Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anyone who was cured of chronic dry eye?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anyone who was cured of chronic dry eye?

PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by cvowr View Post
    PLEASE!!!
    Unfortunately there is no cure, only various treatments & the really tricky part is what works for one person, doesn't work for another. It's also hard to find a knowledgeable doctor. Dr. Robert Latkany in New York City only sees patients w/dry eyes & has written a book "Dry Eye Remedy" which might help you learn more about this horrible condition.

I just had an app't w/him a few weeks ago (I've had dry eyes my whole life but they've gotten really bad the past few years) & he diagnosed me w/ocular rosacea (before I'd been told I had MGD & blepharitis). He put me on different drops & had me stop all the current drops I was using & switched me from warm compresses to cold.

I go back in a few weeks for a follow-up & he might prescribe anitbiotics.

Good luck!

Comment

I have heard.

People who has dry eyes because of the computer use, or driving with open window.

cvowr,

Na comunidade do orkut sobre Olho Seco eu li sobre esses dois casos. Num a pessoa reduziu o uso do computador a duas horas por dia. No outro a pessoa parou de dirigiar com a janela aberta.
      Estou tentando homeopatia agora, e torço para melhorar. Meu caso muito provavelmente não é tão grave quanto o seu (levando em conta por exemplo seu nível de fotofobia).
      Eu imagino seu desespero porque desesperado também fiquei. Meu sintomas começaram em setembro passado. Quase entrei em depressão em dezembro. Tenha força, siga adiante com o mestrado. Procure estar junto a pessoas que vc goste e que gostem de vc, amigos, família, namorada... Acho que vc deve tentar planejar o futuro próximo para viver numa cidade mais úmida (Brasília é terrivelmente seca).
      força
      torço por você assim como por mim.

Comment

Hi,

I wanted to let you know that YES, I was cured of dry eyes and I know others that were as well. I still have residual red veins in my eyes that drive me crazy because of how they look, and I still have the odd day or two when my eyes are not that moist, but most of the time, they are not dry. They are what all doctors would call healthy. I did it because I read a book about back problems I was having called Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno and I applied his theory about back pain/muscle pain, to my (then) dry eyes. I had almost immediate relief.

His theory is that our brain distracts us from emotional stress by creating a condition in the body that we then give all our attention to. Some people it's back pain, others it can be other types of pain or diseases or disorders. He proposes that you incorporate self talk and journalling into your life to address the pain and command it to go away. After a few days of that, you DO NOTHING. You basically refuse to entertain the thought you have the condition any more. You have to be very resolute with it. For a bit of time, it may get worse. So you have to get your mind even STRONGER than it (again). Your mind/body may then even create another condition in your being (a pain, another type of problem with your eyes, etc)...he says to get even STRONGER with it. I did this and it worked. It took a lot of strength and energy, but I healed myself of many physical ailiments that way. It is worth reading the book. I assure you that I don't have any connection to it. I know you can't trust me but please...just trust me. Nothing worked for me (and I tried everything and spent heaps of money) other than that.

I also just confided in a friend for the first time about my worries about the red veins in my eyes. She says she has "hardly" noticed it. I mean, mine truly are very prominent and very big (much bigger than any I have seen on photos in this forum, truly), but it goes to show that we make problems bigger in our minds sometimes, too. I am going to try to get over my self conciousness about my eyes through Sarno's book again.

Please don't lose heart. Read the book and apply what he says about backs/muscles to your eye condition.

You can overcome this, I promise.

Comment

Originally posted by cvowr View Post
          PLEASE!!!
          Sure, lots of people.

You won't see very many of them on this website simply because people who get better go away. (I'm so thankful to those who stay & write a Triumph...)

Keep in mind that "cured" can mean different things to different people.

For some people, it is complete resolution of all symptoms at all times. Don't even think about their eyes at all now.
          For some people, it means that dry eye no longer runs their life. They may still use drops and other remedies but they don't have to think about it anymore and they're not in pain all the time. Any impact on day to day life has dropped down to a level that is heaven by comparison with what they once had.

Potential for that much improvement depends a lot on the nature of the condition you have right now and the reasons for it. But I've seen some people in pretty desperate states get dramatically better.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by babybeluga View Post
            Please don't lose heart. Read the book and apply what he says about backs/muscles to your eye condition.
            I need to comment on this... I'm familiar with John Sarno's book and it's not my intent to comment or criticize it - but I do not feel it is appropriate to apply it to dry eye in a broad-brush sense. With dry eye, and to be clear I mean clinical dry eye where the tear film is truly inadequate in quantity and/or quality, pain is the body's way of saying the cornea is in danger. It should not be denied, no matter what the cause. There's a reason why the cornea has more densely packed nerves than any other tissue in the body - to protect our most important sensory organ. It is not safe to try to persuade yourself your eyes don't hurt or your eyes aren't dry when you've got a 0 Schirmer, have significant staining when you're examined by a doctor, are experiencing frequent corneal erosions, etc.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
              Sure, lots of people.

Keep in mind that "cured" can mean different things to different people.

