This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was told I'm "curable"

I went to Korbs & Associates today for my dry eye assessment. I was told I have three issues:

1. I don't close my eyes all the way when I sleep
    2. Oil glands are blocked
    3. I have bumps under my eye lids. The doctor thinks it looks like some kind of allergic reaction.

I'm on a strict regimen as well:
    Throw away Restasis
    Eye blinking exercises every hour (Dr. Korb has an app for free)
    Systane Balance eye drops (4x's daily)
    Warm eye compresses
    Eye lid cleaning with saline (I could only find the pads. Is that okay?)
    Systane eye gel (this seemed optional, but I'll try it)
    Sleeping mask
    Humidifier
    NO FANS!

She told me in two months (but more like January/February) I'll be back in contacts. She was very empathic towards my distress with glasses, but told to "keep my eye on the prize". I hope this works!

Good to hear!

But what will they do against your blocked glands? I mean, many people have problems like this - actually I think, I might have blocked glands too. But just "curing" it isn't that simple, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by OompaLoompa View Post
      Good to hear!

But what will they do against your blocked glands? I mean, many people have problems like this - actually I think, I might have blocked glands too. But just "curing" it isn't that simple, is it?
      Hi there!

Believe me, I had the same reaction. The doctor said I'm "not a 60 year old woman who has been letting it build for 40 years, so it's not as bad". I asked if I would need Lipflow (which I would LOVE, it's just the price that would kill me). She said she would rather see if I can take care of it on my own first, and then we'll look at that option. For my sake, I hope it's that simple. :-/

Comment

You're in good hands with Dr Korb and his staff. I flew half way around across the country to see him. I just wish I had gone sooner. Besides the bumps I had the same diagnosis as you but it was more severe, also I was only partially blinking. In addition to the regimen you outlined I was instructed to do two sessions of lipiflow within 6 months. About a month after my second treatment it was like night and day. I could visibly see the difference in the consistency of my oil. Unfortunately for me my pain was very severe before I did the treatments and it did not go away after, so Im hoping that by keeping my glands unblocked the pain will eventually subside. I think if I had treated my condition earlier when it wasnt so severe (like yours) I would not have any issues now. I think you will be OK.

One difference in the regimen you outline was that I was instructed to do mineral oil scrub rather saline so I cant really comment on your question but I think you can purchase saline solution in any drug store.

My only critique would be the blinking app. I was not a fan of it. I use stand up on IOS, Its more customizable. If you are only blinking partially like I was, blinking exercises are very important.My glands would block right back without the blinking.

Comment

Hi. This all sounds positive. How did they find out you don't close your eyes all the way when you sleep and what is the remedy?

Also what is the app called please?

Thanks

Comment

Do you have any update with how this is working? How many times a day and how long do you do your warm compresses?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD30 View Post
              You're in good hands with Dr Korb and his staff. I flew half way around across the country to see him. I just wish I had gone sooner. Besides the bumps I had the same diagnosis as you but it was more severe, also I was only partially blinking. In addition to the regimen you outlined I was instructed to do two sessions of lipiflow within 6 months. About a month after my second treatment it was like night and day. I could visibly see the difference in the consistency of my oil. Unfortunately for me my pain was very severe before I did the treatments and it did not go away after, so Im hoping that by keeping my glands unblocked the pain will eventually subside. I think if I had treated my condition earlier when it wasnt so severe (like yours) I would not have any issues now. I think you will be OK.

One difference in the regimen you outline was that I was instructed to do mineral oil scrub rather saline so I cant really comment on your question but I think you can purchase saline solution in any drug store.

My only critique would be the blinking app. I was not a fan of it. I use stand up on IOS, Its more customizable. If you are only blinking partially like I was, blinking exercises are very important.My glands would block right back without the blinking.
              I apologize for my delayed response. I cannot tell you how comforting it is to know that someone has a similar problem that is being treated by the same doctor, but I am so sorry for your pain. I truly hope you are able to find relief.

Also, thank you so much for the advice with the application. I will try the one you suggested. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Seth94 View Post
                Do you have any update with how this is working? How many times a day and how long do you do your warm compresses?
                Hello! So far everything seems to be going ok. My left eye was a little sore in the beginning from the blinking exercises, but it's feeling better now. My eyes are much whiter, but again I feel my left eye isn't quite there yet. I do a hot compress once a day (at night). I can find Dr. Korb's method if you feel it may be helpful? I have a follow up appointment on the 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by fourchimneys View Post
                  Hi. This all sounds positive. How did they find out you don't close your eyes all the way when you sleep and what is the remedy?

Also what is the app called please?

Thanks
                  Hi! The doctor had me close my eyes and then she used a light to see how much light was escaping from underneath my eyelids. So far everything seems to be going ok, but I'll now for sure on the 20th. The app I use is "Donald Korb Blinking Training". Hope that helps!

Comment

Hi. What else do you do that might be helping?

Comment

What sleep mask?

Comment

Originally posted by fourchimneys View Post
                        Hi. What else do you do that might be helping?
                        Hi there! Sorry again for the delayed reply. Everything I have been doing is listed above. The sleep mask I bought was just a cheap one from CVS, so I should probably get something a little better. I did meet with my doctor last Friday. She noticed a 50% improvement and she also expressed my upper and lower lids to speed up the process (not Lipiflow). I've noticed a huge difference! I plan on writing a separate post about it. My next appointment is in January. I hope that helps!

Comment

Ashley how are you now?

Comment

Working...
                          X