Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye from computers

Hi everyone,
    I’m starting to really struggle with all this. I’m 28 years old and I guess I have had slight problems with dry eyes for a few years.
    I first really noticed it a couple of years back when I got my first office job, I would come home and my eyes would be burning and red. I only stayed at the job for a month and after that everything went back to normal and I didn’t think about it.

July last year I started my second office job. My eyes began to get sore again, but would always be ok again after sleeping. Things started to get a bit worse and I started using drops more often and using a warm compress when I got home. I also stopped watching the tv and using my phone after work and this seemed to help, I was still uncomfortable a lot of the time though.
    I then started to feel uncomfortable at the weekends as well. Where as before this never happend.

I would say things were bad for about a month before I quit my job, once I was in pain more than I wasn’t, I quickly realised something wasn’t right.

I pushed myself to stay in the job longer than I should have as I was trying to save up to go travelling in Asia and felt pressure from my mum and boyfriend to not leave before I have another job.

Well now I have no job, travelling feels a million miles away, plus I’m spending all my money on trying to fix this problem and my boyfriend wants to stop seeing each other for a while because he can’t cope with how I am at the moment.

I just feel so lost and it all feels very unfair, I know that sounds very self absorbed.

I went to see a dry eye doctor who told me I had MGD and I three weeks ago had lipiflow done. However I think I may be aqueous deficit as well, and I hear this is harder to treat. I feel like the lipiflow isn’t going to work if this is the case.

I don’t know. Sorry this is long, I just needed to rant I guess.
    I feel so tired of being in pain and not feeling like it’s ever going to stop and crying every time I see how red and horrible my eyes now are. I just need a bit of hope.

Yep it can be extremely difficult and, frankly, shit a lot of the time. Everyone here understands it and no one who hasn't suffered it really does (although they can still be sympathetic). It is a hard thing to explain well.

This stuff matters and you need to help yourself as much as possible, mentally and physically.

I suggest learning blinking exercises. If office job means increased computer use that means lowered blink rate, leading to less oil being secreted, leading to gland blockages (just one possibility but worth running with). Possibly less 'correct' blinking and weakened ocular muscles.. http://www.skyvisioncenters.com/blog...exercises-app/

If I never did conscious blinking I would be in a *bad* way. A lot of the time I can use it to get myself comfortable though.

Ideally, the exercises will lead to your subconscious blinking being improved.

Am interested to know why you think you have Aqueous Deficiency?

Comment

Hi
      Identify causes, do step by step might be a good start.

Last edited by MGD1701; 07-Jul-2018, 14:01.

Comment

Also interested to know where in the UK you are and who you've seen?

Comment

I’m currently based in Southampton, I went to a dry eye clinic in Poole called Classic eyes, which is where I had the lipiflow done.
          I also have an appointment next week at the dry eye clinic in London, to get another opinion and different treatment options.

This has only really been a problem for the last few months, so I want to do as much as I can early on to try and get the best results I can.

i was told glands are still there just blocked.

Comment

Hi everyone, I made the mistake of going on the popular drug for dry eyes, and little did I know, until it was too late that the drug causes severe dry mouth, which can have a huge negative effect upon your teeth. The drug was completely ineffective for me, but that wasn't obvious until I went off of it. Natural is the way to go, I use some exercises and start to eat more beta carotine, zeaxanthin and lutein, zink...
            Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
            Last edited by donzero; 16-Jul-2018, 11:38.

Comment

What popular drug might that be?

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                This guys trolling for that website I'd assume...since he has one post and is being non specific lol.

Comment

It was called Simple eye ointment, which I used at night before going to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

This guys trolling for that website I'd assume...since he has one post and is being non specific lol.
                    Lol I'm not trolling. I'm trying to convey that you can get over dry eyes naturally. Read more:

http://www.anthro.com/blog/2013/10/h...e#.W0znO9JKg2w
                    http://www.skyvisioncenters.com/blog...exercises-app/

Comment

donzero
                      Great that natural has worked for you but... we have a very wide range of people here with a lot of different systemic and ocular diseases. We all have different needs and for different reasons. Great to share what works for you. Not helpful to make pronouncements about what will work for anybody else though.

And... are you seriously saying that an eye ointment causes dry mouth? I don't think so.
                      Hi everyone, I made the mistake of going on the popular drug for dry eyes, and little did I know, until it was too late that the drug causes severe dry mouth, which can have a huge negative effect upon your teeth.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

It did cause dry mouth for me yes. There was nothing else I was taking or doing that could have caused it. A lot of medications cause dry mouth, so why is it surprising?

You're right though, I shouldn't say "natural" is the only way to go for dry eyes. I'm speaking only for myself. These days I also put a warm wet towel over my eyes every other day for a few minutes per my doctor's advice, which has further helped with dry eyes. No meds. Eye exercises and lots of omega 3 oils have also helped. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by donzero View Post

It was called Simple eye ointment, which I used at night before going to bed.
                          So now it begs the question; if it is the popular drug why have I, in 8 years of suffering dry eye, never heard of it.

Comment

I have come across simple eye ointment, but only because I was failing to get hold of lacrilube and this seemed to be the same thing!
                            I haven’t actually used it yet, as trying to not overload myself with different treatments, so can’t comment on the dry mouth issue!

Comment

So now it begs the question; if it is the popular drug why have I, in 8 years of suffering dry eye, never heard of it.
                              I guess if you hadn't heard of it, it doesn't exist right?

Just did a quick google search. So apparently I'm not the only one that experienced dry mouth with simple eye ointment: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/...-mouth--491170

Comment

Working...
                              X