Problem with eyelids at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with eyelids at night

My problem is at night my upper eyelids fold over while sleeping and cause my eyes to dryout completly. My wife and kids have confirmed seeing my lids foded back while I am sleeping. My doctor sugguested night-time ointment, which helps somewhat, but only if added several times a night. So my DES is being complicated by this nightly problem. Has anyone else heard of this?

Originally posted by SteveP
    My problem is at night my upper eyelids fold over while sleeping and cause my eyes to dryout completly. My wife and kids have confirmed seeing my lids foded back while I am sleeping. My doctor sugguested night-time ointment, which helps somewhat, but only if added several times a night. So my DES is being complicated by this nightly problem. Has anyone else heard of this?
    Hello SteveP,
    I found this in the Review of Optometry Handbook of Ocular Disease. Does this sound like what you experience?

Floppy Eyelid Syndrome

Treatment:
    Treatment for FES consists primarily of lubricating the ocular surface and safeguarding the eye from nocturnal damage. Isotonic artificial tears, used liberally throughout the day, help to eliminate mucous debris and promote corneal healing. In cases of moderate or profound epitheliopathy, consider more viscous lubricants such as Systane or Refresh Liquigel on a qid basis. At bedtime, the patient should instill either a bland ophthalmic ointment (e.g. Tears Naturale P.M.) or mild antibiotic ointment and apply a protective eye shield, or simply tape the lids in a closed position. Severe, recalcitrant cases that do not respond to primary therapy may require surgical intervention. Most commonly, this involves a lateral eyelid tightening procedure at the lateral canthus, or a horizontal lid shortening procedure by full-thickness resection of the lateral one-third of the lid margin.6 Lateral tarsorrhaphy has been suggested for noncompliant patients with severe disease.7

Scout

Comment

Working...
    X