This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph: 8 drops/day to none

Hi - I had PRK in 2004. I had surgery because I have mild/med near sightedness, but I could not tolerate contacts and wanted to play sports that go better without glasses. I assumed this was all allergy to the preservatives in the contact solutions.

My eyes never healed well after surgery. I found this website and have lurked for years. The only drops that felt good were the preservative free Refresh Plus. But after using them frequently for many years, my eyes did not improve. There was a time that I thought my eyes did get better, but they seemed to get worse again and I did not know why. I had to use about 8 vials per day. Over time, they developed that terrible stickiness so that I had to lubricate them in the morning before opening them, and occasionally, the dryness would be sudden and severe (and painful!). I have used goggles from the dry eye shop, they also help tremendously.

In February 2011, I decided to re-try all the drops available OTC that were preservative free. I bought drops with preservatives in them (even Dr Holly's drops) but I could not bring myself to use them drops with preservatives as I was too afraid because my eyes were too sore. I was not having much luck. Then, I tried the Systane Ultra PF. There was a recall on some Systane product the last time that I experimented, so this was the first Systane product that I tried. I was thrilled to find out that my morning stickiness did not occur with the Systane Ultra. I only had to use these drops 2-3 times per day.

My eyes stayed the same way for about 4 months. Sometimes using 3 drops / day and sometimes four drops per day.

I am not sure if the Systane Ultra was just quietly healing over time, or whether it was this last change was what got me over the last hurtle. I have a persistent friend who helped me by encouraging me to change my diet. I went vegan for 2 weeks (with no soy either). After one week, I did not need any drops. I have been drop free for 3 weeks now and I have added back some meat and dairy, but only about 1/8th of what I used to eat. I know none of you want to hear this last part. I certainly did not. I had resisted trying the diet change for years. I have to spend extra time making dinner and lunch. But since I learned so much from this forum, I feel that I have to say it. From my experimenting, I think that I have a milk/beef (and possibly soy) allergy that irritates my skin (including my eyes). Keep in mind that I also have allergies to grass and dust.

Good luck on your ventures. I will update in a few months to tell you if I finally can go without the onyx goggles since they still get dry at night. My eyes seem to be doing better slowly over time. The best part is that I can read or do sports late at night without worrying about driving with the defrost on first thing in the morning!

I forgot to mention that I also added flax seed oil to my routine starting last February.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!! I live for triumph stories like this. This is what keeps me going. May you have continued progress, good health, and moist eyes. I am so excited for anyone who can gain some relief. yay!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by cateye View Post
        I have a persistent friend who helped me by encouraging me to change my diet. I went vegan for 2 weeks (with no soy either). After one week, I did not need any drops. I have been drop free for 3 weeks now and I have added back some meat and dairy, but only about 1/8th of what I used to eat. I know none of you want to hear this last part. I certainly did not. I had resisted trying the diet change for years. I have to spend extra time making dinner and lunch. But since I learned so much from this forum, I feel that I have to say it. From my experimenting, I think that I have a milk/beef (and possibly soy) allergy that irritates my skin (including my eyes). Keep in mind that I also have allergies to grass and dust.
        Wow. Give your friend a high 5 for me. I'm so happy to hear of your progress (and your willingness to do the things no one wants to do). I'm sure you'll be rewarded for the dietary change by more generalized benefits to your health, esp. disease prevention, too! Let us know how you're doing in a few months... we're headed into the rough ones with the heat coming on now.

I've been reviewing how I've eaten this year... not as good as in past years, despite my garden helpfully kicking out lots of kale, beets & other goodies... and thinking hard about how to re-learn habits of less meat and dairy. My body hates cow's milk and I know it, but it's so hard not to eat cheese... any cheese, every cheese
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

yes!!! Love to hear good news, and this is very good news, thank you for thinking of us and sharing you success. It gives me hope to continue trying all the many beneficial things I can do to help myself. It is also great to hear that this doesn't have to be a life sentence. I've had some discouraging lack of progress is some areas, so this really challenges me to continue to look at ways I can improve, thank you for that. Again so happy for you!!