For some people, it is complete resolution of all symptoms at all times. Don't even think about their eyes at all now.
              For some people, it means that dry eye no longer runs their life. They may still use drops and other remedies but they don't have to think about it anymore and they're not in pain all the time. Any impact on day to day life has dropped down to a level that is heaven by comparison with what they once had.
              Good points there: I think "cured" does mean different things for different people, and some peoples bodies are more resilient than others and so on....

I keep banging the drum, but I am now cured, and for me it was all to do with hormones and diet, plus the obvious correlations between the two.

Healthy, well balanced, hormone levels mean a healthy body and immune system. A healthy tree starts from good soil and healthy roots...its that simple. Well, it's not always that simple but you have to start somewhere :-)
              Jamie

Comment

I partially agree with babybeluga. What i feel is distracting your mind just helps to relieve the stress from the body. Which in turn helps in the healing process. One has to use medicines though. Being confident and positive always helps. Here is a link that describes it in detail..

http://www.medicalinsider.com/psychology.html
                Pritesh.

Comment

Rebecca's response, plus my thoughts

I think it is worthwhile to quote Rebecca's response again!
                  I need to comment on this... I'm familiar with John Sarno's book and it's not my intent to comment or criticize it - but I do not feel it is appropriate to apply it to dry eye in a broad-brush sense. With dry eye, and to be clear I mean clinical dry eye where the tear film is truly inadequate in quantity and/or quality, pain is the body's way of saying the cornea is in danger. It should not be denied, no matter what the cause. There's a reason why the cornea has more densely packed nerves than any other tissue in the body - to protect our most important sensory organ. It is not safe to try to persuade yourself your eyes don't hurt or your eyes aren't dry when you've got a 0 Schirmer, have significant staining when you're examined by a doctor, are experiencing frequent corneal erosions, etc.
                  There are some physiological conditions like Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) it used to be called Graves' eye disease. It is an autoimmune disease with many components, and one of them is that the consistency of the tears changes, so they lose their viscous, clinging quality, which lubricates our eye. There is not any mind over body action that can be done to make it better. With dry eyes,the symptoms must be addressed, as Rebecca said. A corneal abrasion is super painful, and can result in a corneal transplant. So if anyone reads the Sarno book, I think it is wise to consult with the medical community at the same time. I am happy for you, babybeluga, that you no longer have eye issues. But if your eyes get dry again, i sure hope you use eye drops in combination with your other method.

Comment

babybeluga-i just got 3 dif books by john sarno from the library.. going to start reading them later.
                    Jenny

Comment

It's really an interesting topic... I certainly didn't intend to brush aside the overall importance of thought in the process. In fact I think if you could interview a lot of people who have been members of this community and moved on (or stayed) you'd find that a considerable number would describe their turnaround point as characterized more by mental rather than a physical turnaround. For more, of course, it works the other way around - they had a mental/emotional turnaround after getting pain under control, regaining sleep, etc. - But my point was very much as Shirley puts it and TED is a great example. Lot of people with TED have bulging that puts the corneas at increased risk due to surface exposure. Prudence dictates that we address physical dangers (to the extent they actually exist, which is not the case with all people who have dry eye symptoms) with physical solutions, be they drugs, eyewear or whatever.

One more thing... I shouldn't have said I'm familiar with Sarno, considering it's been at least ten years since I read the book! My recollection though is the idea that part of the body (in that case the lower back) becomes the focal point for retaining unacknowledged, unaddressed emotion which I think makes a great deal of sense. How that applies to eyes, (esp. in light of all the solid physiological reasons for our dry eye epidemic, those densely packed nerves assailed by generations of contact lens wear, office air, air conditioning, auto immune diseases, rampant surgical interventions in eyelids and corneas and most of all a horrible inflammatory diet of processed food) I dunno, but it still wouldn't surprise me.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

im just anxious to look through the books... i know everyone has their theories... i just need a way to change the way my mind thinks when my left eye gets so bad.. i do know that stress and anxiety play a big role in how i feel--is that what gave me Sjogrens and MGD? i dont know about that.. it could be a combo genetics and environment/viruses as a child. etc..
                        but i do know that wheni pop a xanax my eyes USUSALLY feel better---which means that anxiety def makes it worse which we all know...

i will let everybody know what i take from the books.. plan to look through them tonight.. if i can stop being so TV addicted!!!!
                        Jenny

Comment

Opa! Blz?

Oi Bakunin, que bom ver alguém que fala português por aqui! De onde tu és? Obrigado pela força! Estou pensando seriamente morar em outro lugar. Meus olhos continuam piorando e aqui ainda está no período de chuva. Tenho medo quando a seca chegar!!! O mestrado já está quase trancado. Segunda-feira devo ir na UnB para resolver as burocracias necessárias... Não posso desistir da cura... O filme Óleo de Lorenzo embora um pouco fantasioso me faz pensar em prosseguir nesta direção!!!

Segundo a Rebeca (posts mais adiante):
                          Existe muita gente que ficou curada, mas que não veremos muitos deles neste site, simplesmente porque eles vão embora...

