update 6 weeks after lasik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update 6 weeks after lasik

I saw dr foulks in Louisville and he said I am early out and have denervation still. He believes I also have a form of neuropathy of the nerves due to inflammation. I have started the serum drops. They help with the burning, but I still have severe dry eye. I am on restasis, preservative free tears, and genteel gel at night. I am still getting SPK when my eyes get really dry. I bought myself two pairs of Harley's one regular and one tinted. I don't care how stupid I look as long as I feel better. Is SPK the same as an erosion?

Thanks for all support and feedback,
    Belinda

Hi Belinda,
    I understand the pure screaming hell of the first couple months after lasik. I know you are sick of hearing this - but things do get better with time. I'm now 6 months out of Lasik and beginning to feel relief. Restasis takes 3-6 MONTHS to kick in - for me it was 3 months. I'm also neuropathic in both eyes, - that heals as your eyes do. I remember thinking something was terribly wrong the first 3-4 months out of lasik - everyone else seemed to be back at work the next day, and here I was miserable and putting drops in my eyes every half hour. And you get the people who act like you chose the wrong doctor or are doing things wrong because their second cousin Tim had Lasik and was windsurfing two days later. I know it is impossible not to obsess about your eyes when they feel that bad - but if you have any relaxation techniques (meditation, yoga, listening to music) try to do that when you are at your most stressed.

Comment

Thanks for encouragement Kelley. I get so overwhelmed with the idea that this is permanent. My vision is blurry and it's so frustrating. If I go without drops at night or miss drops (I need every two hours) then I develop SPK which burns and I can't deal with it. There are at least ten people at work that I can name that have had lasik with no complications. I am mentally struggling so hard with this condition

Comment

I am so glad to hear post Lasik problems could go away

I had Corneal erosions for 3 weeks, though it was told it was just dry eye, and a tthe end of this time I was fitted with a bandage contact lens, ....which stuck like hell to my lid and eye ball.

Thanks to this site I was able to demand a tear plug, which I got. I also ordered a presription of Restatis, but for some reason I am reluctant to start on the drops, I think I am afraid to become dependent on something so unnatural and want to wait to try Dr. Holl's stuff first.

I have ordered all the products from the eye store, waiting to get started on these things.

I am also going to make an appointment for Dr. Dan Goodman in San Francisco, I say his name on this site, as my surgeon says he has never seen a case like mine before, by the way he is acting you would swear he has never heard of serious dry eye before, and he was keeping conreal erosions a secret to.

So for three days after the surgery my eyesite was great till the erosions started, and now it is blurry in my Lasik eye...does the improved eye sight return when the pain goes away.

Don't mean to be greedy but it would be nice to think that I am going through all this for something...

Thanks,

BErnadette

Comment

I am also going to make an appointment for Dr. Dan Goodman in San Francisco, I say his name on this site, as my surgeon says he has never seen a case like mine before, by the way he is acting you would swear he has never heard of serious dry eye before, and he was keeping conreal erosions a secret to.
          Unfortunately, Bernadette, many Lasik surgeons have the very same attitude. (I'm assuming this is the dr to whom you're referring.) I cannot believe how well you have stated this "white wall of silence." It's been that way for at least 9 years, and I'm sure even longer for some. Good call.
          Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I am stunned at how "hidden" the serioousness of this dry eye thing is, and I know from your posts you have suffered for a long time.

I feel it is my duty to tell everyone I know what "dry eye" really means, all those side effects/risks I signed...if they had added the words "for the rest of your life" I would have set up fairly quickly.

When I tell people what has happened they say I'm so sorry, I say I'm not looking for people to fell sorry for me, what I want is for them to tell others to prevent this happening again. I am glad to say that I have prevented my father and a friend from having the procedure. I have spoken to two strangers on the phone and given them the facts...as well as this sites address, but the marketing for this procedure is not working in my favor, too much good news, not enough bad, but I am going to do what I can do to change that in my little part of the world.

I have a friend of mine is making up a laminated sgn for me to put inside my car window which reads "Lasik, UNDERSTAND the risks" and one for my front door.

It is really important to get peoples attention...thats how things get done.

I don't know who runs the dry eye store section but if there was a bumper sticker for sale through it I would take ten for starters. I know this site is supposed to be for all types of dry eye sufferers, no matter what the cause, but when it comes to dry eye we are all in this together.

I have to laugh at myself, you'd swear I was about the lead a rally through the city, when infact I am on my couch on a Friday evening, eye taped shut with the humidifier going

Bernadette
            When Irish Eyes are Smiling

Comment

Bernmee, can you give us an update about your visit w/ Dan Goodman please? If he's good, I'm interested in giving him a visit. Thanks!

Comment

I sure will...but just to let you know that I had to wait 4 weeks for this appointment and I get the impression that was quick.

Also the receptionist who ansers sounds like she is surfing the internet....that is the reason I didn't have Lasik with this guy, might not have made any difference anyway!

Comment

Working...
                X