X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to recovery - Link between Seborrheic Dermatitis and Dry Eye

Hi everyone,

I am a 28 year old healthy male that was diagnosed with Dry Eye in June 2006. My condition was probably as bad as it gets without corneal ulceration. And then there was the emotional toll but I won't bore you with that. That's all in the past for me now. I'm going to tell you about how I have started the road to real recovery. But before that I think it is important to detail my history.

My eye problem came on out of the blue in June 2006. Tearing, redness, inflammation, discharge all in the matter of a day and my eyes never normalized. Over the last 5+ years in my hunt for a cure I tried everything (lubricating drops, punctal plugs, Restasis, Patanol, Alrex, Lotemax, PredMild, Azasite, Elidel Cream on eyelids, doctor assisted MGD expression, allergy shots, etc.). I was desperate and so I foolishly put all of these chemicals into my eyes and my body. In hindsight, I believe these drugs only ‘paused’ my problem and to some degree made it worse.

My wakeup call came in August 2011 when I visited my ophthalmologist and my IOP registered low to mid 20’s. I was on PredMild at the time and after hearing the readout decided that it just wasn’t providing enough relief to justify the risk of Glaucoma. Frustrated and confused I stopped ALL eye drops and went back to the basics – warm compresses followed by lid expression using a q-tip. Needless to say the following two months were brutal as my eyes had been used to some kind of steroid suppressing inflammation for the last 5+ years. But I told myself steroids were no longer an option and that whatever symptoms I was going to experience wouldn’t be as bad as Glaucoma. By the third month things got a bit better to the point where I was able to get through the day but still had bouts of pain associated with the dryness.

I visited Dr. Latkany in late January. He knew my history and we discussed my health. The only health issue that seemed off in my life besides the eyes was some mild acne accompanied with oily skin (usually a teenager problem). He prescribed Promiseb cream, which is designed to treat Seborrheic Dermatitis (SD), to be applied to the face 1x/day. For those of you not familiar with SD it is a skin condition that causes inflammation and dry flakey skin. It should be noted that there is a huge amount of variability in the severity of the disease. Some people have very noticeable symptoms while others, such as myself, have very mild symptoms.

I was on Promiseb for 1 week and my acne and oiliness cleared up 100%. I’m not kidding, there was no trace of it. It just disappeared. This result was a pretty good indication to me that I have SD. Armed with that knowledge I wanted to find a face wash, specifically designed for SD, that could clean my face and eye area (since I couldn’t use Promiseb on the eyelids). I did some research and came across DermaDoctor's Born-to-be-Mild Face & Body Wash (link below):

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product_D...nser_1527.html

On top of that I am also using Nizoral shampoo, which is for people with SD.

My eyes have never felt this good since my dry eye diagnosis in 2006. The redness is going away and the bouts of pain from dryness have all but disappeared. I am still doing the warm compresses and lid expressions every other day. I think doing it every day is too much for the eyes to handle.

I am certain that this trifecta of cream, cleanser and shampoo is why my eyes feel so good right now.

I hope this information helps others out there that may have a similar situation. I truly feel your pain and I wish you all the best of luck in your pursuit for a cure.

Sincerely,

Alex

Alex

Thanks for posting your story, it is helpful to me. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Some of your story resonates with me. I have seborrheic blepharitis, MGD, and also have dandruff and mild acne. The area of my face that is worst for acne is in between my eyes. My skin also feels and looks greasy in that area of my face, as well as around my eyes. This is the only area of my face that seems to be affected. I am also using a variety of anti-dandruff shampoos - Nizoral, Selsun, Head & Shoulders (with zinc pyrithione), T-Gel (tar shampoo), Dead Sea Magik (with salicylic acid), and a tea tree shampoo. I'm liking the tar shampoo and tea tree shampoo so far. I'm still doing the warm compresses, lid cleaning and a little bit of lid massage. I'm feeling better than I was but the eyes are still not as good as I'd like. I'll ask my doctor about Promiseb cream and the other cream you mentioned.

Thanks
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

I am glad you found it useful. Let me know how it works out.

-Alex

Comment

Hi AlexM were your eyelids ever swollen?

Comment

Yes, my eyelids are chronically swollen. Why do you ask?

