This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal plugs

For those of you who are hesitant to try punctal plugs, you will probably be happy you did. I have found that you get instant blessed relief. It is a painless procedure. There is always a possibility that they might pop out. No big deal. Go back to your eye doctor and get them inserted again. Dry eyes can really drive you crazy -- I know!

Originally posted by vicki1778 View Post
    For those of you who are hesitant to try punctal plugs, you will probably be happy you did. I have found that you get instant blessed relief. It is a painless procedure. There is always a possibility that they might pop out. No big deal. Go back to your eye doctor and get them inserted again. Dry eyes can really drive you crazy -- I know!
    Hi!
    I have had dry eyes for two years and suffer a lot. I'm extremely light sensitive too. Were you light sensitive and did the plugs help reducing that for you? Are you still really dry in the mornings?
    Grateful for a reply!
    Anna from Sweden

Comment

punctal plugs

I agree with this post.
      i've had severe dry eye for 25 years. it's become increasingly painful as i've gotten older and they've gotten dryer.
      i had plugs put in lower, used restasis..it didn't help at all. i just don't make enough tears. then i had them put in my upper as well and now my eyes are almost always moist (some times a little too much but that's a problem i'm more than happy to live with).
      I've had them now (upper & lower) for about 6 weeks and it's given me a lot of relief.
      if you have severe dry eye they're really worth trying. it takes only a minute for the doctor to put them in. if for some reason you aren't getting relief you can have them taken out.
      betty

it's really

Comment

I just got lower plugs in 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had/am still using Restasis for 3 months but didn't noticed much improvement so the ophthalmologist suggested the plugs. I have extremely dry eyes and am very light sensitive, instant headaches on anything other than cloudy days. The light of computer monitors gives me headaches too. I have Sjogren's and Fibromyalgia which both cause dye eyes. My plugs took a little longer and were kind of painful to put in because the ophthalmologist had trouble fitting them in and had to dilate my holes more than usual. It felt like a slight stabbing but only lasted a short time. I still don’t have much moisture and use drops all day, so am going to ask about having the upper ones put in when I go in for a follow-up in a few weeks. They haven't helped at all with light sensitivity.
        Last edited by Christie; 10-May-2009, 19:26.

Comment

Just to give people a heads up. The plugs are super easy to install.

But keep in mind they are expensive. Mine are removable late in life and cost me $340 out of pocket with insurance covering the rest. The doctor didn't tell me this until I got a bill a month later. They really need to give people a heads up.

I was shocked. Sure it was worth it, but I feel fortunate to afford something like that. I have been in a place in my life where that would be a huge lump sum of money for me to handle.

Comment

Wow yours cost a lot. I was told (thankfully I asked) if I got them with my regular VSP optometrist they are not covered and would cost $100 but if I went through Kaiser they are free. I went through Kaiser's ophthalmology dept. and saved the $100. I just wish they were helping me more.

Comment

punctal plugs

hi all
              i feel the same way.
              my eyes were so dry that it was painful and destroyed my quality of life.
              about 2 months ago i had them put in both upper & lower and it's been so much more comfortable for me.
              i wish now that i had known about it years ago but at any rate, i'm glad now that i have them.
              yes..one fell out..and was put back in.
              if they keep falling out i would consider cauterization.
              betty

Comment

punctal plugs & light sensitiviey

i was also very sensitive to the light and my dr explained that it was mainly because of the dry eye. if they're very dry (and mine are) then the cornea doesn't have the smooth glass-like surface it should have and that intensifies the light...plugs will help with that. they're not a cure but they help a lot
                betty

Originally posted by annamarg View Post
                Hi!
                I have had dry eyes for two years and suffer a lot. I'm extremely light sensitive too. Were you light sensitive and did the plugs help reducing that for you? Are you still really dry in the mornings?
                Grateful for a reply!
                Anna from Sweden

Comment

I'm glad you found relief with your plugs. Keep in mind there are many different causes of dry eye, and because of that, plugs don't work for everyone- me included. By all means give them a try if your doc recommends them, but don't be afraid to have them removed if they are causing more harm than good.
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Is it normal to have pain in the punctal area after having plugs put in?

Comment

I'm pleased the plugs work so well for some of you. Unfortunately for me, they didn't, and in fact made me feel even more uncomfortable for about a week after, and hasn't made any difference generally. In fact, when my eye is in certain positions, they feel as if there is grit in them, and that's only since I had them put in, but, as this is such an individual thing, it's very different for everybody. I guess in the UK, we are so lucky to have the NHS, although many would disagree I guess, and my plugs were fitted free.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
                        I was sore for about 3 days after I had them put in. I noticed them a lot too, I could feel them poking my eye. It got better after a while though, and the pain does go away. I just took some advil and that seemed to help.

My plugs are helping I think. Although they itch sometimes and once in a while they seem to be poking me. But when I use eye drops they feel better. I think my allergies cause a lot of discomfort with them. My Dr. seems to think they are helping me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
                          Hi Aaron

I had terrible pain after the top plugs were put in. I already had them in the bottom puncta and although I recall them hurting for a short while afterwards, it was nothing in comparison with the top.

My left eye has always been the worst one and it was the top left puncta that gave me grief initially. A few days after they were put in, I developed nasty cysts in the top lid - and this was followed quite soon after with a huge (and I mean huge) cyst on the lower lid of the right eye. For months, my eyes were full of what seemed like dirty washing up water. I wore shades most of the time - which I had to constantly remove to clean the inside of the lens that had become `splattered' with fluid coming out of my eye. There's a possible Research & Development project there for someone to design windscreen wipers for specs!

Plugs weren't for me yet the consultant I am seeing currently is urging me to try them again. The bottom plugs were removed some time ago and I only have the top plugs in now. Of course I refused his suggestion but I don't know what part of `NO' he didn't understand. I felt my blood pressure rise when he said that I might have been allergic to the materials used in the plugs and perhaps I should consider cautery. I still said no. As many have said - they are not suitable for everyone but perhaps give them a few weeks for your eyes to get used to them.

Comment

I wish I would have found relief when I tried the punctal plugs. I didn't have a good experience with them. They were uncomfortable, since I felt them scratching my eyes, and itching at the site of insertion. Unfortuanately, I developed an infection, and the plugs had to be removed. They were cauterized later on, and still no relief.

In reading so many posts, everyone has a different experience. What works for one, may not work for another, and vice versa.

Good luck with the plugs!!

Heidi

Comment

Please ignore , couldn't delete.

Comment

Working...
                              X