This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dry eyes

Hello. I wanted to repost my story with some updates. I will welcome any insight regarding anything that follows.
    I’m 32, male, and have had dry eyes for 4 years (started out of nowhere). I live in Poland.

I have seen 12 eye doctors, and none of them has been able to tell me even what type of dry eyes I have (oil or aqueous deficiency). Their help is restricted to prescribing random moisturizing drops. Both Schirmer and TBUT results were pretty bad.

When I’m indoors, not using computer, not watching TV, not reading – basically not doing anything, my eyes are rather fine (apart from bearable sensation of dryness from time to time). After a while of computer use (or reading) my eyes start to burn. Rather than associating it with blinking often enough (I followed all the ‘computer use’ tips for relieving eyes) I put it down to the light the screens emit. I decreased the brightness to minimum, installed flux, inverted test-background color where possible (for example ‘Dark Background and Light Text’ plugin for Firefox) and it has made computer use bearable to an extent.

I have NOT experienced things like: redness, gritty feeling, blurred vision, excess tearing. I have not had LASIK surgery. I didn't seem to have any eye-lid problems at first, but a year ago I started having those weird veins on my eye-lids.

I have used most of the common treatments like: hot compresses, eyelid hygiene, massages, diet changes, eye-friendly supplements, I’ve tried 15 different eye drops for dry eyes. No effect (not one that could be felt at least). I also did some blood tests for dificiencies (vit A, vit D, zink, and some others I don't remember). I only seemed to have mild vit D deficiency for which I've taken supplements.

Around a year ago an eye doctor gave me Flarex (corticosteroid eye drops) for my left eye pains (which have also plagued me). I think it’s those drops that, after a month of taking them, made my eyes irreversibly much, much worse when I’m outside. I learned to walk with my eyes closed most of the time, but even that didn’t help. That made me buy moisture chamber glasses (Ziena Nereous) which help outdoors somewhat, but I still often need to keep my eyes closed, especially when there is air movement. The glasses don’t help with the burning I experience when I use computer (or when I read) whatsoever (which I find interesting, since they help many people), so I keep them off when I’m indoors. Along with the outdoors problem, I’ve been developing light sensitivity. I need to clip additional shades to my already shaded moisture glasses when there is heavy sunlight.

Some other issues I have had:

Left eye pains – they were a big deal at first, really nasty immediate pains provoked by looking at computer screens, but also appeared spontaneously during night. Taking some anti-viral drops seemed to eradicate them but not completely. Sometimes (rarely) they appear along with left teeth pains. My teeth are said to be healthy. Before all this I had had left-ear – left-eye pains, but this pain combination passed.

Raynaud’s syndrome due to cold – I’ve had it for a long time. I was tested for Sjogren’s, but negatively. I haven’t had lip biopsy though, which is said to be a reliable test. I don’t have dry mouth.

Memory problems – started more than a year ago. I thought I was imagining or exaggerating it, but this has got pretty real. My learning ability is pretty good. I also scored maximum points in a simple memory test a doc gave me. However, I’ve had huge problems remembering, for example, when I took my eye drops recently, leaving food burning on the stove, and many other things.

I’m battling with demodex mites present on my face – around the nose and near the eyebrows. I’ve discovered them pretty recently, but I may have had them for a long time, since the redness resulting from them has been there for many years. I got my lashes tested and they don’t seem to be there. My eye lashes look a little weird though:
    https://postimg.org/image/k99nqhlfv/

Hi,

You could have some moisture chamber or any other types of glasses fitted by an optician with lenses that block blue light if the software / browser options that reduce blue light isn't enough. Some of these types of lenses also have a slight magnification added to the bottom of the lens, like with reading glasses.

http://www.essilor.pl/soczewki_okula...ny/EYEZEN.aspx

Polish opticians offering Essilor coating but I'm sure there are many others:
    https://www.facebook.com/optyk.optom...39988112911274

http://blutechlenses.com/

Demodex - Some have found Hypochlorous helpful to kill the bacteria that the mites feed on. I don't know if there is a hypochlorous solution in Poland but any that advertises that they're "pure Hypochlorous Acid" between 0.01 - 0.02% and no other eye irritants may help. Alternatively some like Ocusoft Plus lid wipes or tea tree oil lid wipes (e.g. Optase, Cliradex, etc.).

NatraSan First Aid Spray: 0.01-0.02% HOCI, salt and water (saline)
    BRIOTECH Topical Skin Spray: 0.02% HOCI, salt and electrolyzed water (saline)
    Heyedrate: HOCI 0.015%, salt and electrolyzed water (saline)
    Ocusoft Hypochlor: 0.02% HOCI and others
    Avenova: HOCI 0.01%, salt and water (saline)

Light sensitivity - I guess your doctor already did fluorescein dye test to check for epithelial defects / erosions / abrasions etc.? I don't know if they really work but some theorize that antioxidants like Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Astaxanthin work like biological sunscreen and may have other benefits for the eyes.
    Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Hi,

I have also experienced the same and had gone through all these. Later on, i realized all new problems arise due to side effects of drugs. Doctors are interested in prescribing lubricant drops and they make money. Try not to use any drugs, cut down on alcohol if you consume.

Of late, i am getting huge relief and seems my dry eyes got reversed. try this once.
      1. Get some pure natural turmeric powder. Boil a quarter spoon with a glass milk and a pinch of pepper powder. Drink this every night before sleep. Continue for atleast two weeks.
      2. Try drinking cucumber juice with a pinch of salt every day.
      3. Cut slices of cucumber and put on your eyes everyday for atleast 20 minutes.
      4. Restrict yourself from frequent using computer or mobiles.
      5.Go walking for 40 minutes daily. Do some exercise and make your body sweat.
      6. try to be away from Air conditioning. It really makes your eyes dry.

Hope you find some relief.
      Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

PhoenixEyes,
        Yes, I've been meaning to get such lenses, but it has not been on my priority list (perhaps wrongly) as far as my "eye expenses" go.
        I've read my share about demodex mites, and tea tree oil seems to be best way to go. There are some concerns about how to dilute it, and whether it would not be safer for an eye doc to do the scrubs. However, I've stopped relying on them. I will give tea tree oil diluted in hot water a try for now. As for the fluorescein dye test, I did have it, but I think it was before light sensitivity started.

Jaisontj,
        Indeed. I suspect part of the reason why my eyes have got worse has been using preservative containing drops which the doctors recommened. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to pass on the walking part. Being outside is not very comfortable to my eyes (to put it mildly).

Comment

Maybe you should continue to investigate on the auto immune side. That's what I'm planning to do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by hipokrytus View Post
            I've read my share about demodex mites, and tea tree oil seems to be best way to go. There are some concerns about how to dilute it, and whether it would not be safer for an eye doc to do the scrubs. However, I've stopped relying on them. I will give tea tree oil diluted in hot water a try for now.
            I would just get pre-made eyelid wipes with tea tree oil in them. Optase Tea Tree Preservative Free wipes are UK based but maybe you can import them or find something similar in your country.

http://www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk/optase-tto.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optase-Tree.../dp/B06Y2YWVT3

Originally posted by hipokrytus View Post
            Indeed. I suspect part of the reason why my eyes have got worse has been using preservative containing drops which the doctors recommened.
            Preservative free is definitely best. I like Hylo-Forte which is preservative free by design of the bottle.
            Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Working...
            X