Joan's Dry Eye/Rosacea Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joan's Dry Eye/Rosacea Story

My optometrist diagnosed me in late July 2008 with chronic dry eye and all it's associated conditions---blepharitis, Meibomian gland dysfunction, nocturnal lagophthalmos, computer vision syndrome, allergies---and looking at my face and eyes after that I was 99% sure I have Ocular and facial rosacea.

Just before this, I discovered I have a thyroid tumor also, scans on it etc every 6 months. Actually after the thyroid biopsy, EVERYTHING flared up 100% worse.

After the above diagnoses, I made appointments with an ophthalmologist and a dermatologist and they agreed with all the above--and I do have the Ocular and facial Rosacea.

As of now, I am using Dwelle drops A.M. and P.M. and sometimes in the middle when not wearing contacts.

I use Nutratear daily when not wearing contacts, Refresh contact drops while they are in.

On a positive note -- the ophthalmologist didn't argue with me about the Dwelle or Nutratear drops. She started to say something and I told her I tried Systane and did not like it and these drops felt good---and she shut up.

I do a nightly heat pack followed by the Ocusoft eyelid cleanse. That seems to make the spots on eyelids and the bumps in my eyebrows redder sometimes, but I was told it was necessary.

I use a cold pack as needed.

I am doing Omega 3 supplementation, and trying to get in my water.

I got the Wiley-X moisture control sunglasses and some Guard Dog moisture control goggles (for yard work) My glasses needed changing, I got prescription reading glasses too, and contacts, then all this other stuff. $$$$

The ophthalmologist added AzaSite to the above list, daily for one week, then twice a week after that and a return visit in 3 months.

The dermatologist added Minocycline 100 mg twice daily, 6 months refills, return visit with blood work in three months because I like a few beers daily. Also added Plexion daily followed by Cetaphil or gentle cleanser of choice, then moisturize.

I am guessing my skin is going to look much worse than it does now, before it gets better??? I already don't leave the house except for taking Mom places, stuff I HAVE to do and Curves---and I haven't gone to Curves lately, I have just felt bad with all this.

So sounds like three antibiotics to me. I get sick in the winter a lot. Killing off good bacteria too doesn't sound like a fun winter. I guess I can look forward to lots of plain yogurt and Live Active cheese!! Also, due the the thyroid stuff, it is already hard for me to lose weight even when I am doing good as in daily workouts and so on......add yeast to the equation and maybe I should just bury myself in my room and forget all this.

Make-up.....I haven't tried any of this yet, but I broke down and bought the Bare Minerals Medium start up kit from Sephora, and the new Maybelline Liquid Mineral Power foundation and compact mineral powder. Also bought to try--the new Loreal Bare Naturale Mascara and the Loreal DoubleExtend Mascara that puts the tubes on your lashes. I won't put it all the way to the base of my lashes till the eye stuff gets manageable, but I also won't go out where I am face to face without mascara---and I will remove it quickly when I get home. This is getting expensive---can 't afford it, but can't not afford it either.

I am very depressed about all this. I also try to put it in perspective, it could be something a lot worse. It does rule my world right now though.

History---

I am 54 years old. I have worn contacts for 25 years. ALWAYS had trouble with red eyes. NOT ONCE did any optometrist or ophthalmologist test me for dry eye or anything. About three years ago, I started waking up with my eyes glued shut. All the docs did was give me allergy pills/drops. Around 5 years ago I noticed a little scabby place under my eyebrow on right side. It has gradually expanded to a large red triangular shape. Again, no one suggested I had anything, so I thought sun damage and had planned a dermatologist trip that kept getting postponed.

Right after my July 2007 eye exam, things started getting worse, but due to money and insurance only paying every other year I didn't go again till July 2008. I did not see any of my regular eye docs this time. There was a doc from another town there, working extra hours on his days off from his own practice, and HE diagnosed me.

Also said something about veins growing into my cornea and that I will probably need cataract surgery in a few years.

I ramble a lot, hope someone can make some sense from this post.

Joan

Hi and welcome to the site!

There is alot in your post, and as a rosacea sufferer/MGD sufferer I can relate to that part of your post.

There seems to be some discussion on the use of hot compresses and rosacea. Therefore I keep them barely warm, it cools down after a couple of minutes so I warm it up again. I do my massages and "scrubs" really gently. I do this three times a day...but gently.

As for the beers...I think you may have to rethink that one. If you suffer from Rosacea my understanding is that alcohol triggers it. I am on a very strict low sugar, no alcohol, no meat, no processed food diet. basically I have cut out anything that causes inflammation.

