steroid eye drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steroid eye drops

I was on a steriod eye drop for about two weeks back in February, and I remember my eyes feeling a tons better when I was on them.

What exactly are the steroid eye drops for? From what I understand, they are used to get the inflamation problem under control. I know they can cause Glaucoma because of the added eye pressure, but if one of the fundamental problems in dry eyes is inflammation, then why hasn't any docotr suggested me getting back on these drops?

Steroid eye drops are used to control inflammation. They are not intended to treat infection. If your doctor has not suggested them to you why not ask him for them again. You have to be pro active, under doctor supervision of course. It is true that steroids have been linked with glaucoma and increased intra-ocular pressure, but there is a new steroid called Lotemax which you should check out on the web and ask your doctor about. You can take the stuff for months. It comes in two strengths Lotemax and Alrex. It is totally different to normal steroids because once it has done its stuff it becomes inactive and will not linger around in your eye causing all the problems. It has been around for three years and has an excelllent saftety profile, check it out.

www.bausch.com/us/resource/pharma/lotemax.jsp
    http://www.bausch.com/us/resource/ph...p?nav=pharmapd

http://www.optometric.com/article.as...bl\0205bl1.htm

http://www.ophmanagement.com/article...bl\0905bl4.htm

Comment

You said that the steriods are supposed to control inflammation. Is this the same kind of thing that the Restasis is supposed to do over time? I have not tried steriods yet, and they have not even been mentioned by my docs. I never asked because I thought they were risky. Thanks for the information on the Lotemax though.

Michelle

Comment

Lotemax and Alrex

Lotemax and Alrex are brand names of the same drug (loteprednol etabonate).

Warnings and precautions: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/lotemax_wcp.htm
        Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by markL
          It is true that steroids have been linked with glaucoma and increased intra-ocular pressure, but there is a new steroid called Lotemax which you should check out on the web and ask your doctor about. You can take the stuff for months.
          Mark, your posts are always quite well-informed. I was wondering if you have a medical background?

Just FYI, I can tell you from a personal experience that continued use of Lotemax for a month or more can lead to significantly elevated IOP. I don't trust any steroid, and IOP still needs to be monitored if the medication is to be used for more than two weeks.

DrG

Comment

I do not have a medical background. I am just intersted in dry eye. Sorry, forgot to mention the need for doctor supervision whilst on steroids. Having read a few medical journal articles on Lotemax and going by what is said on the B&L website I was under the impression it had an excellent safety profile and was unique amongst steroids. But as always whats good on paper does not always translate to the real world. Its great to have a real doctor on this site, and much appreciated.

Comment

I also had bad experience with Alrex in that it caused a huge elevation in IOP in less than two weeks. Some folks are "steroid responders" and may have this reaction, even to a so-called "safe" steroid. While the majority of folks will have no reaction, there is a small percentage of us that simply cannot use these drugs without an elevation in IOP(intra-ocular pressure). There are alternative medications for those of us who cannot use steroids, but nothing feels as good as a steroid when it comes to inflammation! Darn!

Comment

Working...
              X