Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dry eye story

Hello everyone,

I had LASIK just over three months ago now, and since that time have had what I'm told is DES in my right eye. After doing quite a bit of reading, I'm sure I had some dry eye before the surgery (discomfort while wearing contacts) but was never tested prior to the surgery.

Immediately after the surgery I was given refresh tears to use, with preservatives, which I used as directed. At my two week follow up I complained that my right eye was extremely bad at night, and was almost always bloodshot. They then recommended I use Bion Tears instead of the ones with preservatives, and lacri lube at night.

I have followed the treatment since that time, and at night, my eye isn’t quite as bad (I rarely wake up in pain due to dryness anymore). I seem to have good days where the "whites of my eye" is almost as white as my left eye, but other days it is extremely bloodshot. Over the last month I have had two instances where my eye got so bloodshot that you could no longer see any white, it was all red. It was bad like this for two days, and then within 4 days, is back to the new normal. Anyone else have anything like this?

The last case of this was three days ago. At that time I decided to switch from Bion to Thera tears. Anyone else have stories about more success with one brand of tears versus another?

Going through a lot of other peoples post, I know that there is no magic potion that will make everything OK again, but I hold out some hope that as my Doctor tells me, these things usually resolve themselves in 3-6 months.

I have become so self conscious of the way my eye looks, even calling in sick to work many many times over the past three months. When people ask what is wrong with my eye and I say I have dry eyes, most everyone says "that’s all"? It's amazing, because I never would have figured that dry eyes could be so debilitating either until experiencing it. To those of you who have it more severe then I do, my heart goes out to you.

Thanks for listening/reading

spepin..hang in there

My eyes are severely dry and yet almost never look bloodshot. Yet days like today, I just want to rip my eyeballs out of my head or just come home and go to bed. Then I may have 2 "tolerable" days and some days I might only use drops 3 or 4 times.

It probably will get better at the 6 month mark for you. Just keep using the tears and try to protect your eyes as much as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted, okay?

Natalie

Comment

Keep up with the drops

Hi spepin,

Keep going with the drops do non preservative, others with preservative, I've heard can dry out your eyes even more! Be careful with ointments, I'm not sure if you've seen the discussions regarding ointments on this site but it appears it can cause the glands to 'plug up' and can cause obliteration of the glands (that's just what I've heard here) I think using ointments has made my eyes worse...so I have stopped using them. Anyway hang in there, often eyes your eyes can be dry from this type of surgeryfor up to a year....good luck...
      Emma

Comment

Working...
      X