This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My doc has given up on me!!

Unsurprisingly things have come to a head with the consultant i was seeing at my local eye hospital. He told me on Wednesday there is nothing more he can do for me and will refer me back to my GP. He then went off on a rant about about how much he and his team had done for me and they could do no more. He really is a horrible man, his beside manner (with me anyway) leaves a lot to desired. He told me my eyes were moist and i do not have MGD or Blep. I asked if that was the case why was i still in so much discomfort and he more or less inferred it was all in my head! The day before i saw this person an optomotrist had looked at my eyes and told me half of glands were blocked, when i mentioned this fact he said he wasnt interested in other peoples opinions and my glands were fine.

I would love to find a doc who understands dry eye and is sympathetic..........

I had this too at my local eye hospital. I was told I just had a bit of bleph and he wrote to my GP saying I appeared depressed inferring that my pain wasn't real. I researched the other consultants there and sent a letter to the secretary of the one I wanted to see asking if I could see him or who else he could suggest with interest in dry eye disease. I am now his patient and I now know that my condition is considered severe and I see him monthly.

Do you have anywhere else near to you you could go to? I know it takes a while if your GP has to refer you somewhere else but finding a knowledgeable opth who actually appears to care is so important. Although I'm still in a lot of pain I feel much more confident that I've found an opth who will do all he can to help. Don't let this thoughtless doctor hold you back, be persistent.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzyk View Post
      ...he more or less inferred it was all in my head! The day before i saw this person an optomotrist had looked at my eyes and told me half of glands were blocked, when i mentioned this fact he said he wasnt interested in other peoples opinions and my glands were fine.

I would love to find a doc who understands dry eye and is sympathetic..........
      The problem is in HIS head. I am glad you have found a new doctor. Best wishes to you!

Comment

Hello Lizzyk,
        what are your latest Schirmer and especially the BUT test results?
        When and where your eye Problems do occur most frequently,
        computer Screen work, reading etc.,
        are your eyes red in the morning.

Do you have seen dr Obrart in London?
        http://www.davidobrart.co.uk/contact.html

First an expert like dr Obrart has to decide, if you do have These hard pluggings - obstructions in your MGs.
        If so, only a MG probing will re-open the glands.
        If several of your MGs do only suffer from the more soft obstructions, a careful
        basic MG Expression will help.
        You will have to ask a local ophthalm if she-he is ready to do these expressions.

For a good and efficient Expression it takes:

A facial sauna, two plastic corneal shields, a Collins-Bruder MGE forcep or a paddle.
        A careful Manual Expression is even more efficient than Lipiflow and it is a low cost solution.

Some patients in Germany have started doing the Expression at home!
        The key for a successful MGD Treatment is the frequent MG Expression.
        It is the main problem how to keep the glands open for the long run.

That does mean, MG expressions every week or every two weeks for a certain time. Later on one time in a month.
        If patients do find a doc that does These MGEs it is best.

But if patients don`t find such an ophthalm or can`t afford the costs, the do-it-yourself treatments at home
        is the best solution!

Comment

Hi Lizzyk, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dry-eye...roduction.aspx Here are the NHS Choices treatment guidelines on dry eye. Note that NHS Ophthalmology is not permitted to give up on you if you have a chronic condition, especially if there is keratitis, pain or vision changes (see 'complications' section, 'It is essential you go to an accident and emergency department if you notice reduction in your vision.')

If an Optometrist observes a disorder, regulations state they must refer you back to an Ophthalmologist.

Dealing with this daily, we can all 'sympathise' with his frustration because it is difficult managing this, but certainly not his professional behaviour. If there is inflammation, you will be boomeranged back into the NHS by any Optometrist if there are signs of ongoing problems, and theoretically, you can Choose & Book.

Is there another Consultant you would like? Do you think you can self-manage with support? Is there anything else you would like to try? (I know you've tried plugs and Lipiflow) Do you think investigations for systemic causes have been done to your satisfaction? It's important that someone monitors your eyes regularly and offers support for the emotional side of living with this in long-term follow-up.
          Last edited by littlemermaid; 15-Sep-2013, 11:19.
          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the info/support

L. M. I did consider Obrart but the consultation and the probing is very expensive but i will consider him again.

Where can i buy the items to do the probing myself?

I intend to have a chat with my GP to see what the next step would be. Yesterday i saw another optician and asked him to check my eyes he also confirmed my glands are blocked, so the consultant is wrong!!

Comment

Hello Lizzyk ~ maybe PM Splat in Cornwall about the criteria for her Moorfields referral http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...wall#post85275. A trip to London for 3/4m follow-up sounds like heaven. We would be far more likely to get eg cyclosporine there, if recommended, if there's no one else in the County or Region. This can be all about quality of life and long-term maintenance. I even quite like a one-off 'where do you think this is going?', 'any good ideas' consultation.

Are you happy with your regular MGD maintenance at home because it sounds like you know what you're doing with keeping the glands good? We quite like Blephasteam for convenience, quite relaxing, creates a moisture chamber, not direct heat. If there is 'clinical need', we qualify as medical equipment for zero VAT http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000121
              Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by lizzyk View Post
                where can i buy the items to do the probing myself?
                not!!!!!!
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Ooops!! I meant to say where can i buy the items to do the EXPRESSION myself?

Comment

Working...
                  X