Another Dry Eye Victim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Dry Eye Victim

I've posted on other dry eye websites, so my name may be familiar.

Before lasik, I didn't wear contacts and since I was only a -2 in both eyes, I only wore my glasses when I needed them. But, glasses caused constant headaches. I didn't want to have lasik, but after years of headaches I decided to have only my left eye done.

My eyes didn't like contacts - they felt rough on the outside and the right one hurt. So, for lasik I thought it best to do only the left eye. But, the day of the surgery, I decided to have both done (other people do it, why not me?).

I had lasik, in Canada, in May, 2000. I was 20/20 the day after surgery. My eyes were dry, but after 6-8 months they weren't. But my right eye always felt like I had a little something in it, even with a schirmers of 25.

I was quite happy. My headaches were gone and I could see everything. I stayed that way for 1 1/2 years after the surgery. Then, my eyes started hurting and after four months of pain, I finally went to the doctor and found out my eyes went dry. The doctors have never been able to figure it out. I don't have sjorgren's syndrome or any other symptoms. Although, before I went dry, I was on antibiotics (three different times) for a severe sinus infection.

I think the combination of the sinus infection, lasik, and antibiotics made me make less tears. Before lasik, I was a 30 schirmers, then one year after lasik I was a 25 schirmers, now, who knows, I stopped taking schirmers.

I'm cauterized in my lower left and have two Herrick plugs in my right.

I have many tears in my right eye, but I still have more pain in that eye. I have the challasis in my eyes, especially my right, which I can feel. I've had the amniotic tissue resurfacing (only partially I found out), and will probably need to have the rest of the outer eye resurfaced, next year.

Like many others, I have two small children and it was extremely difficult to care for them and have the amount of pain, depression and anxiety I had. I cried constantly and had to put my children in daycare. May parents came to stay with use for a while. My children are now 5 and 10 and I don't really have the depression and anxiety anymore. So, life is better, but I only comfortable at home. I'm not as social as I used to be and air in stores is a killer.

Because of dry eye, I cannot hold a full-time, professional job like I used to. Now I am a part-time, office worker. I wear glasses that fit close to my face to protect my eyes. I also have to have a 1 hour rest every afternoon to bring down the irritation and start the day again. That has really helped because I have some muscle tightness on the right side of my face. Relaxation really helps me.

I also have extremely thick, heavy eyelids that cause more weight on my dry corneas. Many people in my family have had eyelid surgery for this, but it can cause dry eye, so that option is out for me.

I spend a lot more money now and I don't make as much money. I had no idea that this could be the outcome. I should have listened to my gut more. I never had any problems with my eyes, and now, that's all I think about. I was always very independent, outgoing, physically active person. Now I'm not, and that saddens me.

I have received so much tremendous support from many people on this website, especially Lucy, Cindy, and Dr. Holly. And, to all of the other lasik casualties who have brought their knowledge to these websites. I thank you all.

Chris

Chris, thanks for posting your story. You have, indeed, come a long way emotionally since your early days.

So sorry we've all had to go through this, but those of us in the great lakes state are lucky! We have a small, but tight group of us who have learned from each other, gotten strength from each other, whined to each other.

I don't think most people with our problems are this lucky! Thanks to Chris, Cindy, Pizzo, Mike, Matt and others who have participated with us.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
    X