been awhile, but thought I would give everyone an update. I suffer from MGD/blepharitis, and pretty early in the game I steered away from the 'conventional route' of restasis and azasite and took it upon myself to finding out why my body was so pissed off at my eye tissue. In my year of battling this condition, I have learned a lot and in some ways I am thankful because my overall health has really improved. But in a nutshell here are some things that have really helped me that might be helpful for some of you to try:

1) Probiotic eye drops--I know they don't make these (that I know of), but I simply make them myself. If you go to your local health foods store, check and see if they have inner-eco to go mega probiotic coconut water kefir (original flavor, but it doesn't matter I've used flavored ones if they don't have it) I drop approx. 15 drops of coconut kefir water into non-chlorinated water (important because tap water/chlorine water kills the beneficial bacteria in the probiotic). Take a dropper, and put a few drops on the inside part of the eyelid. It might sting a little bit, but it helps me alot. There was a research study that Dr. Latkany was recently involved in that had to do with putting probiotic eye drops into ocular rosacea patients, and their symptoms improved, so I decided to give it a try. Here's the article if you want to check it out: http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=4964

2) Diet, Diet, Diet. It sucks, I miss eating whatever the heck I want like I did for twenty years. But the bottom line is that my paleo diet regimen makes my eyes feel better. When I eat a bunch of sugar, my eyes take the punishment a few hours later. I really recommend the new book The Perfect Health Diet written by Paul Jaminet. It really is a fascinating book that takes a whole new perspective on food and diet.

3) Milk Thistle. This one I discovered in the past several weeks. I went to a gastroenterologist because I also have IBS symptoms, and when I received blood tests, my liver enzymes were elevated. This indicates your liver is inflamed. I was actually happy to finally get a "positive test" for something, because at least that gives me some paths to investigate. Milk thistle is world-renowned for its liver support capabilities. I started taking 3 a day with every meal, and the inflammation surrounding my eyes has improved.

4) Stress sucks when you have an inflammatory disease. A lot of people with any kind of one will tell you the same thing. Visual therapy and other relaxation techniques help a lot. I have never been a believer that the "mind-body" connection plays a significant role in disease development, but browse the internet about the topic a little bit and the literature/research continues to grow. It is pretty fascinating, at least I think so.

Hope everyone has been doing well, and if you have any questions just shoot me a message.

So glad to hear your improvement. Ive been doing something quite similar diet and lifestyle wise with similar results. Id definitely want to try the probiotic eye drop, which i think could only be beneficial.

Are your eyes pretty much back to normal now? do you use any eye drops other than the probiotic one?

Comment

Thanks I appreciate it. But yes, my eyes have really improved. Compared to 6 months ago when my blepharitis/MGD really set in, it is night and day. But no, I do not use any other drops anymore because I don't have any reason to. I used to carry around Lotemax and Theratears everywhere I went. As for the probiotic drops, 15 drops like I said might be a little much. I use that many simply because my college is not located near any health food store, so the probiotic liquid that I use is somewhat old and not as potent. With a fresh bottle, I put 10-12 drops of coconut kefir into a "cap full" of Fiji water (simply because it is non-chlorinated) and I have my drops for the day. I use them once in the morning, midday, at night, or whenever I feel like my eyes might be flaring up. Good luck.

Comment

Hi kandykane1544,

I am impressed by your recovery by putting probiotics in your eyes! I as well have chronic eye inflammations and I have to carry Lotemax with me everywhere I go! And I am sure that probiotics is the best & healthiest natural solution for inflammations, because I also have Crohn's (inflammation of my intestines) and I have been quite stable from it every since I started taking probiotics last year. I think I am actually even cured from Crohn's : )

My doctors tell me that my eye inflammations are related to my Crohn's, so I was hoping that my eye inflammations would start to get stable as well since my Crohn's is much better .... but I have still been getting attacks with the eye inflammation : (

So now I am desperate, and I am willing to try other alternatives because steroid eye drops raise my eye pressure. I would like to ask you a question on how you made your Coconut Kefir eye solution. You said you put 15 drops of coconut kefir in Fiji water. Is this a small 500 ml bottle? Or a bigger bottle? And please give me a little update on your situation. I hope everything is still going great with your eyes! Thanks.

Best Regards,

Charles

Comment

Hi Guys.

Yesterday I made these probiotic eyedrops and my eyes went haywire after i dropped them in. They're redder than ever and I'm not really sure what to do. I tried putting in a drop of fml yesterday and drop of lotemax today but they haven't helped at all. Does anyone have any suggestions? If it was just one drop, the effects should at some point start to fade away right?

Comment

Originally posted by kandykane1544 View Post
            Hey everyone,

4) Stress sucks when you have an inflammatory disease. A lot of people with any kind of one will tell you the same thing. Visual therapy and other relaxation techniques help a lot. I have never been a believer that the "mind-body" connection plays a significant role in disease development, but browse the internet about the topic a little bit and the literature/research continues to grow. It is pretty fascinating, at least I think so.
            Could you tell more about "visual therapy and other relaxation techniques"? What were they about?

Comment

I am happy this worked for you kandykane! I notice in the article you posted that probiotics were tested on people with vernal keratoconjunctivitis, which sounds pretty much like seasonal allergies. I am not sure. It does mention Rosacea, and it sounds like probiotics worked for you. What kind of thistle supplement do you take?

Comment

Working...
              X