X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tears are evaporating too quickly

Hi all,

I have always had trouble with my eyes since I was 19. I was then diagnosed with MS in 2008 when I was 28 and ever since then my dry eye has got worse. There were also times when I went into complete remission with my eyes for weeks, months and sometimes years which I find very odd.

I am 36 now and my eyes are worse than ever. 2 years ago I had a corneal errosion on my left eye which took about 5 months to heal, although to be honest the hospital has advised that it's now the weaker eye and it doesn't feel the same.

For two weeks my tear duct has been excruciating itchy to the point where it's absolute relief to scratch it but that causes more issues and inflammation. I had an eye test and they put the yellow dye in my eye and said that my tear production is OK, although the tears are evaporating far too quickly and that's what's causing the severe dryness.

I use a drop called hycosan, which is great and non preservative but it doesn't seem to lubricate enough. I have tried just about everything on the market and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I'm really feeling so much uncomfortableness with this and would like to try and ease things for myself. Would also be happy to know if any dietary changes or certain foods could help me.

Thank you very much
    Laura

Evaporative dry eye can be due to meibomian gland dysfunction, they're little pores near the base of each eyelash that secrete oils that are then blinked across the eye as a protective lubricating barrier. Your doctor can check them by squeezing the eyelid margin and telling you if the oil comes out easily or if it's thick and clogged. If not already you can try warm compresses with a microwavable heat eye mask, eye drops containing oils like Systane Balance / Retaine MGD etc., eyelid hygeine with wipes such as OcuSoft / Optase Tea Tree / Cliradex, eyelid sprays such as Hypochlor / Heyedrate / Avenova. As far as diet goes I know some have found doing an elimination diet to check if there are any food sensitivities helpful e.g. gluten etc. Also some have had success with foods that contain a lot of antioxidants or antioxidant drinks like citrus green tea.
    Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Have you tried Xiidra? It has been a lifesaver for me.

Comment

Working...
      X