Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Met someone with post-lasik DES this past weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met someone with post-lasik DES this past weekend!

I was in a big 200 boat bass fishing tournament on the Texas/Mexico border this past weekend. My partner the second day (random pairing) mentioned right off the bat that he couldn't see very well in the dark (it was early) because he had lasik a month ago and his eyes were still adjusting. Unless its really hot out, I wear my snowboarding goggles when riding in bassboats, theres a lot of wind. Much to my surprise as we take off, this guy pulls out goggles as well. I asked him if he had dry eyes and he said "ya, howd you know?". So I told him some of my story. He said he has to use eye drops all the time. According to him, his doctor is optimistic about improving. He has bad glare problems at night as well. I tried to be as positive as I could. At the end of the day I told him about this site and said he should check it out if he continues to have problems. I also told him to ask his doctor about punctal plugs, so hopefully he got something from me and hopefully his symptoms subside with time.

Anyways, thats really the first random person I've ever run into with DES, even if it was only a month old. It was interesting nonetheless, as it was while doing what I love to do.

Daren

Good story. A couple months ago, I met someone with ocular rosacea induced DES. It was at my work...a couple floors up, I was in the bathroom, putting in Dwelle and this woman at the sink next to me asked me what I was doing. It turns out she has ocular rosacea and was just told my her doc to use PF drops. She had never heard of minocycline or warm compresses or Dwelle. I directed her to this site. THat was the first time I had ever met anyone in person with DES. We had a discussion in the bathroom and she said I was the first person she'd talk to that understood why she could no longer drive and why it is so hard for her to open her eyes in the morning. I also told her about tranquileyes. Makes me wonder how people out there are suffering without any information...

Comment

Bass and odydnas, thanks for sharing those stories! In Daren's case, it's a wonder the man even bothered to mention anything "wrong." So often, patients are just not willing to admit any problem. Let's hope both people referenced get better.

Hey, Bass, how'd you do in the tournament?

Lucy, from the home town of Kevin VanDam.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        Hey, Bass, how'd you do in the tournament?

Lucy, from the home town of Kevin VanDam.
        Hey Lucy

Ya, I'll never forget you're from Kalamazoo! I bet its nice and chilly up there right now. I don't really miss the Syracuse weather at all since I moved down here, gonna be like 71 today and 78 tomorrow.

I finished 39th out of 203 boats. Not great, but not terrible. Covered most of my expenses as it paid out down to 50th place anyways.

I dont really think the guy thought that there was anything truely wrong with him, he sounded like that was the norm to have a few months to readjust. I never questioned it.

Daren

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
          Makes me wonder how people out there are suffering without any information...
          I think that a lot. Im the type of person that researches stuff to death, but I imagine the vast majority of DES patients know nothing about it other than what their opthamologist tells them. Add that to how most opthamologists (my experience) don't know much and don't seem to care to know much and its a wonder people are able to cope. One more reason sites like this are lifesavers!

Daren

Comment

Working...
          X