Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misery of dry eyes

i am very glad i have found this place!

I think that my problems starting 4 or 5 years ago when i was working in a supermarket with a/c. i also got very sunburnt in the face one day and i feel as though my eyes got burnt too... i have no idea if this is true and can happen, but i feel as though my condition started then.

i've basically been using pharmacy drops, i have tried everything they sell including theratears, clear eyes, visine etc. i've tried lacrilube gel, which while giving immediate relief it tends to dry out due to my lack of tears and make the condition worse.

i will try anything to fix my eyes. i'm so tired of looking stoned/tired because of dry eye and am incredibly envious of people with perfectly white eyes

about 2 weeks ago my eyes got really bad, i felt i had an infection brought on by dry eyes and my eyes not being flushed out by tears. i went to my doctor who prescribed Fucithalmic for the infection and Polytears for my dry eyes. after 3 days my eyes were worse and i was concerned i was having a reaction to the Fucithalmic so went back. we both knew what i needed was Flucon which my ophthalmologist has prescribed on a different occasion, but he could not prescribe. he gave me Livostin in addition, as there were no other options. i booked in to see my ophthalmologist that day and it was going to be another 2 weeks before i could see him last night my eyes were so painful, i almost went to hospital. it felt like i had migraines in my eyeballs, or like someone was squeezing them in their fist and they were going to explode! thankfully today they are slightly better, but in desperation i rang the ophthalmologist and due to a cancellation they can see me tomorrow morning!

hopefully we can clear up my mystery infection and do something further to help my dry eyes. having this condition really has made me hate life at some times. being constantly aware of my eyes, background pain all the time, not being let into clubs when i'm out with my friends because the doorman thinks i'm drunk or high. i feel uncomfortable making eye contact with people because of my constant blinking and red eyes.

anyway, trying to think positively and hoping for a good outcome tomorrow!

Hi Ciaran and welcome!

Originally posted by Ciaran
    I think that my problems starting 4 or 5 years ago when i was working in a supermarket with a/c. i also got very sunburnt in the face one day and i feel as though my eyes got burnt too... i have no idea if this is true and can happen, but i feel as though my condition started then.
    Total shot in the dark here but this just reminded me of a recent news story about people whose eyes WERE 'burnt' - but by metal hallide lights whose protective covers were damaged, exposing them to dangerous UV rays. I corresponded with one of them and it was so worrying to read about this because they had no way of knowing what was happening. Probably irrelevant to YOU, but since it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd mention it. Some of these people experienced sunburn type things as well as eye damage.

i've basically been using pharmacy drops, i have tried everything they sell including theratears, clear eyes, visine etc. i've tried lacrilube gel, which while giving immediate relief it tends to dry out due to my lack of tears and make the condition worse.
    I hope you're not using vasoconstrictors... please look closely at the labels of the Clear Eyes and Visine products. If they talk about redness relief, then they are highly likely to exacerbate dry eye, especially if used regularly, both because of what they are and because of the harsh preservative (benzalkonium chloride) they contain. These products usually come with warnings to NOT use them regularly, but many people do not know about the risks they pose.

I understand the frustration of living with chronically red eyes. Can I suggest that while pursuing treatment for your various conditions you also read some of the materials on our site about underlying causes of dry eye
    and the variety of treatments - including safe, natural treatments - available? A good place to start would be the top two links at this page.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Ciaran, Just a quick note to welcome you and let you know YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! One day at a time! Hang in there, things will get better, keep researching, as Rebecca directed and read thru some of our posts! Take care! Judy

Comment

thank you for the replies and information.

unfortunately i had been using clear eyes etc for a while, not knowing they were doing as much damage as they were.

i did go back to the Ophthalmologist but i dont think i will go back to him. he didnt really listen to me and i told him what i thought i needed (Flucon) and he didnt really give me any feedback or information. the Flucon has not helped like it had previously and today i can barely look at my screen. i cant go out because my eyes are so sore

i'll read through as much of the site as i can and hopefully will find some answers

Comment

Working...
        X