Comment

Your success is an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

While I still have eye ongoing dryness and problems, I'm no longer having the mucus anywhere in my eye. No lashes sticking together in AM, or globs of goo to clean off with eye scrubs, no painful mucus threads or filaments (which had for 15 yrs). I'm not even sure I need eye scrubs anymore. Plan to drop those for a while and see.

I was just thinking yesterday that the 2 big changes, one or both of which must have caused this dramatic improvement, is that I'm taking a large dose of high quality flax oil daily and eliminating (ongoing) all sources of my chemical allergies from my home and eye products. I'm no longer exposed to daily BAK or fomaldehyde. Made a huge difference for me, after a few months. Just now have to figure out why eye exam visits flare me up so badly for a few weeks after. Hopefully custom allergy tests will give answers.

Was also taking a high quality fish oil but stopped it to determine which oil was helping. The fish oil made my eyes more watery than flax oil alone, but I'm doing great on just flax. Will likely go back to taking both as winter is approaching.

I'm milk intolerant, but have actually had more milk the last several months because I discovered the newest version of lactaid (fast acting) works for me. And wanted cheese back in my life! But your post does make me question the wisdom of eating milk products again in general.

So happy for you!

Mary

Comment

I love hearing stories like this. Gives us hope that maybe one day we will find some relief. I hope you have many many years of comfort. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I too (with MGD) use Systane Ultra and find it is one of the best. I've used it for two years.

I've tried most of the other eye drops at the drug store; but after 10-15 minutes these other drops make my eyes feel even dryer.

Comment

How long has the Systane Ultra Preservative Free been around for? I've never seen it on the shelves here in Canada.

Comment

How wonderful your news is! I've also thought of going on a healthy, less meat-oriented diet, but have failed to do so because of the extra prep time for the meals, and because I was vegan for a year, had very difficult time with it. It took me so long to find dishes that supplied the daily essential amino acids to make proteins, and that were palatable. I was following Lappe's Diet For a Small Planet, using many of her recipes, plus others from various books I"d found. So happy for you that you've got the discipline and motivation to follow this through. And how great that you've had the remarkable turn-around that you have. Kudos!
                    Maria

Comment

Update: Things are going great - found out exactly why

Hello,

My eyes are better than ever, but the road was bumpy. I do not have an allergy to milk and meat. I have food intolerance to amines and salicylates (I always knew that I was allergic to aspirin!). Going on the rpah (google it!) elimination diet, and reading everything from the Food Intolerance site of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney Australia cured my eyes, and many other symptoms. I had to self diagnose this one through the elimination diet as no doctor here (another Puget Sound person) could figure this one out.

As my eyes continue to get better, I just use them more. More reading, more computer work ect. My life has improved immensely. I encourage you to find what is causing your inflammation and getting to it!

A very big "THANKS" to everyone on this forum and the dry eye store (I still like my googles at night - it makes it easy to pop up in the morning and get going right away). Also to all Australians who have supported a system that gave birth to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, without which, I would still be suffering.

Comment

It's been 4.5 years. Time for an update. Still haven't used any drops.

The more I tweaked my diet, the more my body gave me feedback on what I can eat, and what I can not. You see, it really wasn't just the dry eyes, that was just the worst part. I also found that I did not recover from exercise so I was getting out of shape.

Now - I started to follow the "AutoImmune protocol" - A strict version of the paleo diet. And then added back (to stop losing weight). Basically for me: No gluten, no dairy, very few legumes (only the type with edible pods). I basically eat only vegies with some fruit and meat. And take extra Omega-3's. Works for me as I am healthier than ever. I do eye intensive computer work now.

Comment

This is amazing, made my day to hear this. I am also finding that eating a diet that is mostly vegetables works for me also. I have to watch my fruit intake due to sugar but I still eat it. Did you have mgd too?

Comment

I looked up the diet on the web site for the RPAH eliminatin diet. It states that you have to go "cold turkey" to make sure it helps you. However, I am on restasis and doxycyclene. I am afraid to stop these two. If I am reading this correctly I would need to stop both. were you taking any meds? did you stop taking them while on this diet?

Thanks!

Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X