X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 years later a new diagnosis!

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted, so thought I'd update.

My local optometrist here in Stonehaven, Scotland has a Canadian guy working there and my sis got talking to him during a visit and mentioned me and my dry eyes..........that impressed with what he was saying I decided to make an appointment with him about my dry eyes..........always looking for a new approach (cure!). That was yesterday.

After a good examination and a long chat about the circumstances behind my right eye (way, way worse than the left) he told me I had Demodex Folliculorum (secondary to Bleph)...........I had never heard of it!!! He described it as little mites and tubes that surround the base of the hair follicles on the eye lash.
    He also told me I had a very small touch of Rosacea, but nothing to write home about or look at, at this stage.

No straight cure for Demodex.F (as ever!) but can be treated with Tea Tree Oil and using liberal amounts of Lacrilube at night to starv the mites.

Here we go again......fingers crossed. I'm back very positive again that I can do something about this life changing eye problems!

Ian.

Thanks, Ian ~ very good to hear you've got progress and kind of you to post up. Hankm here has done some fine research on demodex and flown from Australia to Florida to see Dr Scheffer Tseng's team http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...17359-Demodex!. The videos he got there are particularly gross but fascinating.

For info, I got Dr Tseng's TTO eyewipe Cliradex http://www.cliradex.com/delivered FedEx here to London without problems but expensive US$29 for 24 wipes. Ingredients: water, 4-Terpineol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Carbomer, Triethanolamine.

Apart from the convenience, we're not seeing a difference between the organic tea tree shampoo solution (diluted 1:50 with warm sterile water) we were using as an eyelid cleaner before. I would say that TTO has helped - the collarettes at the eyelash bases have gone and there's no debris hanging around, and the eyes look better. After reading up Dr Tseng's work (PubMed and Eyeworld), my daughter wipes round the face too and uses eg Body Shop TTO facewash and moisturisers sometimes. 'Under the Lash'.. Lacey, Kavanagh, Tseng. Biochem 2009

Our ophth suggested cleaning with TTO solution every day with a view to a kill, then tapering to once or twice a week for prevention/control to avoid getting sensitised to TTO, which can be harsh, especially with rosacea sensitive skin. Demodex is naturally occurring for humans but I think it's proliferation secondary to damaged skin we're to deal with, so it may be the same with you.

Good luck, Ian ~ wish you good comfort and progress.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 05-Apr-2013, 00:01.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks littlemermaid, I tried to purchase Cliradex online but looks like prescription only..........but as you said probably no diff to Tea Oil stuff, so I've bought a load via Amazon including the oil, shampoo/shower gel & face wash.

Here's hoping!

Ian.

Comment

Hi Ian ~ Not prescription because there's nothing much in it except the TTO extract - we paid by credit card over the phone and it was delivered FedEx. I've asked Butterflies Healthcare in Banbury if they'll import it but not heard. Cleverly, it's marketed for import as a cosmetic skin wipe. But I'm not seeing an advantage in the Cliradex formulation yet, esp not at that price.

Careful with the TTO products - we've found them harsh on the rosacea in daily use and had to reduce. I think the night time moisturiser is a good plan.

Very best wishes for improvement

Comment

Found this.....good info!

http://www.healio.com/optometry/corn...doctor-patient

Ian.

Comment

Very good to have you on the job! Very nice demodex article with practical treatment protocol. Is anyone using antibacterials to combat die-off? We just pressed on through, didn't see any problems on the eyelid margins but the p&p face breaks out a bit strangely then resolves.

Comment

Working...
            X