I am also giving IPL a try now. Just did my first treatment 2 weeks ago. No 'wow' factor but going to go back and give it another shot.

Comment

My eyelids are chronically swollen too and nothing seems to treat them... Has the treatment for SD helped the swelling? What about IPL? Do they appear less swollen?

Comment

What are you using to clean your eyelids? How does using this shampoo help your eyes?

Comment

Ingredients of Promiseb cream:

Purified Water, Isohexadecane, Butyrospermum parkii, Pentylene glycol[emulsifier],
                Ethylhexyl palmitate, Cera alba, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate[emulsifier], Bisabolol, Polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate[emulsifier], Tocopheryl acetate,
                Hydrogenated castor oil, Acifructol complex, Butylene glycol[solvent], Magnesium sulfate, Piroctone olamine, Allantoin, Magnesium
                stearate, Disodium EDTA, Vitis vinifera, Ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate, Glycyrrhetinic acid, Propyl gallate, and Telmesteine.

http://www.promiseb.com/files/Promiseb_PI.pdf

I've got to look up a bunch of these now. The product is claimed to have no active ingredients. Appears sketchy to me.

Isohexadecane is just a hydrocarbon that's used to soften skin. Butyrospermum parkii is a traditional African food plant, which seems to be more commonly called shea butter when used for cosmetic or medicinal purposes. "the benefits of propylene glycol are its keratolytic[soften, loosen, shed] effects as well as its anti-mycotic[anti-fungal] activity". Ethylhexyl palmitate is used as a "solvent, carrying agent, pigment wetting agent, fragrance fixative and emollient[moisturizer]." Cera alba is beeswax that is used as an emulsifier. Bisabolol has "been used for hundreds of years in cosmetics because of its perceived skin healing properties" and "is known to have anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties." "Tocopheryl acetate, also known as vitamin E acetate, is a common vitamin supplement". "Acifructol complex is fruit acid extract — malic, citric, lactic, solanum lycopersicum (tomato), water and propylene glycol." Magnesium slufate, commonly called Epsom salt, is used externally to treat aches and pains and is used for some other medical things. Piroctone olamine is a compound sometimes used for fungal infections. Allantoin is claimed to have antioxidant, moisturizing, shedding, smoothing, wound-healing, and anti-irritant effcts. Magnesium stearate is used as a lubricant is also used to bind sugar in hard candies like mints, and is a common ingredient in baby formulas. Disodium EDTA is a chelating agent that binds heavy metals and can remove them from the body. Vitis vinifera is common grape vine. Ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate is a synthetic form of vitamin C that is claimed to more easily penetrate the skin. Glycyrrhetinic acid "is effective in the treatment of peptic ulcer and has expectorant (antitussive) properties. It has some additional pharmacological properties including antiviral, antifungal, antiprotozoal, and antibacterial activities." Propyl gallate is an anti-oxidant that may act as an estrogen antagonist. Telmesteine has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.

Found this about a similar product:

The authors of some paper about it stated “We believe that the major activity is probably due to the synergistic effect of both piroctone olamine, for its antimycotic action, and glycyrrhetinic acid, for its anti-inflammatory action.”

Sebclair Ingredients

Ingredient Concentration Role
                Isohexadecane 8% Emollient
                Shea butter 6% Emollient
                Bisabolol 1.2% Anti-inflammatory
                Piroctone olamine 1% Antimycotic
                Alglycera 1% Anti-inflammatory and keratolytic
                Vitamin E 1% Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
                Allantoin 0.35% Keratolytic
                V. vinifera 0.1% Anti-oxidant
                Telmesteine 0.01% Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
                http://rosacea-support.org/sebclair-...ermatitis.html
                Last edited by Optic; 30-Jan-2013, 20:31.

Comment

Can someone help me out- (in terms of dry eye) what is the issue of having dandruff? I see many people talking about how they are concerned with special shampoos and all that but I don't see the connection.

Comment

Some people have dry eye caused by seborrheic blepharitis (eyelid inflammation) which can also cause symptoms such as dry flaky skin on the face and scalp (seborrheic dermatitis.)

Comment

tanx for sharing
                      i use selsun(selenium sulfide) shampoo for hair and sulphur saop 10% for face .i think sulphur best for me

Comment

Working...
                      X