VEJA ESTE CASO DE CURA COM LIPIFLOW

(http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?15017-Lipiflow&highlight=cure), veja o comentário à seguir:
                          Originally posted by svogstad View Post
                          Hi. I have just returned from my one month Lipiflow follow up. Two tests were repeated to compare to the original tests and both new tests were significantly better than the original ones. Oil secretion was was better in one eye and much better in the other. The doctor saw no dry patches this time around either. And in spite of doing blinking exercises my one eye still does not close all the way. There is no need for a follow up session as the doctor is pleased with the results and so am I. Since the procedure, I have not used any product on or in my eyes; I sleep well for most of the night; 99% of my dry eye symptoms are gone. So this will be my last post. I wish you all the best of success.
                          Parece que secundariamente também tive alteração da parte lipídica da minha lágrima, tanto é que tive leve inchaço palpebral. Acho que vou fazer o Lipiflow...

Recentemente, aqui no dry eye zone encontrei este link de caso semelhante ao meu (http://wwww.uvlightburns.com/id17.html). Segundo este site, a luz ultravioleta de lampada de haleto metálico quebrada pode causar dana neuronal (neuropatia da córnea) e consequentemente olho seco. Eu ainda preciso fazer a microscopia confocal da córnea para comprovar isto.

De qualquer forma muitos casos de olho seco estão associados com problemas neuronais, tanto é que estão fazendo testes com fator de crescimento neural. Veja:
                          http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ed=1#post68725

É mais uma idéia!!!

Abraços...

Comment

Sure, lots of people.

You won't see very many of them on this website simply because people who get better go away. (I'm so thankful to those who stay & write a Triumph...)
                            Hi Rebecca,

Really what you said is true! I found a case of cure! People go away, but at least this person witnessed his healing before leaving.
                            SEE THIS CASE OF HEALING WITH LIPIFLOW:
                            (http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?15017-Lipiflow&highlight=cure)

Originally posted by svogstad View Post
                            Hi. I have just returned from my one month Lipiflow follow up. Two tests were repeated to compare to the original tests and both new tests were significantly better than the original ones. Oil secretion was was better in one eye and much better in the other. The doctor saw no dry patches this time around either. And in spite of doing blinking exercises my one eye still does not close all the way. There is no need for a follow up session as the doctor is pleased with the results and so am I. Since the procedure, I have not used any product on or in my eyes; I sleep well for most of the night; 99% of my dry eye symptoms are gone. So this will be my last post. I wish you all the best of success.
                            It seems that I also had secondary alteration of lipid part of my tears, so much that I had little swelling of the eyelid. I think I'll do Lipiflow ...

Recently here in dry eye zone, found this link a case similar to mine (http://wwww.uvlightburns.com/id17.html). According to this site, the ultraviolet light from broken metal halide lamp can cause neuronal damage (neuropathy of the cornea) and consequently dry eye. I still need to make the corneal confocal microscopy to confirm this.

Many cases of dry eye are associated with neural problems, so much so that they are doing tests with Nerve growth factor. See:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ed=1#post68725

It's an idea!
                            Sorry my english...
                            Hugs ...

Comment

Sorry non-portuguese readers. But anyway,i'm not writting on this post any new information that could help someone else that i have not posted before or that i won't post in english in the near future.

Oi cvowr,

Eu tenho acompanhado os tópicos do fórum.

Eu moro no sul. Atualmente moro a cerca de 50m do mar. Lugar mais úmido é difícil imaginar, e estamos no verão. É provável que nos próximos meses eu me mude para BH, que é bem mais seco (embora bem menos que Brasília), e isso me assusta. Se já não estou bem no verão e com toda umidade à minha volta, procuro não pensar o que pode acontecer quando for para lá.
                              Início de fevereiro consegui finalmente uma consulta com minha homeopata unicista. Ela já me curou de uma faringite que me atacava forte todos os meses, me deixando com febre alta e me obrigando a tomar antibióticos todo mês (apesar de eu sempre evitar ao máximo os remédios alopáticos).
                              Comecei a tomar o remédio que ela me passou (na homeopatia unicista o remédio é para a pessoa não para a doença, por isso nem vem ao caso eu dizer qual remédio que é porque ele a princípio só faria efeito positivo em mim e em pessoas com as mesmas características). Já nos primeiros dias senti uma melhora visível no meu ânimo, e numa sensação de frio maior que o de costume (sou friorento), que me acompanhava desde mais ou menos quando começaram meus sintomas de olho seco e que pioraram quando a ardência nos meus olhos piorou. A ardência nos olhos também melhorou, embora acho que o maior efeito até agora tenha sido no meu ânimo e no fim desse frio meio excessivo que eu andava sentindo. Mas tenho que continuar o remédio e início de abril eu volto lá. De qualquer forma, mesmo que não me cure do olho seco, a melhora da minha disposição e ânimo já melhoram a minha qualidade de vida e tendem a fazer eu encarar o problema dos olhos de outra forma.
                              Em dezembro acho que quase entrei em depressão, e meu abalo psicológico foi grande (ou está sendo grande) por conta dos olhos. Tive momentos de desespero, de choro, que imagino que vc deve ter tido ou ainda tenha.
                              Se quiser manter mais contato, manda seu msn por mensagem privada.
                              força

Comment

Working...
                              X