Hello, it's me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave,

Punctal plugs are your best bet. But, I also got the lower ones plugged and they did very little. Then, I eventually took the plunge and got quadraplugged and now I have over-flow problems. The dry eye is cured but my eyes are too wet. I am hoping this will go away with time but it sure is better than the dryness.

A few things though. Don't go for any plugs that are not silicone. My ones are temporary silicone ones (don't know the name but I know they are silicone). I have heard bad things on here about the other ones like they fall out after days. Secondly, get a good doctor to put them in. It isn't a complicated proceedure and it should not hurt you but you want to get the right size. Mine are size 6 in both eyes.

Finally, forget about drops and all that cr*p. Trust me! Plugs are the way to go. I used to take the Genteel gel also and it is about the best thing out there but it is like putting a band-aid on a cut and not treating the broken arm. You don't want relief. You want a SOLUTION to your problem. I believe that plugs have given me one but only time will tell. If they have, I will get cauterized.

Danny

Comment

Danny, its good to hear that some people do achieve good results with plugs - generally you only hear about the problems with them (as with most things)

This overflow - how much of a problem is it?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieD
        Danny, its good to hear that some people do achieve good results with plugs - generally you only hear about the problems with them (as with most things)

This overflow - how much of a problem is it?
        When you go outside, it is a problem, especially if it is windy. I always wear sun glasses nowadays. But, I think that physical activity also produces more tears. If you spend most of your day like me looking at a computer, it isn't a problem. The short answer is that you have to find out for yourself. It is very easy to have the plug removed (only takes a few mins) and I did so when I went to Spain for 2 weeks. I left one eye (the dryer one) double pluged and only had a lower in my right eye. That worked fine when I did not have to stare at a computer but when I returned to work, I realized that I needed them quadra-pluged.

I definitely recommend that you try this though as the gels etc only ever gave me a bit of relief and this is potentially a solution for me. If there was just an in between between having them quadruplugged and double pluged, it would be perfect. I will keep you posted as to how I am getting on though. If you do have severe dry eye, get the bottom ones plugged immediately. That might be enough for you. Don't waste your time on drops and other stuff. Just go do it.

Edit: One last thing. My insurance covers the cost of everything. I just have to make a copay of 15 dollars. But if your insurance doesn't cover it, it could be very expensive from what I am hearing.

Comment

Working...
        X