one year out and feeling better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one year out and feeling better

It's been a bit over one year since the cataract surgery on the right eye. I have gotten a handle on things. I know how much I can push and how much I will pay the next day. This condition has taken its toll on work. Although I work much less, I hardly go shopping. I spend a lot less money. I am continuing my volunteer work (it is self directed and goes at my own pace). The executive director and the rabbi of the synagogue encourage me to come to as many activities as I can muster. I practically live at the Community Center where I work out, use the computer, and hang out with the other retired folk.

Like most of us here, I rely on Dwelle and Datrina and a lot of rice baggy compresses. The pain is becoming more manageable. On good days I can go almost 15 hours without eyedrops. I dose heavily before I leave the house, carry eyedrops just in case, and hope for the best. I only need 8 hours of recoup time.

This week I drove for four hours on I-95 to visit my daughter and son-in-law. I did not think I would ever be able to do that again (I was hesitant before the surgery). I took short walks outside and stayed up late playing spider solitaire. I still cannot do research from books. Between the slight mismatch of the contact and the discomfort from the dry eye, it's difficult for me to critique what I am reading. I listen to a lot of books on tape.

I am looking forward to learning more about managing this awful condition. I hope the same goes for other people. For those who are having a tough time, hang in there. For those who are coming about, thanks for the support.

fernellen

Fernellen-it is so good to hear that things are a bit better and you are managing to live life in a way that is good for you. It sounds like you are coping quite well and I hope it only gets better.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

thank you Lucy

Thanks for your support. I still have the bad days and as you can see from a different post, I have cut my hours of work drastically. That is life.

Comment

Originally posted by fernellen
        Thanks for your support. I still have the bad days and as you can see from a different post, I have cut my hours of work drastically. That is life.
        Unfortunately, I agree: that IS life ... with this DES junk.

I, too, am glad that you're finding your way. You know how fashionistas might say that "gray is the new black?" I think--for many/most of us--"okay is the new fabulous." If you're doing okay, then ... IMHO ... you're doing pretty well.

May your progress be swift and steady and your bad days be few, far between, and a source of laughter a day or two after they've passed

Neil

Comment

Working...
        X