Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eyes go from great to terrible in a day...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes go from great to terrible in a day...?

Hey guys first time post here, but a long time reader. I've had dry eyes for around 7 years now, and I'm only 20. I had lasik surgery 2 years ago, and my eyes are getting a little better. I've been using redness reliever eyedrops with BAK for years, and just stopped using them last month because of what I've read what they can do, and because I started using Freshkote(which are amazing IMO). But I still have problems. Just recently my eyes have been feeling great and were white, but around 4 days ago, my eyes have gone to crap. They dont really feel bad, but they are just red and are more sensitive then normal. This isn't the only time its happened, it happened a couple of months ago, and I had to get steroid drop eyes because my eyes were inflammed. Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know a reason for eyes being great for a month then become terrible in one day? Thanks for all the great info that has led to my eyes being much better!

P.S. Just to note my eyes are probably the best they've been in years, mainly because I've stopped using Bak eyedrops, and discovered Freshkote.

Wow, it's so sad that many of your problems were due eto a preservative in drops meant to help that very problem it caused. I'm so sorry. I'm also very young (18). As far as the redness issue is concerned, I'm not sure, just don't use any redness reducer. I would suggest to use maybe systane for the lubrication, but it is good to know you're doing better.

Comment

Just wanted to update and say that my eyes are still feeling very dry and are red for some dang reason. They felt great 2 weeks ago and now just have gone to hell. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try to get them out of this dry spell?

Comment

Mine are always up and down, I can have a good 'week' (or day) where the irritation seems much less and then get slammed with a bad week or weeks.
        just keep swimming...

Comment

I am having the same issue , even after being cauterized x2, I can only attribute it to running the heat and drinking less water. Try a humidifier by your bed if you think this may be an issue. Just a note about freshkote- when I used it I actually developed blepharitis(can lead to dryness) due to the stickiness of the drop. If I ever go back on freshkote I will constantly use warm compresses to keep my lids clear and unstuck.

Comment

Hmm yeah I might need to start doing more warm compresses. What I do when I use my freshkote is get some water and just run it over my eye lids, but I'm not sure how safe that could be.

It seems like my eyes are more red around my corneas. Last time this happened to me my eye doctor told me that the quality of my tears were bad, so he told me to try and use sterilid and thera tears omega-3 supplements, but he also gave me some steroid eye drops for the inflammation. Just curious, but what is a good way some of you have had with getting rid of redness? Cold compresses, or warm compresses? Should I possibly look into buying a humidifier or maybe tranquileyes?

p.s. I've got a job at a call center about 5 weeks ago and i've been working on computers pretty much for around 8 hours a day but I'm not constantly looking at the screen, just about 10 mins then look away for awhile. My eyes haven't been bad but for around 2 weeks so i'm not sure if that could be causing it or what.

Comment

There's lots of things can make the dry eye worse.
              Using computer, low humidty, got bacteria inflame unlucky when washing/bashing, dry when sleeping, your eye drops changed bad, warm compress too hot.

I stop hot compress as not much help but sometime I hurt my eye. Got yellow matter coming out at wake up next day and the corner/eye lid have some pain...so dangerous

Also my eye change form great at morning, to bad after sunset and terrible at night...

But if you know you have bacteria inflammation, must visit doctor. Others can use rest to recover.

Comment

i used to use redness reliever drops, too... as frustrating as it was to find out all the crap that they actually cause, the longer you go without using them from now on the better you'll be.

my dry eye tends to vary throughout the day, too. for some reason, i feel like whenever i have something stressful to deal with, my eyes suddenly get much worse, and when things become more relaxed, they get better. less tv, less computer, and less bright florescent lighting really helps too, although i am usually on the computer way too much each day.
                -Amy

Comment

Lol yeah tell me about it Amy I freakin work at a Call center where there's nothing but florescent lights and staring at the computer screen.. But the thing is that my eye lids do look much more red then normal and when I pull my eyelids down my eyes are very red but when I pull my top eyelids up my eyes are white in that area.. Any one know a reason for that?..But I'm not sure if I have blepharitis or what. It just seems like my eyes have been constantly red, no matter if I get 8 hours of sleep or 2... A few weeks ago if I didn't get much sleep they would be bad, but if I got around 8 hours my eyes were perfect, now nothing is helping them. I did get into a habit of smoking, but I'm going to quit that. But I'm going to go ahead and make an appointment for my doctor again to see what he thinks is causing it this time, I just hope I can break this stupid cycle of my eyes going to crap. I'll keep yall updated on what he says!

P.S. Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that the start of last semester around August was the first time I started experiencing my eyes go really bad in awhile. But another problem also occurred, I've been getting constant acne like I've NEVER in my life have got. It's like I can't get them to go away, and I'm only 20. Wonder if there could be a connection? I bet not, I'm just going crazy probably lol. Just figured I'd throw it out there to see what people think!
                  Last edited by mattb25; 29-Jan-2009, 01:05.

Comment

Originally posted by mattb25 View Post
                    Lol yeah tell me about it Amy I freakin work at a Call center where there's nothing but florescent lights and staring at the computer screen.. But the thing is that my eye lids do look much more red then normal and when I pull my eyelids down my eyes are very red but when I pull my top eyelids up my eyes are white in that area.. Any one know a reason for that?..But I'm not sure if I have blepharitis or what. It just seems like my eyes have been constantly red, no matter if I get 8 hours of sleep or 2... A few weeks ago if I didn't get much sleep they would be bad, but if I got around 8 hours my eyes were perfect, now nothing is helping them. I did get into a habit of smoking, but I'm going to quit that. But I'm going to go ahead and make an appointment for my doctor again to see what he thinks is causing it this time, I just hope I can break this stupid cycle of my eyes going to crap. I'll keep yall updated on what he says!

P.S. Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that the start of last semester around August was the first time I started experiencing my eyes go really bad in awhile. But another problem also occurred, I've been getting constant acne like I've NEVER in my life have got. It's like I can't get them to go away, and I'm only 20. Wonder if there could be a connection? I bet not, I'm just going crazy probably lol. Just figured I'd throw it out there to see what people think!
                    Read about the connection of blepharitis (imflammation and "dandruff" on eyelids) and rosacea (a skin condition that can lead to red cheeks and bad acne). You can have rosacea that also affects your eyes and causes blepharitis, which can then lead to worse dry eyes....never ending cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X