This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Exciting Possibility

I recently took a saliva test for hormone levels, and discovered that my estrogen is more than twice what it should be, progesterone is non-existant, and testosterone is in the normal zone, but low normal. The pharmacist seems to think that getting all of this in balance might really make a big difference with my eyes. I am so hoping she is right! The new year is going to be off to a good start. New PPO, new doctors, new outlook and maybe (hopefully), new EYES! I'd like to encourage everyone to have their hormone levels checked. While it might not make a difference for some, it could for others. It is one of those items on the "to do" checklist. I will tell you that my blood test results look nothing like the saliva results. Good idea to do both if you can. Will keep you posted if there is a great improvement. I've not gotten the medication changed yet, and was told it would probably take about three months to see a difference. We will see.

isnt is amazing we can measure testosterone level through saliva

how did you get the idea of saliva test? i'll have to get it written by a doctor, if i want the test.

Comment

Hi Mohit,
      I had a blood test done last year through my health care lab, and it didn't reveal much. The blood test was covered by my insurance, and the saliva test was not. I got the saliva kit from a compounding pharmacy and they needed to get approval from my doctor to process the kit and the data. The pharmacist will work with the doctor to try and balance the hormones. You can also order saliva tests online, but I don't know much about those.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
        I recently took a saliva test for hormone levels, and discovered that my estrogen is more than twice what it should be, progesterone is non-existant, and testosterone is in the normal zone, but low normal. The pharmacist seems to think that getting all of this in balance might really make a big difference with my eyes. I am so hoping she is right! The new year is going to be off to a good start. New PPO, new doctors, new outlook and maybe (hopefully), new EYES! I'd like to encourage everyone to have their hormone levels checked. While it might not make a difference for some, it could for others. It is one of those items on the "to do" checklist. I will tell you that my blood test results look nothing like the saliva results. Good idea to do both if you can. Will keep you posted if there is a great improvement. I've not gotten the medication changed yet, and was told it would probably take about three months to see a difference. We will see.
        Intwrestling, ladiva! I have the saliva test kit at home and will do it after the holidays. Thé cold wheather and dry air is now a killer, but I have startad with progesteron cream off and on as adviced, although I wonder if I should use it constantly, it is a trial and error thing. The body can convert3 progesteron to other hormones like testosterone as needed, so we will see what happens. 3 months you say?

Comment

Good luck Sunshine! Do you have the four vial kit? I had to do mine over a two day period as the pharmacist wanted the vials filled up 3/4 to the top. It wasn't easy coming up with that much saliva. I froze it after the first day, and then took it out to finish on the next day. Also, bubbles. Ask what to do about those. When you have the bubbles, there is no more room for saliva. Yes, the pharmacist told me that when the hormones are balanced the testosterone levels should also be better. Three months to notice a change, but it could be less, I guess. Not sure what to say about the progesterone cream. I have pills, but think the pharmacy would like me to use cream too. She mentioned something about being able to regulate as needed, but I am not sure how to gauge that.

Comment

Yes it is 4 vials. Ordered it from internet. How do you get the saliva down the vials? Can you spit? Or does it need to be flowing down in3 some odd way? There were some straws included to help too, but I wonder how that works.

Comment

The saliva will go right into the tube. Someone online said it is best just to let it run out of your mouth into the tube and that way no bubbles. I don't have that much saliva. Try not to spit, but let the saliva flow into your mouth and then deposit in the tube. I think the straws are to get rid of the bubbles. Someone online said she used them to stir the bubbles off the top, but I don't know. I had a new eyedropper which I cleaned and stuck in boiling water. Then sucked the bubbles off. You've got to clean it each time you use it though. Check your instructions. They probably tell you about the straw. I didn't have a straw! Also, be sure to change your pillow cases and no makeup or lipstick. I wouldn't do it on a work day, and you will probably need to set aside two days depending on how much saliva you have. I found that rubbing the glands under my mouth helped. Good luck. The experience was a career, but worth it.

Comment

Thanks! May be I use a Salagen tablet although I feeling sick of those. These give me an overdose of3 saliva anyway...Yeah, staying at home seems to be the solution.

Comment

How did you decide that the saliva test was more accurate than the blood test? Thanks.

Comment

Hi spmcc,
                    I don't know whether a saliva test is more accurate or not, but think the two tests measure the levels in different ways. My doctor likes the blood tests because they are standardized and she says the saliva levels will vary from one day to the next. I am not a very scientific sort of woman, but more bound to gut reactions, intuition and how I feel. So, to answer your question, I feel compelled to look at both blood and saliva test results not as a matter of one being right or wrong, but each as a possible tool to help fix an awful eye problem.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
                      Hi spmcc,
                      I don't know whether a saliva test is more accurate or not, but think the two tests measure the levels in different ways. My doctor likes the blood tests because they are standardized and she says the saliva levels will vary from one day to the next. I am not a very scientific sort of woman, but more bound to gut reactions, intuition and how I feel. So, to answer your question, I feel compelled to look at both blood and saliva test results not as a matter of one being right or wrong, but each as a possible tool to help fix an awful eye problem.
                      Yep, my blood test and saliva test told me opposite things. I decided to ignore both . I have a diagnosis (ocular rosacea). Since it's pretty much a duh-no-brainer diagnosis, I'm not going to mess with my hormones. Anyway, I was warned that supplementing with progesterone or testosterone can cause fatigue, and I don't need more of that!

Comment

Aw, sorry to hear you are in fatigue mode spmcc! I also have ocular rosacea, and also have it on my face as well. The facial goes into remission, although right now I am on a new face regimin, so having some problems not seen in a long time. I am hoping the ocular rosacea will also go into remission. I tried to quit taking estrogen, but had such horrible hot flashes that the Dr. put me back on it. The rosacea was much worse when all of the flashing was going on! Hope you feel better. Maybe I am crazy, but will try just about anything to feel better, and some of it has truly helped, but I'm still not there yet. Cheers to all of us!

Comment

For every write-up like these, there are 10 by MDs saying saliva tests are not reliable. It seems to be the homeopathic vs the medical profession. I wish they would join the same team.

http://www.drmarcantel.com/hormone-t...um-blood-test/

http://www.altmednetwork.net/art_mosthlt.html

Comment

From what I understand more and more docs are aknowledging thé accuracy of saliva tests as opposed to blood tests, There are many hormone docs working with bioavailability today, although old school docs do not know much about it . I guess more open minded docs have been more interested. I am more of a deadly scientific person myself, but have come to understand how much behind medicine is i certain more holistic aspects.

Comment

That is great to hear sunshine, because I think when both are available, we have a well-rounded menu! I understand nurses are now be trained to use reiki in hospital settings, and reiki has truly been my salvation. I hope insurance providers will begin to acknowledge it's worth as they have begun to do with acupuncture and some of the other alternatives. If we were able to use all of these things in conjunction with traditional medicine, what a rich resource the American medical field would become. Some of our healing is truly about the spirit, and cannot be found in a test tube. Here is another page from the first thread above. For me, it was a good explanation of how our hormones interact: http://www.drmarcantel.com/hormones-...they-interact/

Sunshine, when you complete your test and if you feel like sharing, please do! Fingers crossed for you. I've been reading that in Sjorgen's patients, hormone levels are often not in balance.
                              Last edited by LaDiva; 30-Dec-2012, 10:35. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X