Pancreatic Cancer and Chemotherapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pancreatic Cancer and Chemotherapy

I am a Registered Nurse in advanced clinical practice. I am medically retired. In May 2007 I was diagnosed with Stage 4B advanced pancreatic cancer. There is no cure. I underwent intense chemotherapy from May 2007 to August 2007. The effects of the chemotherapy caused my dry eyes along with a host of other problems including dry, cracked toe and finger nails. I had to have a great toe nail removed. I have weak cartilage in my ears and have to sleep on a special pillow with a hole in the middle.
    The chemotherapy gave me low platelet and white blood counts permenantly. I have a pre-leukemia condition.
    The chemotherapy has been able to extend my life somewhat. I am on hospice care, but I get around fine and do not need oxygen. My dry eyes have gotten progressively worse in the last 3 months requiring ointment at bedtime and again during the night. I also need ointment twice daily along with frequent gels and drops. I just started Restasis. I had punctal plugs inserted last week-one fell out and the other got stuck partly below my punctal openning-and the doctor has been unable to remove it.
    My eyes constantly feel like something is in them. I also have a burning sensation. I cannot read for more than 30 minutes at a time.
    I am 59 years old.
    My name is Art and I live in Albuquerque New Mexico

Hello

Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer and all the terrible side effects you've had from the treatment. You've certainly been through the wringer.

Have you tried preservative-free drops? My eyes seem less irritated with those. Do your eyes get red and inflamed?

Comment

Yes

Yes, I am using preservative free drops/gels and those that say they are preservative free when they are in your eye.
      -Art

Comment

Hi, Art.

I, too, am sorry to hear about all of your ordeals since last year. You sound amazingly upbeat.

I, too, need gel at night. Dr. Holly's drops during the day help me a lot. I use Dwelle about five times each day, and over time, they have helped.

You might want to read around on the discussion board about how people use Dwelle. It might make nighttime dryness more bearable.

--Liz

Comment

interactions relevant

Hi, Art, and welcome. I second Liz56's recommendation that you check out various people's experiences with Dwelle, here, and would add only that there is some science available to support that the use of ointments, particularly those that are petrolatum based, may interfere with the ocular surface's ability to become and stay wet. I personally find that even gels like Genteal start me on a cycle of worsening symptoms, even though immediately on instilling the gel, there is a soothing sensation. . .Systane provides a gel matrix, but does not seem, at least in my case, to interfere as much with wetting. . .

Anyway, we have patient/consumer discussions on gels and ointments, here, and a section for dialogue with Dr. Frank Holly, which includes relevant information on gels and ointments.

If you opt to try Dwelle, you may want to tinker with frequency of use. I used to use it often throughout the day, but started to get lots better when I cut back to 2 or 3 times a day (with overnight mandatory). . .Sometimes less is more, even though the first day on less may be a challenge. . .In the long run, Dwelle (and its related product FreshKote) have TOTALLY changed my ocular surface function. . .

Finally: While you're waiting for the right drops to kick in, please pop on some protective eyewear, even while indoors. . .If you usually wear glasses, you can get clear fitovers or goggles, for example. . .Let us know if you want these, but can't readily find them . . .It's AMAZING how much comfort can be achieved through eyewear. . .
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Welcome, Art.

I'm so sorry to hear of your condition, but am so impressed by the tone of your post.

You might ask if you can have your tear ducts cauterized. It's a minor surgery which may or may not be appropriate in your condition. Still, it may help you achieve at least some level of comfort in light of the fact that plugs aren't staying in. You could see another doc who may be better at fitting a plug for you as well...

Should you proceed with cautery, you'll have to make sure that plug is totally out before doing this.

Please let us know what gels and ointments you are using. Any ointment with petrolatum is not good for your overall eye comfort. Be wary and definitely give Dwelle a try.

Best of luck to you, Art. It's good to have you here.

Diana
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hello AbqFriend--and neighbor------

I live just north of Albuquerque. Sorry to hear of your illness---the chemo really damages the tear glands. And it's dry and kind of polluted here which makes dry eyes even harder to deal with. Do you have a good ophthalmologist? I go to Dr. Himmel at Eye Associates (Lovelace Health Plan)---I like him because he has dry eyes himself, so it's not so hard to explain what it feels like.

I have Sjogren's Syndrome---dry eyes from that, and from too many years of wearing contact lenses. I wasn't able to use Restasis---but I'm doing better using Dwelle and Genteal Gel and TranquilEyes. After I got plugs and gave up contacts my eyes really improved.

In general, the ointments with petroleum jelly and/or mineral oil in them make dry eyes feel worse over time.

Plugs are weird things. I've had one tiny plug that has stayed in fine for almost a year, and the plug in the other eye has fallen out twice. Just my intuition, but I think it's good to wait a week or so after one falls out before getting a replacement. I noticed that right after a plug comes out the punctum is sort of loose and stretched----and so a new plug doesn't fit snugly right then.

Glad you found this site---it had really helped me.

Calli

Comment

Thanks for your messages and Ideas

Hi,
                Thanks for your messages and ideas. I do see an opthomologist at Eye Associates here in Albuquerque. He is the one who put my plugs in and now can't get one out. I also go to an optometrist here as well.
                I was considering getting a second opinion for another opthomologist about my worsening condition.
                I may give the drops you mention a try as well. I have ordered whole house humidification and have tried just about all the drops/gels available on the market. I am trying to avoid those with preservatives. I have also ordered a pain of onion goggles and will give them a try. The Panoptix glasses look great-but the price is very high. I will check out the other forum posts as well. Any other ideas or support is helpful. Just having terminal cancer is enough problems to have, but I am doing OK considering everything.
                I am happy for another day of life.!

Comment

Rebecca, our moderator has a free pair of Panoptx that you could probably still get hold of. Shoot her an email at rebecca@dryeyezone.com or post a private message to her here.

Comment

Onion Goggles

I just got my onion goggles in the mail today and they do not fit my face. I guess my face is too large. I may email Rebecca as you suggest.

Comment

Art,

Be sure an give her a try. I know the one frame she had was for smaller faces, but she may have another option.

Diana

Comment

goggles

Art,

you may find that Wesco safety goggles fit you better. I got some from the U.S. ebay - just do a search on "fit over safety glasses" and there's a guy called Al whose shop is called wesco-safety. They're quite cheap, and fit over my prescription glasses, so I'm sure they'll fit your face.

good luck
                        Eva

Comment

Thanks Eva

Thanks Eva
                          I will try what you suggest.
                          Any help is greatly appreciated.
                          -Art

Comment

How are you doing, AbqFriend?

I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are doing. I hope you are finding a way to get some relief from the dry eye issues, either through eyewear/goggles, Dr. Holly's drops, or other means. Please pop in and give us an update if you have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Maenad1 View Post
                              I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are doing. I hope you are finding a way to get some relief from the dry eye issues, either through eyewear/goggles, Dr. Holly's drops, or other means. Please pop in and give us an update if you have a chance.
                              Same here, Art! Do keep us posted on how you are doing!

--Liz

Comment

Working...
                              X