This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read this

In may 2014, I woke up one day and my eyes felt horribly painful with no reason. I went to my regular opht, she took a look at my eyes and told me nothing was wrong with them, they were "just dry". I was shocked : how could that be possible? How could I be in so much PAIN if everything was ok, or at least, not severe? You know what happened next : the hours spent looking for explanations online, and for a doctor who could help me in France, etc. 3 months later I met Dr Doan, specialized in ocular surface diseases, and my nightmare became true : "your eyes are severely dry, you have a chronic disease called meibomian gland dysfunction". Hello new life.

At 26, with my borderline personality disorder, it was hard to accept. From May 2014 to august 2015, I never stopped wearing sunglasses or tinted glasses. Nothing helped, the pain was horrible, and all the drops, remedies, caps, diets were not helping. I was a mess, coping the best I could, waking up at 6 am four times a week to lift weights before going to work because sweating made my eyes feel better.

Things got slowly better in august 2015 with no more explanation or reason. I wish I COULD tell you what magic trick I used, but I can't. Now my eyes feel so much better and each day I am grateful for this because I went through hell. I just needed to post this to give you HOPE because when I was at my worst, feeling my eyes burning 24/24, without the ability to just OPEN them more than 3 secs, I was contemplating suicide seriously.

I'm not cured. I have recurrent "flare ups" that can take weeks, but it always get better with time.

What helped me is just acceptance. I don't want to give you any psychology speech here, but stopping to fight the pain was the best thing I've ever done. Because I was not able to get any relief, becoming frustrated for something I couldn't fix was making myself even more depressed, stressed, worried, and obviously the pain was worse. I think accepting that I had a disability that may never go away was key. Now when I have a flare up after a quiet break I just try to stay calm and remember time heals all wounds. That for now I can't do anything to feel better except closing my eyes, listening to an audiobook, sleeping, anything that doesn't require my eyes... and I accept it. I accept it even if I feel this is not fair, because I'm young and I would better watch TV series all night long or go out with friends, even if I wish things were different, well... they're not. I'm plagued with this and I don't have a choice.

Better living with this that against it, because obviously medicine can't do much for us at the present moment.

Please stay strong.

If your dry eye syndrome came out of the blue like mine, it may just go without explanation too. But remember I am not cured by any means. I just went from "everyday pain" to chronic pain. But honestly if that's the only way for me to get any relief, I'm fine with it.

Love ❤️
    Last edited by dominorose; 21-Nov-2016, 12:47.

Good post and well done clem I treat blepharitis as a multi factoral condition , lifestyle choices and mindset can have a huge effect on Immuntiy and heathy inflammatory responses ..
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Comment

Haha Mario you're stalkin me !! but thank you anyway <3 you've been a great support during hard times you know.

Comment

Dominorose,

I have read your post several times and totally agree with everything you have said. I remember speaking with you years ago and what a low point we were both at. I am also better (tolerable) now. I have a full time job in a well lit place and as long as I continue treating the inflammation, it seems to be okay. I have not come to fully accepting it yet, but I want to. I resonate with what you said about one day waking up, eyes burning and a doctor telling you "you have MGD and it will be chronic" I will always remember that day. I have no idea what could have happened that brought this on and thats the hard part. The "what did I do wrong?" One day I will come to just accept, keep treating and not obsessing. It sounds nice lol I wish you all the best

Comment

thanks for sharing some positive news rose, i see many on here improve but don't often make a post for it and so we dont get reminded that people can improve. so this is encouraging, wish more would do this, in the darkest times many will read this post over and over.
          i find a study that showed that depression can play a part on dry eye, i posted it up on the forums today under the depression forum part, maybe as you improved your depression it helped your dry eyes too? worth a read.
          People have recovered, so can we.
          www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Faith: yes I remember you what have you done to treat the inflammation? I think we're not responsible for this problem, I see it like having acne or something like that... Some are more prone to these kind of problems :/

Waterbee: I think acceptance is the trick. But I'm not convinced of the link between depression and DES because it would oversimplify things

Comment

Working...
            X