I to am on Doxy...but 50mg once a day. I came of the pill and got a couple of hormonal spots but I didn't see my skin getting any owrse. I think the Doxy is supposed to help with the redness, I'm not sure if it is any less red because of the Doxy....lets just say its not even in term of redness but its not red either.

As for the drops you are using. I was told that you shouldn't use anything that has a preservative in it more then once every 4 hours. I was using Systane pres. free drops but hated how they felt, and changed to Refresh pres. free and love them. Try different drops before you give up on them. I use them as often as I remember, probably once every two hours or so. I use Dwelle twice a day and Genteal Gel at night.

I also use that makeup, but don't put anything on my eyes, I really don't want to bother them any more. In time I will but I want to give them a nice long break as my one Lasik eye has being having a hard time since surgery.

I'm not sure about wearing the contacts...I don't need to waer them and wouldn't put them in my eye if I needed to wear them. However this is just a personal thing, you could get more feedback from those who wear them or need to wear them.

Sorry I can't help you with the rest of the post!

Keep well,

Bernadette
    Last edited by bernmee; 25-Oct-2008, 12:22. Reason: More info

Comment

Bernadette, Thanks for your reply! Sorry it took me so long to get back. I put my replies in bold underline between your quoted text below. Hope it makes sense to do it that way. Joan

Originally posted by bernmee View Post
      Hi and welcome to the site!

There is alot in your post, and as a rosacea sufferer/MGD sufferer I can relate to that part of your post.

There seems to be some discussion on the use of hot compresses and rosacea. Therefore I keep them barely warm, it cools down after a couple of minutes so I warm it up again. I do my massages and "scrubs" really gently. I do this three times a day...but gently.

Thank you, I am trying to do them very gently. Some days I use the scrubs lightly, some days I just do it in the shower.

As for the beers...I think you may have to rethink that one. If you suffer from Rosacea my understanding is that alcohol triggers it. I am on a very strict low sugar, no alcohol, no meat, no processed food diet. basically I have cut out anything that causes inflammation.

I drink 64 calorie light low carb 2.4 alcohol beer and not too many usually. Have had no problems there. The worst flare-up was after eating fresh tomato's. I think different things trigger it in different people. I also have a problem if I get over-heated, or if I go from cold temps to hot temps too quickly, that will even make me physically ill.

I to am on Doxy...but 50mg once a day. I came of the pill and got a couple of hormonal spots but I didn't see my skin getting any owrse. I think the Doxy is supposed to help with the redness, I'm not sure if it is any less red because of the Doxy....lets just say its not even in term of redness but its not red either.

The minocycline---after three days of 100 mg twice a day I was feeling awful, nauseous, headache, a few purple bruise spots on my arms, heart beat felt speedy----I quit them for 5 days and then started back with just 100 mg a day and so far so good.

The Azasite feels good when I am using it. This is the second week and this week it is just twice a week--so doesn't feel as good as last week when it was every night.

The really bad part is that with the economy the way it is I probably won't even get to go back for my follow up in three months, so it just all seems hopeless. We will be lucky to still have our home in three months.

As for the drops you are using. I was told that you shouldn't use anything that has a preservative in it more then once every 4 hours. I was using Systane pres. free drops but hated how they felt, and changed to Refresh pres. free and love them. Try different drops before you give up on them. I use them as often as I remember, probably once every two hours or so. I use Dwelle twice a day and Genteal Gel at night.

I also use that makeup, but don't put anything on my eyes, I really don't want to bother them any more. In time I will but I want to give them a nice long break as my one Lasik eye has being having a hard time since surgery.

I haven't tried the makeup yet--haven't been out of the house much. I will probably only put it on the upper lids till things are better. I am leary of anything too close to the actual eye right now also.

Went out to vote this morning and it was in an OLD school, so that was terrible--then add the close quarters with everyone and the different perfumes and stuff---I was there 2 hours and miserable when I got home. This is really something to cope with.

I'm not sure about wearing the contacts...I don't need to waer them and wouldn't put them in my eye if I needed to wear them. However this is just a personal thing, you could get more feedback from those who wear them or need to wear them.

Sorry I can't help you with the rest of the post!

Keep well,

Bernadette

Comment

I must say that after switching to 1/2 my prescribed dose of minocycline I am still keeping a headache. That was one of the things I was told to watch out for. I told the doc I had been keeping a headache already so how was I to tell the difference, and he didn't have an answer.

My eyes give me headaches, my neck/shoulder arthritis gives me headaches, grinding my teeth give me a headache, allergies......how do I know what to do?? The headache worries me. I can't go back to the doc at least till the 3 month check if then, there is NO money now.

My rant for today!

Comment

Working...
        X