Dry eye after PRK surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

This is NOT a cure for dry eye, that doesn’t mean you can’t feel better. What this can do is heal nerves, heal the ocular surface and keep everything functioning as best it can. It reduces pain sensations, most people using serum had a drastic reduction in their OSDI score...which means they felt better. I’ve been on serum about 6 months and I’ve had a huge change for the better. I’ll most likely use these drops until I die or a better option arises.

Ive heard some people coming off serum after a few years. I’ve also heard that to keep the nerves you regrew, you need to stay on serum forever. I’m assuming you would discuss this with your doc.
    I'm glad to hear it helps you, and it indeed seems to be a really great solution I will surely look into.
    If the serum would have proposed a permanent relief without the need to stay on serum forever, it could have been just awesome.
    Did you try to wean off and see what you feel?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

I'm glad to hear it helps you, and it indeed seems to be a really great solution I will surely look into.
      If the serum would have proposed a permanent relief without the need to stay on serum forever, it could have been just awesome.
      Did you try to wean off and see what you feel?
      Yeah, I cannot do that. When I wake up, my eyes are gritty like sand is in them. As soon as the serum hits my eyes, it takes away that gritty feeling and smoothed out the eye like a marble. It’s temporary, I have to reapply it, but a commercial eye drop would not help me feel that good. Not even close. Now that I make my own serum, I actually have tried mixing it with my oasis tears it’s so soothing that way. But I mainly prefer 100% undiluted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

Yeah, I cannot do that. When I wake up, my eyes are gritty like sand is in them. As soon as the serum hits my eyes, it takes away that gritty feeling and smoothed out the eye like a marble. It’s temporary, I have to reapply it, but a commercial eye drop would not help me feel that good. Not even close. Now that I make my own serum, I actually have tried mixing it with my oasis tears it’s so soothing that way. But I mainly prefer 100% undiluted.
        How many times a day do you apply the drops?
        Do they need to be refrigerated at all times? If so, how can you travel with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

How many times a day do you apply the drops?
          Do they need to be refrigerated at all times? If so, how can you travel with them?
          I apply them at minimum every two hours, but I try to apply them every hour if I’m at home. I travel with a few items. I have a refrigerator that’s big enough to hold six soda cans. I can plug it into my car, it keeps things cool when I drive long distances. I also have a small cooler that the size of a television remote control. It’s used for diabetics to hold insulin, but it holds two bottles of serum perfectly which is more than enough for me. When I fly, I take my scripts from my dr and I can pretty much use whatever I want to keep them cold. My steroids are preservative free and need to be cold also. And yes, they are similar to milk, you can’t let them get warm for too long or too frequently or it can spoil. That is definitely a drawback. I do hate that I have to keep them cold, but they offer so much relief I don’t really care.

Comment

Hi, I am 48, My both eyes operated with RK almost 30 years back and with cataract almost 3 years back. Suffering from dry eyes since many years and got sever dryness since last 2 years. As per doctor, tears retention is ok but oil glands may not be functioning correctly due to RK and I don’t have any choice but to deal with it with regular eye drops, which is not effective enough for me.

Any chance to improve my dryness condition?

Comment

Working...
            X