update - 5 weeks out from Lasik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update - 5 weeks out from Lasik

Had severe burning on Monday and now Surgeon says I have kerrititis or abrasions on cornea. He put me on Fluormethol .1% steroid drops 4x day for 2 weeks. Told me to start restasis again- I am! and to use only preservative free drops. I'm trying to only use Dakrina (I get so much goop in my eyelids with it, but I think it works) and some preservative free tears. It just seems I'm not getting better. Trying to stay positive.

Should I get really pro-active and see Dr Latkany in NY or stick with Dr Foulks. I'm hoping if I get going in the right direction asap, maybe I'll get lucky and not be chronic?

Chicken Little

I truly know how hard it is and how trying to function on a day to day basis is when dealing with severe dry eye. I was panic stricken with all the things I had going on at the time

But it's really going to take time and a lot of your attention. I don't think you can speed things up as much as I wish I could tell you differently The corneal nerves need time to regenerate (most surgeons will tell you 6 months but that does not mean you will be as bad for 6 months!!) and the most important thing is to keep you eyes as moist and comfortable as possible during the healing process.

What did your surgeon say other than your diagnosis?

I don't know when your appointment with Dr. Foulks is and I don't know anything about him so I will let others with more experience chime in here.

My heart truly goes out to you. Do your best to relax and know that people here truly understand how overwhelming this can be.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Natalie, Dr Foulks is on 2/13. I just can't take the pain. I put my moisture googles on and dakrina. But, my eyes still sting and burn all night. Not sure what to do to get relief. I took two Tylenol PM to just knock me out. I tried genteel gel, but it burned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chickenlittle View Post
        Thanks Natalie, Dr Foulks is on 2/13. I just can't take the pain. I put my moisture googles on and dakrina. But, my eyes still sting and burn all night. Not sure what to do to get relief. I took two Tylenol PM to just knock me out. I tried genteel gel, but it burned as well.
        I'm so sorry!!

For some short-term relief of the burning, my top suggestions would be saline rinses - get some Unisol and keep it in the fridge, but try not to use very often - and cold compresses?

I'd also hang in there with Dr. Foulks. I'd suggest sending a BRIEF fax the day before the appointment explaining the situation and asking if he can allot a little extra time with you.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I'll try the saline rinse. I've moved my appointment with Dr Foulks to this Monday 2/4. Hoping for some answers

Comment

Hi, CL.

I'm a patient of Dr. Foulks. He often does not have a lot of time. That office is truly crazy. I have found that when he has a bit of time, he is truly delightful. If not, it's a whirlwind type of a visit and you leave feeling frustrated. One thing he does give me is his attention via email. He always answers my questions, and even called in an Rx for an allergy issue I discussed with him via email.

Dr. Foulks is very involved in research. He seems to enjoy talking about it, and it's a way to slow him down. Dr. Holly recommended Dr. Foulks to me years ago, so I trust that he is well-respected and knowledgeable.

Since you are still so early in your post-LASIK journey, I would recommend staying with him for now. He does do blood serum drops if you decide to go that route. Give yourself some healing time, and if you feel the need to see Dr. Latkany then do it. It's always feels better to have something new in your bag of "tricks" as you proceed.

I can't say how sorry I am that you are burning. It infuriates me when people like you show up here. If I could have stopped you last month from going through with this I would have. But how do we stop this?!!

Lastly, I know all my chatter doesn't take away the burning. I had horrible, intolerable burning as well and it wears on the psyche making matters even worse. Consider using ice on your eyes when they are at their worst. Also, it might be time to visit a pain management doctor. I did do that, and we were in the process of trying out different drugs to keep my pain in check when...oops...I got pregnant. Also, pain docs tend to be very caring, understanding individuals with "left field" ideas. That's not a bad person to have on your side.

The discomfort I am in now isn't debilitating...just limiting. So fortunately I do not require meds to stay comfortable anymore.

In the meantime, keep the faith, best of luck, break a leg...all that stuff. We are here for you, and know things will improve for you. If you need to talk, send me a PM. Heck, we could meet at Dr. F's office and do lunch...
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
            X